Sign in to follow this  
jono

Chernobyl

On 04/06/2019 at 14:44, EnigmaRam said:

Sorry but after watching the show there’s no way you could get me anywhere near that place. Top gear was close enough for me thanks.

back on topic, a very harrowing show that was a real eye opener to how close they were of wiping out entire countries.

A must watch

Each to their own... I haven't watched the show yet but the radiation in the zone isn't what it was back then by any stretch - In 7/8 hours in the zone we got as much radiation as you would on a 3 hour flight. Yes there are some dangerous parts but unless you're stupid and disobey your guides or eat dirt or something, there really is minimal risk involved.

there's a documentary called something like "Earth without humans", it goes to Chernobyl to show what happens when there are no humans around. 20mtr tall trees in the middle of football pitches and Wild Boar roaming the streets, it's fascinating.

On 17/05/2019 at 19:18, maxjam said:

SPOILERS

Yeah they have already alluded to the fact its pumping out a toxic cloud, the bit I'm talking about is when they ask for 3 volunteers to basically (very quickly and very painfully) kill themselves by going into radioactive water to manually drain the tanks preventing a massive explosion 40x more powerful than Hiroshima - if thats true we came really close to it being far, far worse than it was.

Yeah, its powerful stuff.  The Russian politician played by Stellan Skarsgard went from calm and authoritative to a broken man in a single scene when he was told out of the blue he probably only had a week left to live.

It's amazing that they survived for another 20 odd years after going into the tanks.  I think one of them still is...

Absolutely astonishing piece of tv.  Gripped me from the off.  Even the Mrs put down her phone at certain points.  The scene where the volunteers go out onto the roof to shift some of the graphite had her close to hyperventilating...

One thing that I couldn't get over though was the fact Paul Ritter was in such an prominent role, and with being a Friday Night Dinner fan, I was expecting his to shouting "poo on it!" when something went wrong...

The frightening thing is this will happen again. Sellafield is suppose to be on it knees with little capital investment and I’m sure there are more out there on the verge. Scary scary things with the potential to wipe out entire regions.......still I can charge my phone 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The frightening thing is this will happen again. Sellafield is suppose to be on it knees with little capital investment and I’m sure there are more out there on the verge. Scary scary things with the potential to wipe out entire regions.......still I can charge my phone 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

As opposed to fossil fuels for our energy needs - no major issues there that I can see......