If we could get 1 more player...

maxjam

1 minute ago, David said:

The same Tomori that won player of the season? Yup, unpopular opinion right there! 

I’m right at the front of the queue of people to disagree with you.

Just answering the question as asked though. 

Did we or did we not concede loads of goals from crosses/set-pieces where Tomori was the player at fault?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Did we or did we not concede loads of goals from crosses/set-pieces where Tomori was the player at fault?

Norwich, Villa, WBA all conceded more goals than us this season, I wouldn’t say the defence has been a problem for us this year.

All 5 clubs that finished above us scored more goals than us, we struggled to score whilst Mount was out injured. Think that’s a clue as to where the problem has been.

52 minutes ago, GenBr said:

It wouldnt be an extra 20 goals though. You have to take into account the goals scored by the strikers weve already played thus year - Waghorn and Marriott. Nugent doesnt count.

Although if we did include Nugent (2 goals. 3 yellows in 38 apps) and swapped him for Abraham (26 goals, 3 yellows in 39 apps)...

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

You're right and he's still not great in the air but he has developed his game enormously and has great passion.

His partnership with Keogh has also developed.

I like him as a player.

We would be helped at set pieces if our full backs and midfield were better in the air.

I have a feeling Frank is regretting the Ambrose gamble. A quality centre half might be on the list because I think Keogh will go.

Well if I can’t have messi or Renaldo and I can’t spend more than a £1 million then I would buy everyone at pride park a nice pint rather than having everyone complaining about Tom, Dick or Harry who I might have signed on the cheap

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

You're right and he's still not great in the air but he has developed his game enormously and has great passion.

His partnership with Keogh has also developed.

I like him as a player.

Yeah and so do I - future international quality for sure - just still learning

It's a shame that Davies got injured, I think if Frank had the ability to swap him and Tomori in and out depending on the style of the opponents we may have fared a little better at times

29 minutes ago, David said:

Norwich, Villa, WBA all conceded more goals than us this season

True - but then Sheff Utd conceded  far far fewer - hence the suggestion that we'd have done better with their defence

I guess I just miss Gary Rowett ?

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah and so do I - future international quality for sure - just still learning

It's a shame that Davies got injured, I think if Frank had the ability to swap him and Tomori in and out depending on the style of the opponents we may have fared a little better at times

True - but then Sheff Utd conceded  far far fewer - hence the suggestion that we'd have done better with their defence

I guess I just miss Gary Rowett ?

Had Davies been fit I maintain the solution to our obvious midfield deficiencies was Tomori. All the attributes to be the perfect defensive midfielder we were lacking, but we never played him there.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Had Davies been fit I maintain the solution to our obvious midfield deficiencies was Tomori. All the attributes to be the perfect defensive midfielder we were lacking, but we never played him there.

I think we may have seen 3 at the back emerge had Davies been fit

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I'd have had Jack O'Connell at CB instead of Tomori.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but good as he is - his positioning and inability to defend crosses has been our one true downfall this season

Work does seem to have dried up for him a bit, I haven't seen him in anything since '71

And he is fan, not sure what he is like in the air though ?

16 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Work does seem to have dried up for him a bit, I haven't seen him in anything since '71

And he is fan, not sure what he is like in the air though ?

Didn't go well in 'Unbroken'.

Not 1 ....but if we had 5 better players we might have been competing for top 2.?

What were we 19 pts off automatic promotion? Shows how far off we actually are.

Complete clear out is required and let FL rebuild for next season.

I don't think any particular, one player would have necessarily improved us. It's the general consistency/ inconsistency of the team that has killed our automatic chances. When we have a fully fit squad then we certainly have enough match winning players to call upon. Let's just hope enough of these game changers turn up tomorrow night and make the automatic places inconsequential. 

8 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I don't think any particular, one player would have necessarily improved us. It's the general consistency/ inconsistency of the team that has killed our automatic chances. When we have a fully fit squad then we certainly have enough match winning players to call upon. Let's just hope enough of these game changers turn up tomorrow night and make the automatic places inconsequential. 

Agree with this - think we just lack a strong voice on the pitch to keep everyone switch on.

4 hours ago, toddy said:

Not 1 ....but if we had 5 better players we might have been competing for top 2.?

What were we 19 pts off automatic promotion? Shows how far off we actually are.

Complete clear out is required and let FL rebuild for next season.

You're such a blumming doom merchant........Toddy.

15.....we were only 15 points off autos ?

Archived