Chernobyl

jono

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Only just realised what a absolutely catastrophic event this was, but even more what a apocalyptic disaster it could of been. Great show, so sad and powerful, wow 

Did you mean to post this in a 'review of notts forest season' thread?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Did you mean to post this in a 'review of notts forest season' thread?

Haha it would of read a lot more dark and disastrous if I had ?

Started this last night, really enjoying it. Only gripe is that everyone has British accents; kind of ruins the immersion of it all. May as well be about the Willington power plant if it was nuclear powered instead.

On 25/05/2019 at 19:45, TexasRam said:

Only just realised what a absolutely catastrophic event this was, but even more what a apocalyptic disaster it could of been. Great show, so sad and powerful, wow 

Who's to say it won't be? Radioactive fires last hundreds of years - for all we know the core could be quietly burning away as we speak. I think that is one element where the series will maybe struggle to keep up the tension, it's the ongoing quietness of the danger of radiation that is ever present long after the bang of the explosion. We'll see but the last episode lost a bit of the edginess - shooting dogs is not quite on the same level as wading through radioactive water to turn off the water coolers.

10 minutes ago, mastah said:

Started this last night, really enjoying it. Only gripe is that everyone has British accents; kind of ruins the immersion of it all. May as well be about the Willington power plant if it was nuclear powered instead.

Apparently they did this on purpose so as not to have a load of people doing really bad Ivana Humpalot accents.

As someone who lived in that part of the world in the mid-90s I have to say I am really impressed by the way they make it look, it really is very authentic in terms of small stuff like the way the apartments are laid out, clothes etc.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Apparently they did this on purpose so as not to have a load of people doing really bad Ivana Humpalot accents..

That's fair enough I suppose. I'd rather have a lack of immersion due to British accents than a lack of immersion because of really bad Russian accents.

6 minutes ago, mastah said:

That's fair enough I suppose. I'd rather have a lack of immersion due to British accents than a lack of immersion because of really bad Russian accents.

It’s explained well on the podcast that goes along with the show. Worth checking out to get the most out of it. 

Episode 4 didn’t do much for me unfortunately, the weakest one. Having said that it was still a fascinating hour of television!

19 minutes ago, mastah said:

The accents thing in all dramas is interesting. The best use I ever saw was in a TV film about Poland and Lech Wawensa.

He was a docker and a trade unionist. Instead of doing dodgy Polish accents the actors were all broad scouse .. it worked and gave a relateable reality. 

Lucky enough to take a trip to Chernobyl/Pripyat a few weeks ago but haven't seen this yet so I'm thinking of binging it this weekend - is this available on Now TV if I got myself an entertainment pass?

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

As someone who lived in that part of the world in the mid-90s I have to say I am really impressed by the way they make it look, it really is very authentic in terms of small stuff like the way the apartments are laid out, clothes etc.

It’s still the same

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It’s still the same

Oh it's not - I still go back regularly and the change between the Soviet Union and modern day Eastern Europe is like night and day. Of course, Kiev, Moscow and the like are in themselves light years ahead of the provinces but the step change that part of the world has gone through in the last quarter century is probably only bettered by China. Anyway, that's the opinion of this particular poster.

Unless you're referring to Pripyat, which is exactly the same as the day it was evacuated. ?

17 hours ago, LE_Ram said:

Lucky enough to take a trip to Chernobyl/Pripyat a few weeks ago but haven't seen this yet so I'm thinking of binging it this weekend - is this available on Now TV if I got myself an entertainment pass?

Who did you arrange the trip with? My fiancée has said she wants to go for a while now and think I might arrange the trip for her as a surprise.

On 30/05/2019 at 11:30, BaaLocks said:

Who's to say it won't be? Radioactive fires last hundreds of years - for all we know the core could be quietly burning away as we speak. I think that is one element where the series will maybe struggle to keep up the tension, it's the ongoing quietness of the danger of radiation that is ever present long after the bang of the explosion. We'll see but the last episode lost a bit of the edginess - shooting dogs is not quite on the same level as wading through radioactive water to turn off the water coolers.

Apparently they did this on purpose so as not to have a load of people doing really bad Ivana Humpalot accents.

Yep heard that on an interview... but I would just prefer they used authentic actors and have subtitles. 

I actually think it has got better as it's gone on, scary stuff and a good slow burn tension.

On 31/05/2019 at 08:43, mastah said:

Who did you arrange the trip with? My fiancée has said she wants to go for a while now and think I might arrange the trip for her as a surprise.

We did the one day tour from Kiev with Chernobyl-Tour

https://www.chernobyl-tour.com/english/48-one-day-trip-to-the-chernobyl-zone-and-prypyat-town.html

Would highly recommend at least a two day tour to fully take in everything but this is good if you're just in Kiev for a long weekend - great city, very cheap too

Sorry but after watching the show there’s no way you could get me anywhere near that place. Top gear was close enough for me thanks.

back on topic, a very harrowing show that was a real eye opener to how close they were of wiping out entire countries.

A must watch

Finished. Brilliant. I love a historical drama, made me research so much more about it. My wife was well impressed when I was able to explain how it exploded before it was explained in the finale. I almost got it word for word. I think I could work in a nuclear plant now. 

One bone of contention though. Everyone’s finding out they’ve probably got less than 5 years to live cos they’ve been in such close proximity to the core. And they’re receiving this news while sucking on a cancer stick and lighting the next one. If the radiation isn’t going to get them, then they’re all likely to die of lung cancer anyway. 

Archived