Gary Cahill

Waffle

When we played Chelski in the cup, I thought he looked slow and struggled against Marriott and Mount running at him. He also wasn’t spectacular bringing the ball out from the back. Not sure he would be worth the wages, but his experience may be vital IF we get promoted.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do get promoted 

If we do sign him 

We can only hope he is better than the last centre half we signed to shore up the defence after promotion . 

Step forward the wonder that was ...

Claude Davies ?

1 minute ago, bucktwo said:

If we do get promoted 

If we do sign him 

We can only hope he is better than the last centre half we signed to shore up the defence after promotion . 

Step forward the wonder that was ...

Claude Davies ?

Sheffield Utd were laffing their cocks off at that one.....

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I do relish a marquee signing........

.....shows our intent. ?

The best one was Ooo Marquee Wright.

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

Sheffield Utd were laffing their cocks off at that one.....

But wierdly, they still seem to rate him too?

I can understand Frank’s thinking here.

We have a very young side with very little in the way of Premier League and top level experience and it is this kind of signing that can make a difference.

Looking at the impact João Moutinho has had at Wolves this season with his leadership, experience, nous, and calmness under pressure, I am sure we will be looking at someone to play a similar role in our team.

I am not sure it will be Cahill. He will want first team football and I suspect his wages will be too high, and what’s more I think we will move heaven and earth to sign Tomori if we go up.

But as we signed Cole in January, it seems consistent with Frank’s thinking to add someone with mileage on the clock to be the dressing room leader and guide the players making the step up.

I think this would be a decent move, provided his wages aren't astronomical... and we're playing in the Premier League.

He's only 33, which isn't really that old for a CB, and not getting in the Chelsea side, regardless of how poorly they've performed this year, hardly means he's passed it. He's also still getting picked for the England squad, and we're actually decent now!

Obviously having Frank may persuade him to take a greater cut in wages than he'd consider elsewhere, and his Derbyshire links could play in our favour.

You'd want to stick with Tomori, if we get him back, and Keogh purely for the fact that they've earned it. But the fact is we have no idea how either would handle the step up, so if either player struggles we'd need someone like Cahill. He could be our Paul McGrath, our Taribo West... our Alan Stubbs.

4 hours ago, JohnHarkes said:

I think this would be a decent move, provided his wages aren't astronomical... and we're playing in the Premier League.

He's only 33, which isn't really that old for a CB, and not getting in the Chelsea side, regardless of how poorly they've performed this year, hardly means he's passed it. He's also still getting picked for the England squad, and we're actually decent now!

Obviously having Frank may persuade him to take a greater cut in wages than he'd consider elsewhere, and his Derbyshire links could play in our favour.

You'd want to stick with Tomori, if we get him back, and Keogh purely for the fact that they've earned it. But the fact is we have no idea how either would handle the step up, so if either player struggles we'd need someone like Cahill. He could be our Paul McGrath, our Taribo West... our Alan Stubbs.

Or Dave Mackay

22 hours ago, sage said:

Can't see it. We play with a high line as we press high. Therefore we need CBs with pace. Cahill is slower than Keogh.

Style of play

"Cahill is known for his technical ability, powerful heading in defence and attack, volleying, and good tackling. The centre back also has an impressive goal-scoring record from defence. Former Chelsea manager André Villas-Boas said of Cahill, "I think his technical attributes are immense and his pace is fantastic." Despite being a defender, Cahill is noted for his technical ability and distribution, and occasionally, for his finishing prowess, and strength with his head. A quick, consistent and reliable centreback, Cahill is also known for his positioning and his ability to read the game"

30 minutes ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Style of play

"Cahill is known for his technical ability, powerful heading in defence and attack, volleying, and good tackling. The centre back also has an impressive goal-scoring record from defence. Former Chelsea manager André Villas-Boas said of Cahill, "I think his technical attributes are immense and his pace is fantastic." Despite being a defender, Cahill is noted for his technical ability and distribution, and occasionally, for his finishing prowess, and strength with his head. A quick, consistent and reliable centreback, Cahill is also known for his positioning and his ability to read the game"

How long ago was Vilas-Boas manager ? 

Archived