Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

1 hour ago, David said:

Match officials confirmed.

Referee: Paul Tierney

Assistants: Ian Hussin and Adrian Holmes

Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh

Reserve assistant referee: Dan Robathan

That Ian chap was lino at our home leg of the semis.... please tell me he isn't the one who helped pawson change his mind on the penalty.....??

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading Villatalk and they seem to think they're guaranteed a win already. I understand confidence given the two results this season but they've already lifted the trophy on there.

6 minutes ago, Shorty389 said:

That Ian chap was lino at our home leg of the semis.... please tell me he isn't the one who helped pawson change his mind on the penalty.....??

Think he was the other lino - was it Eddie Smart who stuck his fourpenneth in

Holmes and Tierney screwed up a decision on a sterling goal against Watford in march - Tierney overruled Holmes and gave an offside goal this game is so big we don't want any crazy refereeing decisions

Great final for me, my Dads from Redditch and was a boyhood Villa fan. Think he was about 18 when he moved up to Derbyshire. Myself, my brother and the grandkids have fully converted him now.

My grandad is still a villa fan though, but anyway I’ve always kept half an eye on Villa and respected them as a club. Never found there fans to introduce themselves as European champions all the time like that lot down the a52....i work in Nottingham, I’m not exaggerating when I say I must hear about how they’ve won the European cup at least 10 times a week...but at least they actually won it unlike there’s numpties we played the other night.

anyway, a good club with a good team, if we go out there and play like we did the other night, that will do me whatever the result...but we are going to win ????

10 hours ago, admira said:

This isn't for everyone but on the big games, I always stick a sizable bet on the opposition. Any winnings would pay for my match ticket and lessen the pain a teeny weeny bit.

To cover the outlay, if Rams win, I had a pre-season bet on them going up so will benefit from that, will save a couple of hundred quid in fuel by having four less home games to drive to and let's face it, the feeling of euphoria, you really couldn't put a price on.

Exactly the same here. For this very eventuality I have a long-standing bet on the Rams for promotion that pays out a tidy sum. But no amount of money would come close to matching the happiness of us winning the tie, so I'll put all the projected winnings on Villa to qualify.

6 hours ago, WestKentRam said:

The thing that worries me is Cole played LB in the first half at Villa Park when we shipped 4 goals. Malone came on for him at half time. It's too much of a blur from then to recall if Cole was responsible either directly or indirectly for the goals, but how do we go on into this game, with I assume Cole in for suspended Malone, to try and stop a repeat performance if this was a factor?

I really can’t find anything positive to say about Malone. I think he is a very poor LB.

watching the game back he did turn his back and block a couple of shots but that’s it. 

Instead of closing down his man, just back-pedal pointing at him, then not going with the runner, to following tomori to a man only to be told by tomori where he should be, constantly out of position woirh tomori having to cover, the card where it was his poor touch ( he didn’t actually foul him tbf the guy saw the lunge and went over it) the throwing incident, ending up with Lawrence booked also ( we now understand why he perhaps wasn’t ok). I could go on all game, he really is a liability imo, Villa would hammer that flank. I’d rather have a half fit middle aged Cole than Malone,

I really don’t see how he is rated by some people?

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly the same here. For this very eventuality I have a long-standing bet on the Rams for promotion that pays out a tidy sum. But no amount of money would come close to matching the happiness of us winning the tie, so I'll put all the projected winnings on Villa to qualify.

LMAO. I've just done exactly the same! The GF went mad when I told her as she was planning a holiday if we won. Pointed out that if we win we'll be on holiday for a month anyway. Suddenly she's all sweetness and light again ?

On 16/05/2019 at 14:23, Parsnip said:

Micah Richards! I haven't heard that name in a while! God Villa have got a lot of players on their books. Apparently Micah Richards, now 30, is a Villa player but hasn't kicked a ball in years. That's a career plummet - he was the England right back when he was 20ish. Anyone know what happened there? Or did he just suddenly get crap?

He's out of contract at the end of the season and we'll be glad to see him go. It's hard to hate him since he was always just an athlete who took up football and got lucky, and I can't blame him for signing bumper contracts. That said, the idea that he saw himself as the rock at the heart of our defence is laughable. Just a terrible footballer. A bit like a way less exciting Adama Traoré. Absolute beast, but all the technically ability of a toddler in size 13 welly boots.

Also, if you're ever thinking "I wonder what happened to x poo player?", they're probably still on Villa's books, or left in the last year or so.

8 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I really can’t find anything positive to say about Malone. I think he is a very poor LB.

watching the game back he did turn his back and block a couple of shots but that’s it. 

Instead of closing down his man, just back-pedal pointing at him, then not going with the runner, to following tomori to a man only to be told by tomori where he should be, constantly out of position woirh tomori having to cover, the card where it was his poor touch ( he didn’t actually foul him tbf the guy saw the lunge and went over it) the throwing incident, ending up with Lawrence booked also ( we now understand why he perhaps wasn’t ok). I could go on all game, he really is a liability imo, Villa would hammer that flank. I’d rather have a half fit middle aged Cole than Malone,

I really don’t see how he is rated by some people?

It was more on the fact that Lampard had seen something and felt it necessary to take Cole off for Malone at half time in the Villa away game when we'd let in 4 goals. I'm sure they're analysing what happened in the previous Villa games and how we can change it, including with Cole back in.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Are the Sky Sports team going to wear black armbands to show they are grieving for Leeds?

Their commentary on Wednesday was just so biased, wasn't it? Towards the end they sounded as shell-shocked as the Leeds' fans! 

On 16/05/2019 at 19:47, Mick Harford said:

Is it just me, or is it really noticeable how the Villa fans are far less arrogant when coming on here? Yes they have confidence, as they should given the results this season, but seemingly lacking in the "we're going to smash you" bombast that the Leeds lot had.

Genuinely don't think I've seen a more reprehensible lot on social media than Leeds, even their local journos seem to pick and choose what they report on to continue this mythical anti-Leeds conspiracy that they seem to have going on over there.

I've known plenty of Villa fans and they are normally decent.

Archived