IF IF IF I can dream...

LondonRam2

hi all

Just a bit of fun whilst we await the Wembley thing...

IF IF IF we were fortunate enough to win at Wembley, if you were FL who would you keep from this season's squad, who would you let go, who of the returnees (e.g. Thorne, Martin) would you keep, which of the loanees (Mount etc) would you try to sign or get on loan again, and who would you look to sign in order to strengthen?  That should keep us all going for a while, the week will just fly by LOL...

A few random thoughts of my own to start you off...

Keep Carson as cover in case Roos is injured or loses form and also sign an apprentice goalie (or promote from the U18s/U23s)?

Try to sign or loan the 'Three Ramateers' (Mount, Wilson, Tomori)?

Gradually bring in guys from the U18s & U23s even just on the bench so that they know they might have a future here, that's how we might be able to stay up (IF IF IF we go up) without going bankrupt LOL?

Give Marriott a go and see what he does, ditto a few others including BOGLE and Lawrence?

The days of Nugent and others are over, from the current squad is there a case for a bit of a clear out depending on contracts etc, or retain as cover?

Much of the above would also apply if we didn't go up actually...

So, starting team for August, whichever league we're in?

Roos

Bogle  ??CB  Tomori  ??LB

Mount   ??CM   Wilson

Lawrence  Marriott  ??LW

For me only the above should definitely start the first game, based on this season's displays plus what we know about the kind of qualities that will be needed for either a Prem season or a successful promotion push to finish 1st or 2nd, thinking especially of stamina & speed.  

Just a bit of fun, not tempting fate at all hence the large number of IFs...

LR2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Parsnip

LOL, I think I just posted what lots of others will now be pondering, including FL.  I didn't sack anyone actually, and yes there's a case for keeping everyone in Wednesday's team on board of course, but teams that do that usually come straight back down again.  These questions will have to be faced sometime whichever league we're in come August, and whichever team wins the playoff final is always at a disadvantage in the PL because you can bet that Norwich and Sheff Utd are already identifying targets and offering contracts because they know where they'll be.  It could also be argued that the losing playoff final team is also at a disadvantage because all the other Championship teams except the two league 1 playoff finalists also know where they'll be and can also plan accordingly.  For all we know we might already have had enquiries along the lines of "if you go up, will you still need so-and-so?"

It's the oldest dilemma in Premier League history, whether to stick or twist?  Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to keep faith with the incumbents and possibly watch them struggle, or whether to spend stupid money on players who under pressure might not be any better (cf. the nightmare of 2007-8).  There's no ideal solution, but I bet that FL has all his lists already prepared for any eventuality hidden away in a secret file somewhere, highly encrypted no doubt LOL.

I suppose I was just asking who would be on your lists if you were him, that's all, whichever league we're in......

LR2

Tough one.

Throwing money at it doesn't work. Fulham were awful this season having spent big money on utter dross. That said, Huddersfield didn't spend enough to improve on last season. Wolves spent smart, but didn't try and change their identity to survival mode.

I think it will of course change who gets offered new contracts. 

If we were to make it Frank would be a big pull for us he's proven he can get promising youngsters on loan and if were were in a higher division ( i'm not saying it until we get there as im supersticious ) then he would get some decent youngsters in maybe permanently 

Regardless of what happens we have been talking about clear outs for an age. The fall out from panic or pressure buys over the last 3-4 seasons. Huge profits from selling Will that didn’t happen, all this will be crystallised this summer ... We are now at a moment of change. 

I don’t know about Mount and Tomori .. would we get them at a half reasonable price ? I’d love either of them. 

The only thing I worry about is paying over 10 million for ordinary players in a vain attempt to stay up. I’d rather were a yo-yo club, husbanding resources for a long term goal of challenging for Europe 5 or 6 years down the line.

After the truely fantastic U18 performance I’d love to see us make an occasional astute signing and focus on self made talent 

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Tough one.

Throwing money at it doesn't work. Fulham were awful this season having spent big money on utter dross. That said, Huddersfield didn't spend enough to improve on last season. Wolves spent smart, but didn't try and change their identity to survival mode.

I think it will of course change who gets offered new contracts. 

Yes, Wolves a good example, but you could already tell they had Premier League quality in their promotion season. 

Archived