Waghorn

Sith Happens

18 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Really? So a striker who has good all round play but doesn't score many goals is better than an all out striker who scores loads?  I think the key word here  is "striker"

In certain systems, yes. Martin was at least as clinical as Bent anyway.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Really? So a striker who has good all round play but doesn't score many goals is better than an all out striker who scores loads?  I think the key word here  is "striker"

Except, going back to the original concept Marriott doesn't score loads more than Waghorn. And yes in some cases, it depends on the context. Strikers need good hold up play, it's rare for a top striker to just be a poacher anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Except, going back to the original concept Marriott doesn't score loads more than Waghorn. And yes in some cases, it depends on the context. Strikers need good hold up play, it's rare for a top striker to just be a poacher anymore. 

Ball over the top or in behind - e.g. Bobby davison, kevin wilson, alan biley, phil gee, dean saunders.....

Not every striker has to drop off and hold it up e.g. John o'hare, dave swindlehurst, paul goddard

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

it's rare for a top striker to just be a poacher anymore. 

That is a rare breed indeed these days. Playing one striker probably doesnt allow you to play a striker who just ambles about waiting to spring into action for a 5 yard toe poke. Which is a bit of a shame, I always saw it as brilliant artistry, but never mind.

8 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Marriott is significantly faster than Waghorn, the service into him was piss poor in the majority of the games he played during February you can't expect to do anything with a small and fast striker with hopeful hoofs down the pitch which is what we resorted to without Mount in the side. He is also abetter  dribbler as he is a lot more agile than Waghorn who can't really run at defences. You say nothing we have seen this season backs up anything I have said well you obviously can't remember his performances from October through to December when he was electric and was one of the main reasons why were 4th place at one point and beat the likes of West Brom and Sheffield United. Waghorn is a good player but so is Marriott , and I think the only reason why he has not played at his best is becuase he has not been given a run of games so he has lost his match sharpness, he hasn't even been playing much off the bench which I find pretty disappointing.  If Nugent starts tonight I'll be ducked off to say the least , if Waghorn doesn't start we have to go with Marriott. 

I told you so 

7 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

May have to change my name if he helps us to win tonight,

I had to stick to my word after that.

Archived