Random Rams out and about

sawley_ram

Not sure if this one's  been covered before... where is the most unlikely place you've encountered a Rams fan?

I climbed the Old Man of Conniston in the Lakes in March. When we got to the summit and took a break in extremely bleak, windy conditions, a bloke appeared out of the fog with (presumably) his daughter. I noticed the Derby Ram on his jacket and obviously got talking. Turns out he moved from Spondon to the Lakes and lived in the street that joins my grandparents road. He stopped a few mins and then headed off.

I was in Montpellier in southern France once on a city break and the tour guide asked where we were from. I never, ever say Nottingham and say near Derby. His eyes lit up and said "Yes, Derby County!". Not a fan, but a nice recognition moment.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On holiday in Tuscany and bumped into a Ram fan.

Recife - Brazil, there is a town called Derby and several people with Rams shirts wandering around the neighbourhood.

I have encountered several people around the world, who when they get talking are supposedly fans but with no real substance, however, nice that they try.

Occasionally bumped into one or two in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

I was sat in a small pub in Prinsengracht, Amsterdam with my ex and this middle aged Dutch guy, in hearing my voice, asked if I was English. I confirmed that I'm English and he asked where from. I replied with the usual "a small city in the centre of England called Derby". His response to this was "Ahhh! Brian Clough, what a legend, you guys were good! What happened to you?"

Bumped into two separate couples while walking around Carsington Res today in the sunshine. I had my Derby training top on and both stopped and chatted about Wembley.

Both had managed to get their tickets too!

It was random and unlikely because I should have been at work ?

These are great I'm glad people are associating Clough with us too.

@BathRam72 - I looked at the Brazil link and that's brill. Although it seems to be originally connected to a horse racing Derby I'm glad they're wearing Derby shirts ? 

There is a town in New Zealand called Masterton founded by a Derby man, where they have a Derby street. No idea if they wander around in Derby shirts but I know they wanted to twin with the city.

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I was cycling through Kenya yesterday, and came across this tiny village in the middle of nowhere.  All of a sudden, dozens of local kids started the bounce, waving their Derby flags!

Brought a tear to my eye!  ?

You better start peddling quicker or you won't arrive at Wembley on time

1 hour ago, sawley_ram said:

These are great I'm glad people are associating Clough with us too.

@BathRam72 - I looked at the Brazil link and that's brill. Although it seems to be originally connected to a horse racing Derby I'm glad they're wearing Derby shirts ? 

There is a town in New Zealand called Masterton founded by a Derby man, where they have a Derby street. No idea if they wander around in Derby shirts but I know they wanted to twin with the city.

Yes. I think the locals all be Brazilian love all things football and they just associated it with the RAMS. 

May have mentioned this before.

When i was on my honeymoon in Phuket, Thailand in 2016 i was wearing a Derby shirt. A Thai waiter pointed out the Ram and said he supported Derby. He said he supported Derby because he always used to play as them on FIFA in the Poom, Stimac, Wanchope era.

Archived