Don't Blame it on the Nugent...

sage

Whilst I wouldn't have picked him if Waghorn was fit, I would have picked him ahead of Marriott today. He was far from being our worst player and certainly played better than Lawrence and Wilson. He did his job of holding the ball up but was let down by the lack of runners. He pressed well and was often not backed up by others pressing.   

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you on Nugent's performance tonight, and felt he did a better job than Wilson, Lawrence, Johnson, and Malone. Even Mount and Bogle were shackled. Though they kept showing. However I would have played Marriott in front of Nuge, because I think he is the better finisher, whilst his hold up play is improving. 

Thought Nuge did an ok job of holding the ball up when it was played up to him well enough. Overall I don't think he was good enough but a lot of that stems from the lack of support from the midfielders behind him. He was dealt a tough hand today. 

The swap for Marriott was the nail in the coffin though, he's been ineffective for months and was again today. Leeds eased the game out after his arrival, not sure what he gives us when we're not creating chances? 

Pray for Waggy. 

I agree, however Jerome would of caused more problems to leeds backline today. Lampard got it wrong keeping Nugent over Jerome imo, Jerome was a much better option. Nugent hasn't scored since Septemeber and missed some sitters as well. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Whilst I wouldn't have picked him if Waghorn was fit, I would have picked him ahead of Marriott today. He was far from being our worst player and certainly played better than Lawrence and Wilson. He did his job of holding the ball up but was let down by the lack of runners. He pressed well and was often not backed up by others pressing.   

I don't blame him per se. But he's slower than an asthmatic donkey with knee issues, isn't that good with the ball at his feet and has nothing that defenders fear. 

Thats not his fault, so no blame at all, other than for Frank for picking a striker who can't effing strike. 

Far from our worst player? No, he was far from the second worst player (Malone). He was utterly abject and just filling a shirt. 

We got the ball to his feet in the box twice in the first 25 mins.

first effort was saved. Similar to his scuffed effort v west brom.

second time he tried to pass.

there was really no reason for not playing our big summer signing. It was a game were one good finish was likely to be the decider. Roofe played whilst obviously not 100% and delivered the killer finish whilst our marksman - Marriott - was sat on the bench. 

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

We got the ball to his feet in the box twice in the first 25 mins.

first effort was saved. Similar to his scuffed effort v west brom.

second time he tried to pass.

there was really no reason for not playing our big summer signing. It was a game were one good finish was likely to be the decider. Roofe played whilst obviously not 100% and delivered the killer finish whilst our marksman - Marriott - was sat on the bench. 

Roofe had the added advantage of our bambi-esque left back allowing him to run in and finish unchallenged!

8 hours ago, sage said:

Seriously, you would have chosen to start a striker that a) has only started 10 league games this season, the last being on 1st February 2019 and only 3 since 3rd October 2018, b) that has scored 2 league goals this season and c) won once with him starting since October 2018?

AGAINST Marriott where Derby have only lost ONCE when he has started (including games against Norwich twice, West Brom, Villa, Sheff Utd), started a game more recently, scored more goals and created more assists?  

You only have to watch Marriott against West Brom or Chelsea away to see how a striker should press.  

This is not an attack on Nugent, it just evidences that Marriott should have started in an important match

Sith Happens
55 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Roofe had the added advantage of our bambi-esque left back allowing him to run in and finish unchallenged!

Bit harsh to point the finger at Malone, where were the rest of our defence?

Think it was pretty much a team effort that allowed them in so easily.

4 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Seriously, you would have chosen to start a striker that a) has only started 10 league games this season, the last being on 1st February 2019 and only 3 since 3rd October 2018, b) that has scored 2 league goals this season and c) won once with him starting since October 2018?

AGAINST Marriott where Derby have only lost ONCE when he has started (including games against Norwich twice, West Brom, Villa, Sheff Utd), started a game more recently, scored more goals and created more assists?  

You only have to watch Marriott against West Brom or Chelsea away to see how a striker should press.  

This is not an attack on Nugent, it just evidences that Marriott should have started in an important match

Yes. Because the way Leeds press we would have to play a higher percentage of balls to a target man than we would against more passive sides like West Brom.

When Marriott did come on he simply gave a series of free kicks away and we couldn't build possession. 

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

You only have to watch him against Leeds yesterday to see what a difference he made. Finally gave us an outlet up front and actually caused some problems for the Leeds defence.

I don't blame Nugent at all - he has been a good servant for Derby in the last few seasons. I blame Frank for starting the game with him when he had Marriott sitting on the bench. To be honest I would be starting Marriott in the centre and Waghorn on the wing as we did in our best patch of the season. I'm hoping the reason we are picking Nugent is some kind of performance related fee with Marriott and not some petty argument between him and Lampard.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Bit harsh to point the finger at Malone, where were the rest of our defence?

Think it was pretty much a team effort that allowed them in so easily.

Conceding a goal wasn’t the problem. Hey, even Bobby Moore, and our Igor Stimac let in goals! It’s not even troubling their goalkeeper that was the problem. 

Aside from tactics, I don’t understand the conspiracy about Marriott. Seems pretty clear to me that he got injured, caught a stomach bug, and has been fighting for fitness and sharpness ever since. Maybe it’s Rammage on Radio Derby that’s fuelled it, but we need to remember he ‘thinks’ aloud. 

I too would have gone with Nugent. It’s not as simple as “gOALs wIN yUo GaMEs”, obviously they do, and sometimes you’re more likely to do that with a reference point up front with runners around him than with an out-and-our striker who has to snatch the one chance he gets.

In hindsight, it didn’t work because we had a reference point but nobody in white used it. Lawrence decided to play fussball inside forward, Spaghetti Legs wobbled in no man’s land, Bogle was terrified to venture into the Leeds half and Mount was being marked by 24 Leeds players. Swapping that for Marriott pretending to jump and kicking ankles didn’t exactly revolutionise the way we played, however.

Our best forward was injured for our biggest game and our squad isn’t that good yet, that’s the beginning and end of it for me.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes. Because the way Leeds press we would have to play a higher percentage of balls to a target man than we would against more passive sides like West Brom.

When Marriott did come on he simply gave a series of free kicks away and we couldn't build possession. 

No that would be Derby changing our style to counter Leeds, we should have played our own game.

I do not agree with what you say about Marriott when he came on.  He finally created some movement up front, allowing the likes of Wilson to get more into the game.

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I too would have gone with Nugent. It’s not as simple as “gOALs wIN yUo GaMEs”, obviously they do, and sometimes you’re more likely to do that with a reference point up front with runners around him than with an out-and-our striker who has to snatch the one chance he gets.

Thats fine but the stats do not show that we do better as a team with Nugent starting. Therefore we have a striker that doesn't score and a team that win less games?

I have to disagree, Nugent just isn't good enough or fast enough anymore. Leeds could press us higher as their defence could sit a further 20yds higher due to the very real lack of pace from our frontman. He doesn't iffer us anything anymore and ive said this sice before the season started. Nice guy don't get me wrong just not championship standard and certainly not play off team standard. Marriott is by far the better option and his 10 goals this season seem to justify that.

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

No that would be Derby changing our style to counter Leeds, we should have played our own game.

I do not agree with what you say about Marriott when he came on.  He finally created some movement up front, allowing the likes of Wilson to get more into the game.

I think that was more to do with Wilson coming infield , to be fair.

Archived