LB Dilemma Has Cole got 90 mins in him

S8TY

Must admit I’m concerned at having Cole at lb against a pacey winger, our record with him in the team isn’t great and he was torn apart last time against villa. Not sure he’s got the pace to do the job anymore getting up and down the pitch and he could be a weak spot villa could expose. That said, he does have the experience of big games like this, and maybe his presence will help calm the team down, and with it being his last game in football quite possibly... he’ll want to go out with a win.

Id still be slightly tempted to play wisdom, but if we’re talking round pegs in round holes then it’s either Cole or macdonald, it isn’t the game to bloody youngsters and Cole is the cover so this is what he’s here for. Guess went just have to hope for the best

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a worry of mine to be honest, I wouldn't be if he wasn't injured beforehand. I remember elmohamady giving him a lot of problems when he was at Chelsea. I believe in him, he will be desperate to go out with a win. 

Malone is poo defensively, as savage as it sounds I was happy to see him sent off as I think we will be in much more capable hands defensively with Cole playing. Case in point, in the first leg for their goal his positioning was poor, and on other occasions Tomori had to bail him out for his lack of positioning and pace to track back after standing high up the pitch.  Best left back at the club, becuase even if Forsyth was fit I would much rather have the assured presence of Cole than Forsyth who panics on the ball and goes from looking a good player, to a National league player from 1minute to the next.

35 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Adomah would have had Malone on toast IMO as he gets drawn inside constantly and leaves so much space down that flank

Malones positioning is actually laughably bad, he basically plays like a third centre back at times and would be an overlapping fullback's dream to play against, especially as Lawrence is hardly reliable defensive cover.

Having watched so much of Cole over the years for Chelsea, my natural inclination is to feel comfortable that he's starting but that was a long long time ago. Football is a mental game as much as a physical one so at least he'll have that base covered. Hope he can have one last memorable night in an excellent career filled with big nights...

Cole will let no one down, in fact for myself he will help the team get organised, and he is still a much better defender than Malone will ever be, Ashley has done it at the very top, his experience will benefit the team, and Cole is a winner just like Frank, can see Derby being up for this, and our togetherness will lead us on to the premier league, over a week left, I am so excited already. Once A Ram Always A Ram.

17 hours ago, Saity said:

Bit of a dilemma for Wembley really .....has Cole got 90 mins in him on a big pitch possibly against Adomah ??

Or what are the alternatives Wisdom at LB ? 

My first thoughts as soon as Malone was sent off massive last game of his career ,is it written in the stars though,time will tell

I am ok with Cole starting as helps retain the ball well, but don’t think he will last the 90. Particularly if we play like we did v Leeds away.

Dependant on game situation, we need different types of sub cover available.

If chasing, then anyone but Wisdom. In the QPR final even vs 10 men he barely crossed the half way line.

Big ask for a 38 year old to come in and play potentially 120 minutes of football against quick attacking players like Grealish, Green and Adomah, especially coming back from injury.

That LB spot is cursed. 

This is how I see it ....

when you watch Malone he gives you nightmares and I always watch games recorded on sky again ...and with Malone his positioning / defending at times leaves a lot to be desired but.....we have achieved some of our best results when he’s played and I think that is because he does get forward and for that reason I actually think we might miss him as I don’t see Cole at his age being able to get at Villa and without the fullbacks doing that can leave us a bit pinned in our own half at times and we seem to go long but when Bogle and Malone push on we look more dangerous ...I really hope Ashley has a great game but I don’t see 90 mins in him so they’ll have to be a contingency plan and I think that’ll be Wisdom ....just my opinion of course 

6 hours ago, Saity said:

This is how I see it ....

when you watch Malone he gives you nightmares and I always watch games recorded on sky again ...and with Malone his positioning / defending at times leaves a lot to be desired but.....we have achieved some of our best results when he’s played and I think that is because he does get forward and for that reason I actually think we might miss him as I don’t see Cole at his age being able to get at Villa and without the fullbacks doing that can leave us a bit pinned in our own half at times and we seem to go long but when Bogle and Malone push on we look more dangerous ...I really hope Ashley has a great game but I don’t see 90 mins in him so they’ll have to be a contingency plan and I think that’ll be Wisdom ....just my opinion of course 

Cole is fit. Always has been. No weight on him.  One of the best left backs in the world in the last decade will know how to use his energy throughout the match.  He'll be absolutely fine.  In fact, wouldn't be surprised if he gets an assist

If Cole or Wisdom start I’d expect us to focus our attacks down the right and Bogle given the green light to attack at will. A bit like how Fozzy was allowed to attack while Wisdom stayed back during Mac1

On 18/05/2019 at 00:38, Marriott Ram99 said:

Malone is poo defensively, as savage as it sounds I was happy to see him sent off as I think we will be in much more capable hands defensively with Cole playing. Case in point, in the first leg for their goal his positioning was poor, and on other occasions Tomori had to bail him out for his lack of positioning and pace to track back after standing high up the pitch.  Best left back at the club, becuase even if Forsyth was fit I would much rather have the assured presence of Cole than Forsyth who panics on the ball and goes from looking a good player, to a National league player from 1minute to the next.

Fozzy National League? Give ya head a wobble. Best left back we've had in the last decade.

Having Cole around is a big bonus, won every medal going hugely experienced and actually knows how to defend and can attack very effectively now malone is ok going forward and has a bit of height but defensively fairly naff - left back is not a big concern for me but central midfield might be as holmes in there certainly can’t last 90 minutes and to ask wilson to play there for a full game is a big ask but I wouldn’t be surprised to see lampard get Bryson in there starting against McGinn 

Archived