Buying success?

Carl Sagan

A little oddly perhaps the Hartlepool Mail has compiled a list of Championship net transfer spend over the last 5 seasons. Of course it's complicated by some clubs being in different divisions at some points. We come out close to the top of the spending tables. The gumps have made a tidy profit by throwing youngsters in for a few games, massively hyping them up and then flogging them for a fortune.

The top spenders are:

1. Stoke £107m
  2. West Brom £91m
  3. Villa £37m
  4. Boro £37m
  5. Sheff Wed £35m
  6. SUPER RAMS £25m
  7. Brum £20m
  8. QPR £14m
  9. Dirty Leeds £13m

Apparently everyone else broke even or made a profit: https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/every-championship-club-s-net-spend-over-the-last-five-seasons-a-129m-loss-1-9757952
Leeds

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a massive surprise I guess, I bet if you take the Clement summer out of the fugues we break even or make a profit as well. That summer was almost financial suicide for the club, felt great at the time though “we sign who we want” “rush always gets his man” hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It's the sort of analysis that generates as many questions as answers. 

The "cost" of owning a player is surely purchase cost + player contract costs - sale transfer fee?

So this analysis doesn't give the whole picture. 

For example if I  brought in a bunch of journeyman ex premier pros or loan a bunch of tammy Abraham's on massive wages I would look quite frugal on this analysis, whilst bankrupting the club.

And if you have bought a player in who is still here then presumably this only captures the spend and ignores any player value.

For what its worth, I was mentally trying to validate the 25m for us.

I got....

Johnson 6m

Butterfield 4m

Anya 4m

Thorne 3-4m 

Blackman 3m

Huddlestone 2m?

But there ought to be profits on weimann, Hughes Hendrick vydra to reduce that total, so even with the simplistic measure I'm struggling to get to 25m "cost".

35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The "cost" of owning a player is surely purchase cost + player contract costs - sale transfer fee?

For example if I  brought in a bunch of journeyman ex premier pros or loan a bunch of tammy Abraham's on massive wages I would look quite frugal on this analysis, whilst bankrupting the club.

And if you have bought a player in who is still here then presumably this only captures the spend and ignores any player value.

I got....

Johnson 6m

Butterfield 4m

Anya 4m

Thorne 3-4m 

Blackman 3m

Huddlestone 2m?

But there ought to be profits on weimann, Hughes Hendrick vydra to reduce that total, so even with the simplistic measure I'm struggling to get to 25m "cost".

14/15 Ins: Thorne (£2.07m), Albentosa (£540k), Christie (£100k), Warnock (£?k), Shotton (£?k)
14/15 Outs: Coutts (£?k)

15/16 Ins: Johnson (£7.29m), Ince (£6.03m), Butterfield (£4.95m), Shackell (£3.78m), Weimann (£3.42m), Blackman (£3.06m), Camara (£1.53m), Olsson (£594k), Carson (£?k)
15/16 Outs: Dawkins (£?k)

16/17 Ins: Vydra (£8.46m), Anya (£4.23m), Nugent (£2.61m), McAllister (£239k)
16/17 Outs: Hendrick (£10.62m), Grant (£1.35m), Albentosa (£720k), Shotton (£324k), Martin (£1.62m loan)

17/18 Ins: Lawrence (£4.95m), Wisdom (£2.07m), Huddlestone (£1.98m), Jerome (£1.53m), Davies (£513k)
17/18 Outs: Ince (£8.19m), Hughes (£8.19m), Christie (£2.52m), Russell (£252k)

18/19 Ins: Waghorn (£5.04m), Marriott (£3.06m), Jozefzoon (£2.79m), Holmes (£702k), Evans (£?k), Malone (£?k)
18/19 Outs: Vydra (£10.98m), Weimann (£2.03m), Hanson (£?k), Jerome (£?)

Total Ins: £71.538m
Total Outs: £46.796m
Total: £24.742m

23 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I got....

Johnson 6m

Butterfield 4m

Anya 4m

Thorne 3-4m 

Blackman 3m

Huddlestone 2m?

Weimann was sold at a loss and Vydra minimal profit.

Off the top of my head, some players you've missed:-

Curtis Davies

Andre Wisdom

Scott Malone

Tom Lawrence

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Weimann was sold at a loss and Vydra minimal profit.

Off the top of my head, some players you've missed:-

Curtis Davies

Andre Wisdom

Scott Malone

Tom Lawrence

That's true in that we must have incurred some outlay, even if most of those at least have some value left to us.

According to Transfermarkt (Only done transfers over £1m)

Ins:

Thorne - 2

Johnson - 7

Ince - 6

Butterfield - 5

Shackell - 4

Weimann - 3.5

Blackman - 3

Camara - 1.5

Vydra - 8.5

Anya - 4

Nugent - 2.5

Lawrence - 5

Wisdom - 2

Huddlestone - 2

Jerome - 1.5

Waghorn - 5

Marriott - 3

Jozefzoon - 3

Outs:

Vydra - 11

Weimann - 2

Ince - 8

Hughes - 8

Christie - 2.5

Hendrick - 10.5

Martin - 1.5 (loan fee)

Grant - 1.5

So looks like we've pretty much spent about £70m over 5 seasons on transfers and brought back £45m. Based on that I'd say £25m is about spot on.

5 minutes ago, SIWY said:

According to Transfermarkt (Only done transfers over £1m)

Ins:

Thorne - 2

Johnson - 7

Ince - 6

Butterfield - 5

Shackell - 4

Weimann - 3.5

Blackman - 3

Camara - 1.5

Vydra - 8.5

Anya - 4

Nugent - 2.5

Lawrence - 5

Wisdom - 2

Huddlestone - 2

Jerome - 1.5

Waghorn - 5

Marriott - 3

Jozefzoon - 3

Outs:

Vydra - 11

Weimann - 2

Ince - 8

Hughes - 8

Christie - 2.5

Hendrick - 10.5

Martin - 1.5 (loan fee)

Grant - 1.5

So looks like we've pretty much spent about £70m over 5 seasons on transfers and brought back £45m. Based on that I'd say £25m is about spot on.

Thats a much more complete list and could easily be just what the paper did.

But its not of itself a particularly useful measure. If you're trying to estimate how active a club is likely to be in the transfer market that is (which is what the article claims to be).

Need to look at a) what's the funding position and b) is the ffp position ok. You can't really get much of a handle on either just from the numbers around transfer fee ins and outs.

Archived