Lawrence play off ban?

ramtique

There is no way the Lawrence penalty can be construed as simulation. If anything he slipped but there was contact from the somewhat clumsy West brom centre half. The ref was on the spot and gave it without coercion. No way can Lawrence be banned for diving.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

There is no way the Lawrence penalty can be construed as simulation. If anything he slipped but there was contact from the somewhat clumsy West brom centre half. The ref was on the spot and gave it without coercion. No way can Lawrence be banned for diving.

I agree with this and everything else said about there being contact and therefore it not mattering what came next....

...so why do I have this uneasy feeling that we’re going to get shafted here, or at least have this drag out long enough to affect preparations

Lawrence definitely guilty of stimulation. He turned unbelievers into we have always been believers in five minutes. I never doubted it until the Blackburn game and never fully believed it again until yesterday. 

9 hours ago, Ramathorn said:

I agree with this and everything else said about there being contact and therefore it not mattering what came next....

...so why do I have this uneasy feeling that we’re going to get shafted here, or at least have this drag out long enough to affect preparations

Sky seem to be making a meal out of it. The EFL say they await the referee's report. Unless he has completely changed his mind and by doing so admits personal incompetence I can't see anything untoward happening. The referee was well placed to see the incident and there was no coercion from the Derby players. There was contact by Bartley. Refrees sometimes make wrong decisions but that doesn't mean Lawrence deliberately cheated. West Brom can't have any complaints as they were losing and Bartley stayed on the pitch.

If the authorities are going to start banning players retrospectively for cheating Leeds won't be able to field any players next Saturday and the manager will have to stay at home too! Leeds are and always have been the most cheating ,cynical football club going. I watched them play Middlesbrough back in August. It was more like a mixed martial arts contest than a game of football!

How many players, in the past, have ever been booked for simulation in a similar position i.e. just running through onto the penalty spot with the whole goal to aim at? I would say not many. Most simulation incidents occur when teams are drawing or losing and on the edge of the penalty area or down the sides, trying to gain an advantage. Tom had done all the hard work without going down, if it had happened earlier in the move, there may be some debate but he was through, at speed, eyes lighting up, just going to pull the trigger when he was clipped by a defender trying to stop his run - penalty all day for me, even if it had been against us.

4 hours ago, ScamRam said:

How many players, in the past, have ever been booked for simulation in a similar position i.e. just running through onto the penalty spot with the whole goal to aim at? I would say not many. Most simulation incidents occur when teams are drawing or losing and on the edge of the penalty area or down the sides, trying to gain an advantage. Tom had done all the hard work without going down, if it had happened earlier in the move, there may be some debate but he was through, at speed, eyes lighting up, just going to pull the trigger when he was clipped by a defender trying to stop his run - penalty all day for me, even if it had been against us.

Chris Martin at Burnley springs to mind - an identical situation where he dribbled past the defender and had his foot trod on, went down, received a second yellow card and was sent off. The referee that day compounded matters by disallowing Jeff Hendrick's 'goal' as Martin went down and gave Burnley a free kick.

Put me down in the 'what goes around comes around' camp.

If Lawrence gets banned I have no doubt in my mind that this has been driven by Sky TV. They have an agenda and Clearly want him banning.

Why? To even the playing field? Would they prefer to set up a Leeds, Villa final after Bamfordgate?  Their own pundits who they pay said it was a penalty so why even waste column inches?

Do one Sky!

Archived