Whorlton Hall, Panorama. 22/05/2019.

Rev

BBC News - Whorlton Hall: Hospital 'abused' vulnerable adults
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48367071

Anyone else watch this?

Great programme, top class investigative reporting into a facility for vulnerable adults.

How on earth do seemingly normal people become such barbarians in a profession and environment that should be about caring and helping?

What hope for a decent society, when those trusted with the health and wellbeing of its most vulnerable members behave in such a callous way?

How on earth did such people gain employment in such a sector?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Anyone else watch this?

Great programme, top class investigative reporting into a facility for vulnerable adults.

How on earth do seemingly normal people become such barbarians in a profession and environment that should be about caring and helping?

What hope for a decent society, when those trusted with the health and wellbeing of its most vulnerable members behave in such a callous way?

It was a pretty upsetting watch to be honest - but is yet another example of where privatising health and social care falls down.

This is a private hospital that takes the patients that the NHS has no capacity for. But takes the NHS funding for each patient.

The line that stuck out for me was when the head of Cygnet said "the safety and care of our patients is of the utmost priority"

That is demonstrably not true - they have profits to make and shareholders to please. Cygnet is owned by a massive US private health care company. In that situation patient care never comes first. Even if it comes a close second that's still not good enough

Cygnet take millions of ££ from the NHS every year. That's our taxes

But we're probably digressing into the Politics thread...

I heard some footage from this program on 5 live on my way to work.

How any of the employees identified can ever be employed in any role involving care would be beyond me.

It was abuse of the highest order and should be investigated and criminal offences/charges brought against them and the management.

(Didn't see the program and 5 live didn't mention any punishment, so sorry if it is being tackled)

6 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

It was abuse of the highest order and should be investigated and criminal offences/charges brought against them and the management.

(Didn't see the program and 5 live didn't mention any punishment, so sorry if it is being tackled)

There is a police investigation against a large number of individuals - i just hope they can find the right charges. Sounds like a lot of agency staff were used. Which I suppose goes some way to explain why they gave so little of a crap about patient care ?

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Anyone else watch this?

It’s a disgrace,even more of a disgrace is that I wasn’t shocked or surprised.

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Anyone else watch this?

Unfortunately it's not just in the adult sector either. Some of the things that happened to us as kids when we were in "care" were frightening and I mean psycholgically as well as physically.

As far as I can make out, it's better these days but it still goes on.

I met a couple of young homeless teenagers a couple of months back just to try and have a chat and give them a boost. The reason they are now homeless? Things were so bad in the childrens homes they were in, they felt better off leaving.

I've said for ages that adults are evil. a lot have zero patience and get so angry with the people they're supposed to be taking care of that they lash out, or worse. I have no clue how someone can cross that line. it's beyond sick.

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Unfortunately it's not just in the adult sector either. Some of the things that happened to us as kids when we were in "care" were frightening and I mean psycholgically as well as physically.

As far as I can make out, it's better these days but it still goes on.

Was talking to a friend the other day about the City Council fostering services - they can't meet the demand to place kids, so now there are private fostering companies that they have to pay to take the extra demand. The Council are still ultimately responsible for the kids, but the private services take the money. Fostering breakdowns are far higher amongst the privately placed kids - and why? Because the private companies don't bother doing the same level of careful matching, and don't offer the same level of support to the kids and the parents. Again - why not? Because that would eat into their profit margin and make it not worth their while. A diabolical situation for the children

Sith Happens

What i don't get is why these people go into these jobs? Do the jobs make them bullies, or do they go into it knowing they can bully people.

Its despicable behaviour. Imagine being a family member seeing your daughter/brother/mum etc treated like this. I just can't.

Hopefully those identified will end up behind bars.

My girlfriend works for the company. It's important to point out Cygent took charge of Whorlton Hall after this investigation took place. Still, they're a terrible company to be a part of as I have discovered through evenings of tears and anger. 

The truth is with most care homes, many of the staff are not properly qualified. Because the pay is below that of many fast food chains, there is a huge demand for care jobs. As a result, these companies will happily employ anyone who has a clean DBS check, no experience and no qualifications. Training is non-existent. The rotas for a long time were a complete joke. She was having to work day and night shifts on the same week with no proper days off in between. Hardly any weekends free. Thankfully this has been improved under her new manager. 

I detest the thought of these companies making millions of pounds off vulnerable people, who pay £250 per night to sleep at a home. A member of staff on nights for a 12 hour shift will be paid £90-100, so where does the rest of the money go? That's right, in the company back pocket. It's a disgrace. They take advantage of good staff, employ people without the correct training and robbing families of their bank accounts.

Hate them.   

Archived