Choudhury fined 5k

maxjam

https://news.sky.com/story/hamza-choudhury-leicester-city-star-fined-over-historical-social-media-comments-11716430

5k fine for something he wrote when he was 15/16 - or a child in the eyes of the law.

If you want to know what was deemed so offensive it was worth a 5k fine its in the link below;

https://punchng.com/leicesters-choudhury-charged-by-fa-over-social-media-posts/

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously he can't, but it would be nice to see him tell the FA to stick it and see them in court.

The first one was out of order, but the second two he was simply expressing an opinion and in any event...he was a child at the time.

Thank goodness the FA are here to protect us from 6 year old edgy jokes and opinions. I can't wait until these pathetic moralizing scolds get some precogs so they can punish people before they even post any dangerous wrongthink.

The FA are in the right here. This is a sport for gentleman and ladies and we can't have him bringing the game into disrepute. He should pay the fine and then hopefully he can get on with his career of spitting, swearing at refs, diving, play acting, getting punched, time wasting, getting racially abused, stamping and biting. 

I find these tweets offensive. Winds me right up. I don't know what's worse, this or seeing players take their shirts off when celebrating. Both need stamping out the good game anyway. Great job by the FA. Priorities spot on. 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

The FA are in the right here. This is a sport for gentleman and ladies and we can't have him bringing the game into disrepute. He should pay the fine and then hopefully he can get on with his career of spitting, swearing at refs, diving, play acting, getting punched, time wasting, getting racially abused, stamping and biting. 

I find these tweets offensive. Winds me right up. I don't know what's worse, this or seeing players take their shirts off when celebrating. Both need stamping out the good game anyway. Great job by the FA. Priorities spot on. 

Well, he is not the first person this week to learn that once you put something out in the ether it is there forever. What amazes me is that these clubs seem to do little to educate these people on how to behave. You would think that they would be all over them from U8's to confirm with them, again and again, that they need to keep a lid on views like these.

That said, once again, I'm glad it's out - every time one of these surfaces we have another opportunity to discuss it and that person has a very clear opportunity to sit in a dark room and realise what a supreme Richard they were even thinking that in the first place.

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Well, he is not the first person this week to learn that once you put something out in the ether it is there forever. What amazes me is that these clubs seem to do little to educate these people on how to behave. You would think that they would be all over them from U8's to confirm with them, again and again, that they need to keep a lid on views like these.

That said, once again, I'm glad it's out - every time one of these surfaces we have another opportunity to discuss it and that person has a very clear opportunity to sit in a dark room and realise what a supreme Richard they were even thinking that in the first place.

I suspect that as a maturing adult, he doesn't think in quite the same way as when he was a child but he is free to think what he likes.

The problems I have it are as follows;

1.  He wrote the tweets as a 15yo but was convicted 6 years later as a man.

2.  He is being sent on a 'FA education course' despite the fact that at the time of posting them he was still in education and he's posted nothing like them since.

3.  Context is everything, more so with historical quotes/tweets as society and sensitivity evolves.

4.  Tweet 1 is either just a joke or a racist joke depending on your point of view.  Given that Choudhury is black himself it could be interpreted as the former.

5.  Tweets 2 and 3 are opinion, they may be insensitive (particularly #3) but are open to debate imho.

How far back in someone's history do the FA want to go, to enable them to find wrong doings, that they can retrospectively punish. Maybe they should fine themselves for their own sexist attitudes, when  in 1921 they banned womens football teams from playing on the grounds belonging to male teams playing under FA rules.

11 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

How far back in someone's history do the FA want to go, to enable them to find wrong doings, that they can retrospectively punish. Maybe they should fine themselves for their own sexist attitudes, when  in 1921 they banned womens football teams from playing on the grounds belonging to male teams playing under FA rules.

And for the nazi salute they made the England team give in 1938.

On 12/05/2019 at 18:51, Carl Sagan said:

Amazing to come across this thread (thanks for pointing it out @maxjam). Words fail me. Good to know the football authorities have their priorities spot on. How is it even legal to punish a child in this way. Enough! 

I expect they are going on the fact that 10 years old, is the age a child is criminally responsible for their actions/charged for a crime.  Unfortunately, the UK does not have a statute of limitations.

I find the whole thing repugnant.  Does that mean that people born in the 60's and 70's, and use to say, 'just popping down the p*** shop' are going to be fined and put on courses?

On 11/05/2019 at 08:18, Alpha said:

Quite right too!!!  I almost choked on Damson & Fennel quinoa salad reading those.  Shocking!

Comes back to what I said in the Danny Baker thread about how we need to learn to use social media more responsibly

All three of those tweets are things he could have just kept in his head, or just said to his mates (where the context and audience is controlled)

Whatever the rights/wrongs of him being punished for it years later are, it still comes down to personal responsibility

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

Comes back to what I said in the Danny Baker thread about how we need to learn to use social media more responsibly

All three of those tweets are things he could have just kept in his head, or just said to his mates (where the context and audience is controlled)

Whatever the rights/wrongs of him being punished for it years later are, it still comes down to personal responsibility

The things he said are a little unsavoury but I would say that it would be wrong to fine him even if he tweeted them now. Surely you can’t fine a black person for making a joke about black people? The one about women’s football is an opinion that many fans hold (and does not necessarily arise from sexism), which, whilst unfortunate, isn’t worthy of a fine IMO. The self-harm one is harsh but, again, it’s an opinion that he has a right to hold.

Of course, he’d be stupid to tweet such things and we should be at a point now where we think harder about what we post and even ‘like’ on social media. That wasn’t really the case back then though, and certainly not for a boy in his mid-teens. 

Archived