Choudhury fined 5k

maxjam

Huxleys Brave New World .  Here's to technology influenced world state utopia .   May seem a bit out there but Owsley Stanley predicted melting ice caps and  an increase in cyclones all over the world due to this 50 years ago and he was also out of his gord most of the time .

We'll be going back to the Bloody code soon .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
39 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Also for those saying the third tweet is ‘just an opinion’ are probably missing the point that in 2019 suicide is the biggest threat to a young male’s life. 

While I don't agree with the view he posted. It is his right to believe that, and voice it if he so wants to.

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

While I don't agree with the view he posted. It is his right to believe that, and voice it if he so wants to.

Agreed  -but if he chooses to exercise that right then he has to be accountable for what he chooses to voice.

In this case his age is a mitigating factor, but it doesn't fully excuse it. As long as he's apologised and realised the error of what he did, then that should be enough. Unfortunately the online mob mentality doesn't see it like that

17 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Agreed  -but if he chooses to exercise that right then he has to be accountable for what he chooses to voice.

In this case his age is a mitigating factor, but it doesn't fully excuse it. As long as he's apologised and realised the error of what he did, then that should be enough. Unfortunately the online mob mentality doesn't see it like that

And therein lies the problem, you are effectively using online censorship to enforce thought police.  As conservatives are more likely to be for free speech and expressing opinions, lefties are the ones getting outraged and controlling the narrative.  They chip away at what they view to be extreme until the boundaries of what they now consider to be 'far right' include Tony Blair.

Anyway, I didn't want this thread to get political, I was just pointing out the absurdity of it all.  Should have fined him 25% of what he was on back when he posted the tweets as a 15yo... or £2.50 from his paper round ?

47 minutes ago, maxjam said:

you are effectively using online censorship to enforce thought police. 

I'm not though - I'm simply advocating for a bit more personal responsibility in what we post, and where we post it. Do you not think that's a good thing?

The rules enforced on here last autumn for example have been really successful, and I think now they've been relaxed slightly that everyone has been much more measured and respectful in what they say on non-football matters (although granted - I'm not privy to how much stuff the mods have had to remove!)

3 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

The things he said are a little unsavoury but I would say that it would be wrong to fine him even if he tweeted them now. Surely you can’t fine a black person for making a joke about black people?

I agree with your post, but so far as I'm aware Choudhury is of Asian heritage, not black, even though he looks like Carl Douglas.

I'll say the same about this as I said regarding Hennessey's Nazi salute and Mezut Ozil's meeting with Erdogan. When did Football Associations decide that they have the right to police what players do or say in their own free time, well away from the field of play?

42 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I'm not though - I'm simply advocating for a bit more personal responsibility in what we post, and where we post it. Do you not think that's a good thing?

Of course but we also have to allow for genuine mistakes (like Danny Baker's tweet) and opinions such as those Choudhury posted. 

Danny Baker deleted and apologised for his post, the BBC could have reprimanded him - which for a lot of people would have been enough.  If we allow Choudhury's first tweet as a form of self deprecation, the other two tweets are opinions that whilst unsavoury should not warrant punishment. 

Furthermore, they are 5 year old tweets and he was a child at the time of posting.  The whole thing is laughable.

20 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I’m not disagreeing with it being his right... my point is that people are dismissing it when arguably it’s the most dangerous of the 3 with the message it sends from a prominent male public figure. 

Archived