Derby County vs West Bromwich Albion

cannable

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positive comments re nuge but it was a strange decision to bring him on.

i would rather we bring on Marriott. Yes he is a bit smaller and he wants it to feet, but his build up play is good. His finishing could be just what we need. And i'd love to see him integrated back in the group.

One vote for Jack. (Next time)

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there was a passage of play late on in the 2nd half where Mount, Bogle, Tomori & possibly Wilson and Laurence kept the ball down our right showing experience way beyond their years.  It then got switched to the left & Malone got a shot off that Johnstone saved.  I thought it was an outstanding bit of football and one I’ll look forward to seeing again on the Sky coverage.  Pity it didn’t end up as a goal that I feel it deserved

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great game, and what a great atmosphere! 

I had set myself that regardless of the result I was happy with this season, despite the absolute dross we have been served up at times. To think that last summer we had a new manager who had never manages before, and assistant who I don't think had assisted before, and a squad which had  about two thirds of it changed. Like many I was going to be happy at top half, possibly as high as 10th.  In reality we have had a superb season, seen some lovely football and we are in the play-offs.

I actually didn't know what to expect today, but hoped that suggestions that West Brom would take it easy to avoid injuries. Actually they put out a really strong team, and it soon  became clear that rather than avoid injuries, they were going to inflict them on our players. They are probably the dirtiest team I have seen at Pride Park this season. They had marked Holmes out as a threat because they clattered him in the first five minutes, and although he played well, he was struggling from that moment onwards. They also hit Wilson and Mount hard as well, and were cleared scared of our pace on the attack - every time we were breaking through there was a cynical foul. It seemed that whatever West Brom could muster, we had an answer, hence them only creating about 3 of their own chances.

I still found myself getting frustrated by the chuckle Brothers passing at the back, but on actual fact it gently prised the Baggies open so we could attack. The stats are impressive - depending on your source it was 19 shots with 10 on target, or 23 shots with 13 on target. What a shot tally!

And although West Brom did have a few threatening moments, they only carved us open about 3 times, including that training ground free-kick routine in the first half. All their other opportunities cam from us setting them up because of sloppy play.

I am not going to single anyone out specifically, because the whole team did really well, apart from that minutes or so where we watched them score against us. Perhaps the only bad mark would be against Johnson for giving the ball away so many times and causing our attacks to break down. But he upped his game in the second half. 

Waggy's goal was absolutely stupendous. It was only a simple cross and header, but it was a first time ball in exactly the right place, and Waggy was exactly where he should be and the finish was beautiful. I love football when I get to see something like that, even if it was at the other end of the pitch! Apparently Ramage had said a minute or so before the goal that it was no good putting crosses in up in the air because the big defenders were winning everything! What does an ex-professional know?

Their equaliser was a pretty good effort as well, but it didn't take us long to get going again. About 5 or 10 minutes before our second I said to my son that we were going to absolutely batter them.  Enter Bennett stage left - he had actually almost set Lawrence up for a goal, then poked the rebound home. He was booked for shirt removal, but by then they had been given 4 yellows for dirty fouls, we had got one for taking a shirt off. What a contrast in team philosophy!

The penalty was just rewards for a brilliant run into the area by our Tom. It was one of those moments where you see the foul without really seeing it - my eye was already going to where Tom was going to have a clear shot, but I knew that his trailing foot had been clipped. Having seen the Sky highlights, it sowed that Sky still don't like Derby, continuing their seizing every chance to be negative about us. They were blathering on for ages afterwards about there having been no contact, I don't know which match the replays they were watching was from, but you can't avoid seeing the contact. No mention of the 15 or 20 other clear penalties we weren't given earlier in the season.

After that, the Baggies were done. We had destroyed them, and had a couple of sessions of simply toying with them, It may seem a bit cruel, but in reality we could still face them in the final, so to do their heads in a bit more  is all good!

Everything looks very good going forwards. I don't fear Leeds at all, because we will go into both matches with formations and techniques and routines which Leeds will know nothing about at all. They only played us, and all the other teams at the time off the park, simply because they knew exactly what we were going to do and had got an answer ready. Not this time, kiddo! Maybe Villa are a bit of a threat as they have mullered us twice, without cheating as far as we know, but for the match at Villa Park we were without Mason Mount, and his lay-off shows just how important he is to us, Well Villa, he's back, and so are we!

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I hope that whoever gave the go-ahead to allow those bloody inflatable footballs into the ground doesn't repeat their stupidity for the Leeds game

https://www.partyperfecto.co.uk/products/1966216?variant=1567732891692&utm_campaign=gs-2018-10-08&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI16Sc0JeF4gIVjp3tCh13nQjfEAQYAyABEgLRWfD_BwE

99p a pop. I'll order 10 for you.

It never occurred to me that Roos would make a mistake. 

I never thought that Wilson would miss the penalty. 

Derby have clicked and you would have to pick Leeds to play on present form. We will need a two goal lead at home and to score one up there. We are capable of doing this. WBA can score 3 against Villa over two legs but can they keep Villa down to two goals? I think not. WBA did a few fouls today which could make a difference either way atgainzt Villa. I assume that Waghorn will miss at least one game against WBA. COYR??

3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Did we win?

I was sat in a restaurant with the family, a seat looking into the bar area and could see about half of the screen of Sky Sports at lunch time, we had soup and a sandwich, I went for the cauliflower soup, it was very tastie, very creamy and we finished bang on 12:30, where the family dragged me out, in to the countryside to go cycling around a load of snowy hills for hours and hours. I had one of them bikes with a little yellow buggy with an orange flag attached for the little one and up and down hills have been all poxy afternoon, my nose is red, my fIngers are frozen and we are all cream crackered.

Sometimes you just have to do the right thing together, as a family. 

We're All Rams Together............I think the family meant well, I have a feeling it might have all worked out well.

Inverurie what a guy! 

Bolton away earlier in the season in the away pub were to oldish guys singing Nugent songs and starting the bounce, they was telling everyone it was Nuges dad and Uncle never believed them until I saw them with him bouncing p*ssed on the pitch ?

Archived