Start of the end of reality TV?

Wolfie

Now that the Jeremy Kyle show has been axed - and after the recent death & other mental health issues surrounding Love Island, I'm wondering if this is the end of voyeuristic reality TV.

Hope so, though there will be thousands of people now having to actually work from home.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly that sort of TV is massively popular, but always seemed to be problematic.

I remember the first series of Big Brother was incredible, purely because it was so unlike anything we'd ever seen. I think I'd bored of it by season 3 and haven't watched anything of that format since.

They obviously knew the popularity was slipping, as they were constantly trying to "freshen" the format - which invariably meant "make it more of a circus" - and yeah it was always going to end like this. Very sad

I'm not a fan of reality television really and thought the Jeremy Kyle show was dreadful. I only watched it a couple of times so I could make comments about it but it really annoyed me when Kyle laid into people who's failed the lie detector test. Who does he think he is? It's cheap television exploiting vulnerable people. I'd much rather watch a good drama and there have been several recently. Serious documentaries about issues raised on programmes such as Kyle are a better way of dealing with things. Reality television has had it's day in my opinion.

Reality TV is a danger to society, my vision and my hearing. When producers and editors can easily manipulate footage to create "drama" for the audience, who through the power of social media, can ruin a person emotionally. Because of trolls and fickle minded morons on social media, reality TV as it is currently manufactured now, cannot continue. People easily forget these shows are mostly fake and scripted. Participating on reality TV shows might seem egotistical, at the end of the day these "contestants" are human beings. Destroying them with verbal abuse in public and online like they're on a level with rapists and paedophiles is unacceptable.  

Not a chance it’s over, sorry. 

It will be rebranded, rewritten and back on your screens next year, that I can promise you.

Same with Love Island, they might drop the name but you’re still going to have a bunch of fame hungry wannabes dropped on some island and scripted intercourse their way out.

Too much demand for this tripe, reality TV will never end, sorry but it’s true. If you think they will start funding real shows, even sport then not a chance. 

12 minutes ago, David said:

Not a chance it’s over, sorry. 

It will be rebranded, rewritten and back on your screens next year, that I can promise you.

Same with Love Island, they might drop the name but you’re still going to have a bunch of fame hungry wannabes dropped on some island and scripted intercourse their way out.

Too much demand for this tripe, reality TV will never end, sorry but it’s true. If you think they will start funding real shows, even sport then not a chance. 

Apologies accepted 

On 15/05/2019 at 12:01, SouthStandDan said:

Reality TV is a danger to society, my vision and my hearing. When producers and editors can easily manipulate footage to create "drama" for the audience, who through the power of social media, can ruin a person emotionally. Because of trolls and fickle minded morons on social media, reality TV as it is currently manufactured now, cannot continue. People easily forget these shows are mostly fake and scripted. Participating on reality TV shows might seem egotistical, at the end of the day these "contestants" are human beings. Destroying them with verbal abuse in public and online like they're on a level with rapists and paedophiles is unacceptable.  

Candidate for post of the year in the Pub. I salute you Sir.

I have never liked reality TV shows from day one and never will.

To be honest, my biggest take away from all of this is the realisation that they were somehow allowed to meddle with people's lives through the usage of a lie detector test; which have been long proven to be ineffective, hence why they're no longer used in any official capacities.

Absolutely insane to me.

I am a 100% unapologetic elitist old git when it comes to this .. horrible stuff. I’d add “real life” soap operas to the list as well.

The dire exaggerated story lines in Corey, East Enders and all of that ilk have over the last generation, normalised what should be shocking .. so we are no longer shocked. They are the dramatic equivalent of a Ponzi Scheme .. to keep the audience you have to get ever more shocking. 

Toxic 

Anybody old enough to remember the original reality show, a fly on the wall thing called "The Family(?)" ?

Outrage at the time and it was nothing compared to today.

PS True reality shows like Helicopter ER, Lifeboats, Inside the ambulance are fine by me, highlighting real heroes

Sith Happens

I think i must be the only one who has little sympathy for those who go on these shows. They do it for their 15 minutes of fame. 

Look at those who went on kyle,  calling it 'the show ' clinging to their lie detector result cards like they are a badge of honour.

We can blame the shows in question but like anything in life, we have a choice, if people weren't prepared to sell their souls for a few minutes fame there would be no shows on the first place.

If you go on big brother and act like a dick you will be known as a dick forever. Its not rocket science.

Archived