Justice, belatedly

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Pleased to see the old chap who killed a burglar last year has been cleared.

Quite how it has taken this long god only knows. He shouldn't have had this hanging over his head for over a year.

Still find it bizarre the burglars family don't accept that the burglar was in the wrong. Comments like 'why couldn't the gentleman stand aside like normal people'

Why couldn't the burglar not break in and threaten an old man with a screw driver 'like normal people '?

Hope the old chap can get on with the rest of his life in peace now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8985764/hither-green-richard-osborn-brooks-inquest/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Pleased to see the old chap who killed a burglar last year has been cleared.

Quite how it has taken this long god only knows. He shouldn't have had this hanging over his head for over a year.

Still find it bizarre the burglars family don't accept that the burglar was in the wrong. Comments like 'why couldn't the gentleman stand aside like normal people'

Why couldn't the burglar not break in and threaten an old man with a screw driver 'like normal people '?

Hope the old chap can get on with the rest of his life in peace now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8985764/hither-green-richard-osborn-brooks-inquest/

Indeed but did I see somewhere that he hasn't been able to return to his house since because of threats & abuse?. If so, that's terrible for him. Forgive me if I've got that wrong.

I do wonder if it was publicised that law would be firmly on the side of home owners in situations like this, it might be a more effective deterrant than a few months in jail.

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Indeed but did I see somewhere that he hasn't been able to return to his house since because of threats & abuse?. If so, that's terrible for him. Forgive me if I've got that wrong.

I do wonder if it was publicised that law would be firmly on the side of home owners in situations like this, it might be a more effective deterrant than a few months in jail.

Disgrace that he has to move out , the police service [yes it's not a  police force any more] should get tough on crime and spend less time chasing road users and the politically incorrect .Wasters.

54 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Tricky one isn't it - I can see why they don;t want to encourage householders to murder intruders! I imagine it's probably harder to murder a burglar than it might seem. There is a strong chance that a criminal in the throes of an attempt on his life might decide to get quite murdery as well

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Tricky one isn't it - I can see why they don;t want to encourage householders to murder intruders! I imagine it's probably harder to murder a burglar than it might seem. There is a strong chance that a criminal in the throes of an attempt on his life might decide to get quite murdery as well

Of course murder is pre-meditated, the most it could be is manslaughter. 

I get if you chase a burglar out your house, then catch him, shoot him, or kill him then yeah there are issues with that.

If a guy is standing in front of you with a weapon, i think as a homeowner you have to assume he is intending on using it should he need to, therefore all bets are off at that point.

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Indeed. And when the burglar was buried they made a point of passing the old guys house with the funeral procession.

I get the impression the members of this particular family believe that if your home is broken into then you should stand aside and just let them get on with it. It is their right it would appear to terrorise people.

34 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Of course murder is pre-meditated, the most it could be is manslaughter. 

I get if you chase a burglar out your house, then catch him, shoot him, or kill him then yeah there are issues with that.

If a guy is standing in front of you with a weapon, i think as a homeowner you have to assume he is intending on using it should he need to, therefore all bets are off at that point.

Yes, but my point is that victims should not be encouraged to engage in lethal violence with criminals! That's going to end badly for the victim more times than it will end badly for the criminal.

19 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Yes, but my point is that victims should not be encouraged to engage in lethal violence with criminals! That's going to end badly for the victim more times than it will end badly for the criminal.

It can easily escalate. If burglars assume that home owners are armed to the teeth, then they’re going to have to go in armed to the teeth too. And before you know it, we’re America. 

Theres an argument for burglars expecting you to stand aside though. Let the insurance sort it out. 

But then it gets to a point where a burglar might as well just knock on your door: ‘excuse me, I’ve decided to rob your house today. Is now convenient, or should I come back later? Can I just double check that you are well insured? Do you need a hand with the excess? Are their any sentimental items you rather I didn’t touch? Mine’s a milk and two sugars. ’

actuslly, come to think of it, that would be a really civilised way to go about robbing people. Everyone’s a winner, the robber gets their job done with little personal risk, the victim gets loads of new stuff. 

Sith Happens
20 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah i dont think we should encourage it. The onus is on the burglar not to break in in the first place though. 

Sith Happens
37 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It can easily escalate. If burglars assume that home owners are armed to the teeth, then they’re going to have to go in armed to the teeth too. And before you know it, we’re America. 

Theres an argument for burglars expecting you to stand aside though. Let the insurance sort it out. 

But then it gets to a point where a burglar might as well just knock on your door: ‘excuse me, I’ve decided to rob your house today. Is now convenient, or should I come back later? Can I just double check that you are well insured? Do you need a hand with the excess? Are their any sentimental items you rather I didn’t touch? Mine’s a milk and two sugars. ’

actuslly, come to think of it, that would be a really civilised way to go about robbing people. Everyone’s a winner, the robber gets their job done with little personal risk, the victim gets loads of new stuff. 

I suppose if they rang up and made an appointment then you would be able to get your head around it. Waking up in the middle of the night by someone in your house must be terrifying. 

I think you have to assume if someone is in your home they are prepared to harm you physically.

Thankfully i dont know many people personally who have had to go through it, however one that I do, an elderly couple were watching tv and they were broken into. The burglars kicked the crap out of the old guy, just it seems because they could.

So if it ever happens to me, I am going to assume they mean me and my family harm, and i will do whatever I can to protect them, if that means striking first then i will do, if of course im brave enough should it happen.

8 hours ago, Paul71 said:

So if it ever happens to me, I am going to assume they mean me and my family harm, and i will do whatever I can to protect them, if that means striking first then i will do, if of course im brave enough should it happen.

Yeah - I think that's probably most people's view. Let's hope it never happens to us because I'm not sure how good I'd be at beating up a burglar whilst I'm wearing a pair of badly soiled boxer shorts ?

Sith Happens
44 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah - I think that's probably most people's view. Let's hope it never happens to us because I'm not sure how good I'd be at beating up a burglar whilst I'm wearing a pair of badly soiled boxer shorts ?

Take them off and throw em at him, that should do the trick. 

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

We’ve got so much tackle for self defence you wouldn’t believe that’s before you get to 3 dogs weighing 160 kilos plus between them,come in my home with my children and it’s game on mother ducker?

Thats ok, aslong as they dont lick the burglar to death. That would make a good headline ?

Archived