Don't Blame it on the Nugent...

sage

He looked every bit of his 34 years today. Could get nowhere near that Leeds back line. He snatched at our best opening in the first 10 mins.

Waghorn was a big miss but Marriott is better than Nugent and could have changed the game. We looked a lot better when he came on.

Marriott has to start Wednesday or we might as well not bother.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is fascinating at how quick this legs move versus how little he actually travels. It’s like he’s walking the wrong way up an escalator.

He is also the absolute master of that thing older pros do when they bury their chin into their chest and look down when they’re chasing things. The international football body language expression of “look, this is as fast as I go and I really am trying very hard here.”

Shame we couldn’t get players near him yesterday because it did work against WBA. Also a shame that his Derby career has petered out so disappointingly, but I guess we have the contract that runs to the end of time to thank for him still being here at the age of 65.

11 hours ago, sage said:

Whilst I wouldn't have picked him if Waghorn was fit, I would have picked him ahead of Marriott today. He was far from being our worst player and certainly played better than Lawrence and Wilson. He did his job of holding the ball up but was let down by the lack of runners. He pressed well and was often not backed up by others pressing.   

I for one thought Lawrence had a cracking game. 

I think Marriott is a great finisher when he gets his chance, but in games like yesterday he's seriously lacking in opportunity and any skill to assist in the build up. That's why Waghorn has nailed down the spot, he's got a bit more to his game. 

I'd say Nugent was involved a lot more than Marriott was yesterday. I think Leeds sat back a bit more when Marriott was on the pitch but that's about it, we still didn't create anything.

Without Waghorn, we'd have to change our gameplan completely, get both Nugent and Marriott in the pitch. 

Or play Chris Martin, if he's allowed. ?

42 minutes ago, sage said:

What makes you have that opinion? 

Thought he picked up where he left off vs WBA. Misplaced an easy pass in the second half which was met by groans but that aside i thought he looked like a threat playing against a very good right back. The period of pressure we had in the second half seemed to be mostly brought on by him running at their defence with pace. He got back well in the first half when we were penned back as well. 

19 hours ago, sage said:

Whilst I wouldn't have picked him if Waghorn was fit, I would have picked him ahead of Marriott today. He was far from being our worst player and certainly played better than Lawrence and Wilson. He did his job of holding the ball up but was let down by the lack of runners. He pressed well and was often not backed up by others pressing.   

First half i didnt notice wilson was even on the field. - well said my man. 

20 hours ago, Wraggrams said:

However I would have played Marriott in front of Nuge, because I think he is the better finisher, whilst his hold up play is improving. 

Yes it's obvious that Nugent isn't really a finisher these days. We will need another striking option next season. 

11 hours ago, Duracell said:

It is fascinating at how quick this legs move versus how little he actually travels. It’s like he’s walking the wrong way up an escalator.

He is also the absolute master of that thing older pros do when they bury their chin into their chest and look down when they’re chasing things. The international football body language expression of “look, this is as fast as I go and I really am trying very hard here.”

Shame we couldn’t get players near him yesterday because it did work against WBA. Also a shame that his Derby career has petered out so disappointingly, but I guess we have the contract that runs to the end of time to thank for him still being here at the age of 65.

Probably got an option of an extra year in top of that if he wants it?

Archived