Sky delay in UK

FindernRam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

How come last night I get texts from a mate in Italy nearly a minute ahead of seeing it on sky here. He was watching Sky italia! I know they are an hour ahead but that's ridiculous.

Its a minute behind Radio Derby as well, I was once stupid enough to try listening to the radio at the same time as watch Sky and it kept on providing spoilers .

Just now, angieram said:

Is it to do with the delay so they can edit out the swearing chants?

They don't though. they just say sorry for "industrial" language. But ( just a thought) maybe its in case of something nasty happening that is deemed too upsetting for us to see so they can cut the feed.

I watch sky games on NowTV on my computer, and its a good 30 seconds behind Sky on TV, which at least where I alive is about 10 seconds or so behind the radio. Folks were celebrating every goal on here before we'd even started attacking for me ? 

The more steps it has to go through to get to you, the more delayed it will be. Distance doesn't really factor in unless they're in space. Just a second here or there.

If you were just watching it on Sky TV, then I'm not sure as I'm no communications engineer. Perhaps they have a transmission delay when the signal isn't great to improve the end result, as a measure to avoid choppiness?

I get score notifications via the Flashscores App about 45 seconds before Sky via my NOWTV box.

Bloody annoying when I forget to turn notifications off when watching the game on TV - as happened last night...

It’s delayed when streaming just as a matter of technical limitations. They’re encoding the satellite feed and re-uploading it bit by bit and then you’re effectively downloading each segment as you stream it. 

I didn’t notice any delays on Sky (through satellite). 

Sky has been behind the radio for years.  Funnily enough in the first leg of the Brighton play off semi, I watched at the pub, and some nob-head had a radio stuck to his ear for the whole first half, gave the game away on every goal.  A couple of burly lads had a word with him at half time and the radio went away.  What a c-nut!!

I was working away in Italy when we knocked Southampton out of the cup on pennos in January. I got a live video stream and it was miles faster than anything I've ever managed over here. I also had a text stream from an Italian footie site and that was even faster - at least 5 to 10 minutes faster than the BBC texts effort.

Archived