A terrible record we hold that might be gone soon

Duracell

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in the pub watching this match and said to me dad- wonder who has the record for the worst defeat as Watford went 5 down. “Bet it’s bloody us” I said before checking Wikipedia and there it was, another awful record we unsurprisingly hold. We really are a special team, dunno how we all survive through the pain sometimes? We really are beyond any other team

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Was in the pub watching this match and said to me dad- wonder who has the record for the worst defeat as Watford went 5 down. “Bet it’s bloody us” I said before checking Wikipedia and there it was, another awful record we unsurprisingly hold. We really are a special team, dunno how we all survive through the pain sometimes? We really are beyond any other team

Yes we lost that day and we came second in the whole competition 

You’ve got to get to the final to set that record. And we did win it eventually. 

There are teams that have never been to a final, and teams that have never won it. 

Like the 11 points season. Forest can take the piss, but where were they while we were amassing those 11 points. At least we’ve won the league, twice. 

There are teams (like Leeds and forest) where entire generations can’t remember the last time they were in the top league. 

13 hours ago, Duracell said:

Remember being really disappointed with the view as well. Not a good day out all round.

7B249A47-7202-47BD-97E8-3401D73695CE.jpeg

Spiffing good show posting this...I am 50th cloth cap from far left...front row. All together now "Who is the nasty gentleman in the black who needs spectacles" or "I say you Bury chaps, you really are a bunch of soft soccer fans".

I take it you know what year we were formed, and what year we won the FA Cup?

Now, where's my tin hat...

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

You’ve got to get to the final to set that record. And we did win it eventually. 

There are teams that have never been to a final, and teams that have never won it. 

Like the 11 points season. Forest can take the piss, but where were they while we were amassing those 11 points. At least we’ve won the league, twice. 

There are teams (like Leeds and forest) where entire generations can’t remember the last time they were in the top league. 

Oh yeah it ain’t something you can take the piss out of if you’re a supporter of some random arse club down the leagues like Wrexham, it just is astounding how one team can hold so many poor records?

But you’ve got to be in it to win it, and so we did.... eventually (vaguely recall us also holding the record for most consecutive final losses)

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I take it you know what year we were formed, and what year we won the FA Cup?

Now, where's my tin hat...

I'm pretty sure I had to answer the first question when joining DCFC Fans? It's pretty much ingrained in the culture of the club so no issues there.

Without checking Wikipedia, I know we won the FA Cup in 1946 against Charlton. I'm pretty sure we scored 4. Was it a 4-1 win?

Edit: Just checked up and I've survived this quiz round. Don't think I knew that it was after extra time though!

10 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I'm pretty sure I had to answer the first question when joining DCFC Fans? It's pretty much ingrained in the culture of the club so no issues there.

Without checking Wikipedia, I know we won the FA Cup in 1946 against Charlton. I'm pretty sure we scored 4. Was it a 4-1 win?

Edit: Just checked up and I've survived this quiz round. Don't think I knew that it was after extra time though!

And if memory serves (I ain't checking), I'm pretty certain we're the only club to win the FA Cup after losing a game in an earlier round!  (I know the reason, but I'll let others enjoy the googling for such a fantastic fact!)  :-)

11 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

A player scored in both ends and the ball burst, neither of which has happened since.

Absolute carnage in post-war Britain. No one sure which end to put the ball into the net. Derby were actually good. Everyone got really randy because they were pumped off adrenaline from fighting Hitler and hadn’t seen a woman for 6 years. The sort of climate which made the country panic and create the NHS, which turned out to be a good move.

We deserved everything we got in that game. As @loweman2 will confirm, we wore red that day - grrrr!

'Rams Buryed' read The News Of The World the next day, before rumours abounded that they had been listening in to the carrier pigeon messages sent by Edward VII to his many lovers.

34 minutes ago, Duracell said:

A player scored in both ends and the ball burst, neither of which has happened since.

Tommy Hutchinson scored at both ends in the 1982 final. The ball also burst in the 1947 final, for the second year running. But besides that you post is factually perfect ?

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Tommy Hutchinson scored at both ends in the 1982 final. The ball also burst in the 1947 final, for the second year running. But besides that you post is factually perfect ?

My inaccurate post was brought to you by My Dad, sharing incorrect trivia with me since 1994.  

18 minutes ago, Duracell said:

My inaccurate post was brought to you by My Dad, sharing incorrect trivia with me since 1994.  

Just remembered, Gary Mabbutt did it in 1987 also. Scored at both ends I mean, I'm not saying he burst.

Archived