Chernobyl

jono

Wow ! Just wow. Brilliantly acted, script is excellent, the feel, atmosphere and depictions of harsh reality are very special.

Didnt want my cheese, IPad or any distractions.. help captive by an excellent drama. Decidedly scary too !

I’d highly recommend it 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the first couple of episodes myself - I don't really know to much about what happened at Chernobyl (apart from the obvious) and I haven't read anything about the show so don't know to what extent its been dramatised, but if that bit at the end of episode 2 is true (the bit where they are after 3 'volunteers') a large part of Europe was lucky not to get totally destroyed killing 100s of millions of people.

Riveting watch so far.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Watched the first couple of episodes myself - I don't really know to much about what happened at Chernobyl (apart from the obvious) and I haven't read anything about the show so don't know to what extent its been dramatised, but if that bit at the end of episode 2 is true (the bit where they are after 3 'volunteers') a large part of Europe was lucky not to get totally destroyed killing 100s of millions of people.

Riveting watch so far.

Not immediately but a large number of people will die sooner than otherwise .Some parts of the UK couldn't sell livestock because of contamination .

20 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Not immediately but a large number of people will die sooner than otherwise .Some parts of the UK couldn't sell livestock because of contamination .

SPOILERS

Yeah they have already alluded to the fact its pumping out a toxic cloud, the bit I'm talking about is when they ask for 3 volunteers to basically (very quickly and very painfully) kill themselves by going into radioactive water to manually drain the tanks preventing a massive explosion 40x more powerful than Hiroshima - if thats true we came really close to it being far, far worse than it was.

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I love the fascinating characters and politics. Scientists, politicians, brave brave people, ostriches, committees, fools and geniuses. The mix makes for powerful drama. 

Yeah, its powerful stuff.  The Russian politician played by Stellan Skarsgard went from calm and authoritative to a broken man in a single scene when he was told out of the blue he probably only had a week left to live.

I read somewhere that it exposed the paranoia around admitting errors in a certain political climate which provided the final push for Glasnost that lead to the fall of communism 

politics aside, some very brave people gave their lives to try and put it right 

On 17/05/2019 at 18:16, jono said:

Wow ! Just wow. Brilliantly acted, script is excellent, the feel, atmosphere and depictions of harsh reality are very special.

Didnt want my cheese, IPad or any distractions.. help captive by an excellent drama. Decidedly scary too !

I’d highly recommend it 

I'm sold bit where can I watch it?

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

is the whole lot available? or is it still airing episodes weekly?

Yeah its on Sky catchup or whatever its called. Its only 2 episodes in so you've not missed to much.

Only just realised what a absolutely catastrophic event this was, but even more what a apocalyptic disaster it could of been. Great show, so sad and powerful, wow 

Archived