Morgan Whittaker & Louie Sibley called-up to England U18 squad

David

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely mafe up to hear this. The DCFC U18s were utterly peerless this season and it'd be a travesty were a good number of our chaps not to be looked at. I can see 3 or 4 from that side being given a chance in the national squad and I couldn't be more proud of them and the club right now.  

As for the lads themselves, what an honour! Those young men will be walking around feeling 10 foot tall right now. In Sibley we have a player whom, as long as refs protect him, could turn out to be a cut above Championship quantity. Thought he absolutely bossed the game against Arsenal, being the best player on the park by some way. Can't wait to see these lads in the senior squad next season.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

@angieram only beat you to the punch by a matter of hours.

In my defence having just checked her post history it was hidden in another topic, I have brought more attention to this fabulous achievement by giving it the exposure they deserve. ?

Congrats to the pair of them, they were deffo the standouts to me the other day, amongst obvious others naturally. Good to see sibley making the step up too, must be highly rated across the England youth set up. Looks to be arguably the best player in our academy and that’s no mean feat, could even be the next will Hughes... got a big future. Whittaker is establishing himself as well, he’s had a phenomenal season and could be one who could make the step up further too. And there are others besides those two who could as well, good times for our academy!

1 hour ago, David said:

In my defence having just checked her post history it was hidden in another topic, I have brought more attention to this fabulous achievement by giving it the exposure they deserve. ?

I couldn't be bothered to look for ithe academy thread now it's unpinned!  

Sorry. 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

I couldn't be bothered to look for ithe academy thread now it's unpinned!  

Sorry. 

No need to apologise for your laziness ?

With the season over I thought that was that for the academy and unpinned the 18/19 threads, I’ll be honest though and say I personally don’t like the academy news all in one mega thread as things can easily get missed.

Now we have RamsTV and the academy has more exposure, we know more about these players, I personally think they are worthy of having their own topics as and when needed, like today, and the reason I started to open match day threads for the U23s.

On 13/05/2019 at 22:47, Sparkle said:

A bit disappointing that we only have two called up considering we are the national champions but well done to the pair of them

The England set-up are still focused on the top 6 sides despite the U18s being at a completely different level. It's just the bias towards the elitist clubs meaning that it may never be truly the best players considered. The only players outside the top six clubs that have been selected are ones that have played in the first team - aside from our two who had to win the U18 Premier League title to make their mark. 

Jayden Bogle although eligible still hasn't been selected. He hasn't been selected for the U19s, U20s, U21s either. It's very strange considering he's the most creative, going by the numbers, defender in the Championship and has played nearly every game in an entire season in a Championship defence with 6th fewest goals conceded. 

I don't trust the England set-up, certainly at that age group, to pick the best player over upsetting the elite clubs. 

22 minutes ago, Rample said:

What do we know about Whittaker? Where does he play, what sort of player is he?

Forward player, can play wide or up front. Lanky, bit of a poacher, left footed (I think). I reckon he'd be getting a lot more attention if it wasn't for Bird and Sibley.

I'm sure people who have watched him every week can tell you more than me though.

49 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Forward player, can play wide or up front. Lanky, bit of a poacher, left footed (I think). I reckon he'd be getting a lot more attention if it wasn't for Bird and Sibley.

I'm sure people who have watched him every week can tell you more than me though.

More than just a 'poacher' as his 15 assists on top of 24 goals in 28 U18 apps would suggest. Those goals coming from a wide range of positions and angles.

He struggled to make an impact in his 9 U23 apps (5 starts) recording 1 assist but those games predominantly came when the U23s were struggling for a bit of form. He'll be a full time member of the U23s next year so we'll see more of him. I'm confident he'll have another fantastic season.

Archived