Derby County v Aston Villa Play Off Final, Wembley May 27 2019

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you do not mind a visiting Villa fan.

Most Villa fans are happy to be facing Derby, not because we think we'll win but because seeing dirty Leeds go up, or anti-football WBA, would be bloody awful.

I'm expecting a very difficult, close game. We've got some wonderful players but we have a tendency to make stupid mistakes and give goals away - although over the last couple of months, our fire power and midfield creativity has made up for it.

Losing a 2nd consecutive final would be hard to take, not because I don't like the Championship but, because we would lose Grealish, Abraham, Mings and possibly McGinn. However, I'd have confidence that Dean Smith would build a squad that could finish top two.

Anyway, good luck, if you are better on the day, so be it. Hope it's a good game and that it's not decided by a dodgy ref decision.

6 hours ago, Ollyvilla said:

Hope you do not mind a visiting Villa fan.

Most Villa fans are happy to be facing Derby, not because we think we'll win but because seeing dirty Leeds go up, or anti-football WBA, would be bloody awful.

I'm expecting a very difficult, close game. We've got some wonderful players but we have a tendency to make stupid mistakes and give goals away - although over the last couple of months, our fire power and midfield creativity has made up for it.

Losing a 2nd consecutive final would be hard to take, not because I don't like the Championship but, because we would lose Grealish, Abraham, Mings and possibly McGinn. However, I'd have confidence that Dean Smith would build a squad that could finish top two.

Anyway, good luck, if you are better on the day, so be it. Hope it's a good game and that it's not decided by a dodgy ref decision.

I think you've just echoed the views of the majority of us.

Not stupidly over confident. Yes, we CAN put in really good performances but most of us have witnessed a couple of stinkers too.

We would like to achieve because we feel we've been close for a number of seasons. But we know theres no right to success.

Generally we don't have anything against villa. You're not a Pulis side, not full of entitlement. Our only doubt is Jack Grealish- hugely skilful but is capable of a bit of play-acting. We're not a big thuggish side so if he's winning many fouls I'll be suspicious that Jack has got the refs number.

So let us look forward to a good game hopefully....given the circumstances. 

All the best for the future lads.

11 hours ago, Ramos said:

I’d go with the team that played the middle part of the Leeds game bar malone of course. 

Roos 

bogle keogh tomori Cole 

Johnson 

Bennett                 Wilson 

Mount 

Lawrence          Marriott 

Then we have waghorn, Holmes and Huddlestone to bring on to shift approach / emphasis. 

I really fear for Ashley Cole, he played in the 4 nil at Villa park and was subbed at HT for Malone. Villa will feed on this, however I don't see any other plausible LB option.

I'd start the match playing the diamond midfield with the below, if Waghorn is fit, if not Bennett for Waggy;

Johnson

Mount                         Wilson

Lawrence

Waghorn                  Marriott

I hope Jack M starts. When we've played out best football this season when he's been involved. Sheff u, West Brom, Man u, Chelsea, Boro, Leeds, etc.  He seems to cause chaos around big CDs when he's on it. I would have my doubts about any of the other forwards we have currently finishing the 4th vs Leeds, but i'd bet 9 times out 10 Jack would finish. Please Frank let little Jack start.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:24, HantsRam said:

I would have Tom in over Holmes and I actually think Marriott and waghorn a bit similar so would prefer to pair each in turn with Bennett. 

Huddz I think will be a liability at Wembley, he will get exposed due to having no legs and when he came on last Wednesday I thought he looked lost. I would prefer either Lawrence or Baby Duane to start at the tip of the diamond if that's the formation we play.

22 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Huddz I think will be a liability at Wembley, he will get exposed due to having no legs and when he came on last Wednesday I thought he looked lost. I would prefer either Lawrence or Baby Duane to start at the tip of the diamond if that's the formation we play.

Wasn't @HantsRam on about Tom Lawrence? 

2 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Villa fans are getting overly confident, same as Leeds were. Would love to wipe their brummy grins off their faces. 

I generally like brummies, they wear misery so well, with humour and stoicism in stark contrast to some *cough* yorkshire *cough* who just get a mixture or confused, angry and bitter.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I generally like brummies, they wear misery so well, with humour and stoicism in stark contrast to some *cough* yorkshire *cough* who just get a mixture or confused, angry and bitter.

Oh don't get me wrong, usually fine people! But there is the select few who know how to push the buttons before the game! 

Archived