Waghorn

Sith Happens

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It is. Maybe he has struggled this season with our team being so youthful,  last season afterall he was practically a yts compared with the rest of the squad.

Waghorn can do both, he is a complete striker. Hold up, in behind, linking play, over the top and he can finish. Its no surprise we are worse without him.

Nugent can do all that but hes just a few yards off the pace now.

Marriott doesnt have the hold up play.

Martin doesnt have the press and looks off the pace as well.

Bennett actually looks next best for being a complete striker, can do it all but question is whether he can do it well enough?

Wednesday is OUR CUP Final. If we cannot beat them after going a goal down then so be it. We are contesting the second last game of the seadon. Time to be very aggressive, 6 or 7 bookings no problem just no sendings off. 

Wasn't he rumoured to be on his way to Bournemouth in January? Nuhiu isn't the answer. First question ought to be who have we got in the 23s and then the 18s? Martin was shockingly disinterested when he last played for us at home. Having seen Ince, Jamie Ward (at times) and Lawrence drift in and out of games and let others do their work for them, Martin set a new low in that game. He made very little effort at all. I have no idea why he chose to do so, but I wasn't in the least bit surprised when he exited after it. 

10 hours ago, Boycie said:

Seems we need a big man on the bench as an option for next season. 

Oh wait, we have Martin for another season, sorted.

As far as I am aware, CM hasn't set the world alight during his time at Hull. 

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Every season we don't go up after loaning Martin out, he becomes closer and closer to the answer in some people's eyes.

They might not be wrong.

Last time we won at Leeds Chris Martin had a cracking game. October 2017 - Winnall brace, I think ? 

i have become a big Waghorn fan, since he joined us.  Like his style of play, his versatility and his character.  Am sure he will be trying all he can to get himself fit, but am not overly hopeful and don't want him to push himself too hard and perhaps to then injure himself again.

For me

I would be tempted to try Cole for Malone - that experience in such a big game

I feel we need to ram Huddlestone in there somewhere to help keep the ball. But Johnson is playing well.

Now my problem is as much as I rate Holmes I think we do better with Wilson and Mount in the midfield three

But without Waggy I think I would then go with Bennett up front

Ubfortunately this means I need two Wilsons and unfortunately he is in a bit of a dip imho

Like this

Roos

Bogle, Tomori, Keogh, Cole

Huddlestone

Wilson, Mount

Wilson, Bennett, Lawrence

This management lark isn't easy is it

Best of luck Frank

13 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Every season we don't go up after loaning Martin out, he becomes closer and closer to the answer in some people's eyes.

They might not be wrong.

At the start of the season Martin was clearly struggling with his stomach issues and therefore not fully fit.

The gaffer didn't really appear to grasp the concept of a holding number 9 until very late into the season when he seems to have realised having waghorn in that role has been the secret to our success and has allowed the team to finally gel.

In view of that revelation,(to Frank in any case) it would have been better to have held onto Martin,allowing him to recover and provide either cover for waghorn/compete for the hold up striker spot.

As it is we held onto Nugent instead despite his age, waining ability and who doesn't provide any real semblance of cover for either Marriott (seemingly another bad fit for whatever reason of late) or waghorn.

Hopefully this error by Frank doesn't cost us the semi final and waghorn is fit enough to play,because without him playing in that role we look completely lost again.

If we don't go up this year and whilst we continue to experience financial constraints then perhaps Martin will be considered once again in the role he excelled at together with waghorn.

If not,hopefully he will be sold on and finish his career with a club and manager who make the most of him.

47 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

For me

I would be tempted to try Cole for Malone - that experience in such a big game

I feel we need to ram Huddlestone in there somewhere to help keep the ball. But Johnson is playing well.

Now my problem is as much as I rate Holmes I think we do better with Wilson and Mount in the midfield three

But without Waggy I think I would then go with Bennett up front

Ubfortunately this means I need two Wilsons and unfortunately he is in a bit of a dip imho

Like this

Roos

Bogle, Tomori, Keogh, Cole

Huddlestone

Wilson, Mount

Wilson, Bennett, Lawrence

This management lark isn't easy is it

Best of luck Frank

I totally agree about Wilson, he always looks better when he comes inside (usually not until we make the substitutions). 

I have thought about Holmes out wide in the second Wilson role - he's not a winger either, though!

Will all be solved if Waggy is fit, we can start Bennett on the wing. He's tough, which I think we'll need.

Very tough on Holmes, though - thought he was our best player on Saturday. 

26 minutes ago, angieram said:

I totally agree about Wilson, he always looks better when he comes inside (usually not until we make the substitutions). 

I have thought about Holmes out wide in the second Wilson role - he's not a winger either, though!

Will all be solved if Waggy is fit, we can start Bennett on the wing. He's tough, which I think we'll need.

Very tough on Holmes, though - thought he was our best player on Saturday. 

I thought about Holmes on the wing too 

You are right though, lets get Waggy fit and play Bennett wide

Holmes could be  great sub with his energy late in the game

Archived