Rank your top 10 loanees of all time

Day

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Simon Dawkins was brilliant on loan but utter poo once we signed him. I'm glad to see someone mention El Hamdaoui. He was unfortunate with injuries during the season but I always thought we should have pursued him. Had a great career in Holland afterwards.

I'm too young to remember Leon Osman all too well so mine is:

1 Tomori

2 Mount

3 Thorne

4 Ibe

5 Wilson

6 Bent

7 Ince

8 Wisdom

9 Lupoli

10 El Hamdaoui

Special shout outs to Stead, Bannan, Dickov, Mears and Kuqi.  Fielding and Butland were also good loan signings. Ghaly was probably our best player in the second half of THAT season

Worst 10 would feature gems like Thome, Sunu, John, Graham (couldn't hit a barn door), Kazmierczak, Pereplotkins,...

I thought Jon Stead was great in the first half of that promotion season. If we had kept him in'stead' of buying all that rubbish, things could have been different ie got automatic, had more time to plan for prem and give billy the chance to bring in loads better players (I saw him on goals on Sunday suggesting that is was these extra 3 weeks of the season that made it impossible to compete!)

Wasn’t Paul McGrath on loan? If so number 1 by a country mile. If not please move to some other thread, like best Centre Half or something.......

9 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Wasn’t Paul McGrath on loan? If so number 1 by a country mile. If not please move to some other thread, like best Centre Half or something.......

Maybe the top 10 best bargain buys thread?...

Screenshot_20190505-202520_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb26ca6a06f9566a65a2f71623405725.jpg

1. George Thorne

2. Harry Wilson

3. Arturo Lupoli

4. Mason Mount

5. Tom Ince

6. Andre Wisdom

7. Fikayo Tomori

8. Mounir El Hamdaoui

9. Patrick Bamford (I know, boo!)

10. Shefki Kuqi (purely for that celebration!)

3 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Maybe the top 10 best bargain buys thread?...

Screenshot_20190505-202520_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb26ca6a06f9566a65a2f71623405725.jpg

That was a ducking steal, always thought he was on loan. However I always thought the lyrics to “don’t ya” by the pussy cat dolls went “dont you wish your girlfriend was wrong like me” not “raw like me”......... god I’m absolutely smashed!!! What a day COYR??

Surprised that the loanee who became the first ever to win player of the season is below Wilson and Mount on some people's lists. All 3 have been better than Thorne, for me.

Wasn't really around to see Osman.

Tomori
Mount
Wilson
Thorne
Ince
Ibe
Lupoli
Wisdom
Bent

I can't think of another that I liked at all so I'll go with a top 9. Thought Martin was a complete nothing player during his loan spell ? 

44 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Surprised that the loanee who became the first ever to win player of the season is below Wilson and Mount on some people's lists. All 3 have been better than Thorne, for me.

Wasn't really around to see Osman.

Tomori
Mount
Wilson
Thorne
Ince
Ibe
Lupoli
Wisdom
Bent

I can't think of another that I liked at all so I'll go with a top 9. Thought Martin was a complete nothing player during his loan spell ? 

This is a very good point and one of the reasons Martin wasn't in my list. He's been a great servant for the club but his loan spell didn't sell me. He was no better at that time than Theo Robinson's loan...thankfully we took the gamble with Martin.

Speaking of Martin's, didn't we have an abysmal winger called Martin under Clough who somehow got signed on a permanent and never appeared again?

3 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

This is a very good point and one of the reasons Martin wasn't in my list. He's been a great servant for the club but his loan spell didn't sell me. He was no better at that time than Theo Robinson's loan...thankfully we took the gamble with Martin.

Speaking of Martin's, didn't we have an abysmal winger called Martin under Clough who somehow got signed on a permanent and never appeared again?

From Millwall I think.

To help you on your way, here are some older loans you may have forgotten about (or in most cases, chosen to forget about)

ABLETT Gary

AYALA Daniel

BAMFORD Patrick

BANNAN Barry

BARAZITE Nacer

BLACKSTOCK Dexter

BRADBURY Lee

BUENO Alberto

BURNS Kenny (1st spell)

BURRIDGE John

CALDWELL Gary

CALLAGHAN Nigel (2nd spell)

CAMPBELL DJ

CARBONE Benito

CARROLL Tom

CHADWICK Nick

COSTA Candido

CURRIE Darren

DAINO Daniele

DAVIES Andrew

DAVISON Bobby (2nd spell)

DEACY Eamonn

DICHIO Danny

DICKOV Paul

DUCROCQ Pierre

EDWARDS Rob

EL HAMDAOUI Mounir

ELLINGTON Nathan

EUSTACE John (1st spell)

FADIGA Khalilou

FEUER Ian

FINDLAY Jake

FOLETTI Patrick

GHALY Hossam

GRAHAM Danny

GUDJONSSON Thordur

HODGE Steve

HUGHES Bryan

HUNT Nicky

JACKSON Johnnie

JOHN Stern

JOHNSON Lee

JONES Brad

KAKU Blessing

KAZMIERCZAK Przemyslaw

KEANE Michael

KENNEDY Peter

KILBANE Kevin

KUQI Shefki

LISBIE Kevin

LIVERMORE Jake

LUPOLI Arturo

MAKIN Chris

MARTIN David

MARTIN Lilian

McINDOE Michael

MILLS Danny

MONEY Richard

MOONEY Tommy

MOORE Luke

NIMNI Avi

NOBLE Ryan (1st spell)

NOBLE Ryan (2nd spell)

O'BRIEN Ray

OSMAN Leon

PEREPLOTKINS Andrejs

PRISKIN Tamas

RAHMBERG Marino

RICHARDS John

RITCHIE Paul

SMITH Adam

STEAD Jon

STOOR Fredrik

SUNU Gilles

SUTTON Steve (1st spell)

SVENSSON Mathias

TALBOT Jason

THOMAS Andy

THOMAS Mickey

THOME Emerson

TOMKINS James

TONGE Michael

VAUGHAN James

VIDAL Javan

WATSON Alex

WEBSTER Simon

WHITE Willie (our first ever loanee - from Mansfield in 55/56)

WHITTINGHAM Peter

WISDOM Andre

WRIGHT Alan

I think Lisbie and Stead would make my top ten

Wilson, Ibe, Bazarite, Lupoli stick in my mind for positive reasons

By memory Andrew Davies did well

Osman must be the best - the current three are good though

but Bannan and Bamford didn't do it for me

Here goes

10. Bazarite

9. Ibe

8. Lupoli

7. Davies

6. Wilson

5. Stead

4. Tomori

3. Lisbie

2. Osman

1. Mount

Yep happy with that

Don’t want to waste space by replying with a quote Admira but wherever you have pasted that from only goes back so far. I think two of Derby’s greatest players - before any of our times - Peter Doherty and Raich Carter we’re also loans

Archived