Lawrence play off ban?

ramtique

I'm going to do a complete u-turn on this - when he fell yesterday I initially thought he'd just fallen over and couldn't believe we'd got the pen for it. However, looking at the highlights he definitely has his toe clipped, just at the point he is going to put his balance back on that foot. Could he have carried on? It doesnt' matter one bit - he was clipped, on his supporting foot, so I do not see how any ban can be placed. I hate diving in the game, even from our own, but if that is considered a dive it is a precedent like no other we have seen in recent years.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely no chance of him getting banned. He’s been clipped and whilst you could argue on both sides how much impact it’s had on him, the only one who knows for sure is Lawrence. I personally don’t see why he would dive when he was one on one with the keeper and knew he wasn’t going to take the penalty. 

I’m interested to see what happens, because I imagine we would appeal any retrospective ban in the strongest possible terms. It doesn’t help their case when it’s not clear and obvious, for example: Morrison on SSN said it was a definite penalty after watching the replay. 

It’s a great opportunity for Leeds to play the victim prior to the match. They’re good at that! 

As everyone else has mentioned, there's quite clearly contact, so there will be no ban. Lawrence had no reason to dive though. Players dive in the area when they're not in a good shooting position or the ball has run away from them. Lawrence is just about to pull the trigger from 8 yards with only the keeper to beat, the idea that he'd rather take a penalty than bang that shot in is utterly laughable.

Perhaps we should stir things up against Leeds. Concentrate on the spying episodes and their careful plans to cheat in order to get an advantage. Should have had a points deduction instead of the manager gleefully paying the fine. Get Sky to have nose into all that again. Fight fire with fire.

46 minutes ago, Needless said:

Sky are in the controversy business. Any chance to whip up anything of that sort, they'll take it. It's what they do. Disgusting, but that's the world we live in. It's not personal against DCFC, or malicious in any way. It's also a non-story, because it was a penalty and the ref was perfectly positioned to see it.

Relax.

I was going to post the same thing. They absolutely love a controversy and if they can’t find a real one they’ll invent one. They search for any incident to waffle over and dissect. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Not very nice for Tom though, who is going to have the Leeds fans baying for his blood every time he gets the ball on Saturday.

As if he hasn't got enough on coping with some of the Derby fans!

We should have a book on how long it takes them to chant 'same old Derby always cheating '

12 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I was going to post the same thing. They absolutely love a controversy and if they can’t find a real one they’ll invent one. They search for any incident to waffle over and dissect. 

They have so much air time to fill on their sports news channel that credibility and accuracy flies out the window when there's money to be made.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

They have so much air time to fill on their sports news channel that credibility and accuracy flies out the window when there's money to be made.

It is almost libellous though is it not. That tweet is stating that he dived which he didn't based on the fact that the bloke who was best placed and required to decide gave a penalty.

1 hour ago, LB_DCFC said:

If someone, after watching this, tells me there's no contact then I don't even know anymore

The more I look at it the less soft I think the penalty is
I'd like to see anyone calling it a dive manage to stay balanced with one leg planted like his left one is while the other is off the ground
Image.png.5055b05388ba66a8801eaea74dd561f7.png

I would be shocked if he gets banned for this

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Why are people still saying straight red? Don't you know the rules?

Although Bartley should have had a yellow and I think he was already on a yellow....

Yep he was, but if that foul was outside the box then I don’t think it would have been a yellow.  Thought the ref made 2 very good decisions in that incident   

51 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Perhaps we should stir things up against Leeds. Concentrate on the spying episodes and their careful plans to cheat in order to get an advantage. Should have had a points deduction instead of the manager gleefully paying the fine. Get Sky to have nose into all that again. Fight fire with fire.

i would prefer we just get even more focused on sending them out of the playoffs, which is what will hurt them most.

Archived