Football Club Ownership

MaltRam

Poetically inspired (drunk) ramblings.....

All clubs should be in some sense 'franchised' to the league they play in. Stadia and training facilities must be owned by the club.

The owner of that club, be it an individual or group should be formally registered by name with the league in the percentage of the club they own. 

Each club can spend whatsoever amount of money its owners see fit and are able to beg or borrow at any time without restriction.

The owner is responsible for any and all debt accrued. If the club can't pay its bills, it is immediately transferred to the ownership of the league, with the owners removed from any further association with the club but retaining the debt they've built up.

At this stage contracts for all staff revert to some nominal wage and they have complete freedom to leave or renegotiate subject to transfer window rules (which should be abandoned anyway). (Players agents - do some homework about who you're signing for)

The league invite interested parties to take over the club for free, with the league and a representative panel of supporters 'in good standing in the community' choosing the best fit.

The clubs remain safe, the supporters keep their club, and any chancer wanting to play with a train set gets a reality check in his own bank balance.

That's off the top of my head, and despite the fact it's almost certainly not legal and I can see about a dozen gaping holes in it already I wonder if anyone can pick it to bits and come up with a better idea to prevent Portsmouth/Bolton type situations?? Easy to criticise the EFL failure on this topic, but what should they do???

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Needless said:

Poetically inspired (drunk) ramblings.....

All clubs should be in some sense 'franchised' to the league they play in. Stadia and training facilities must be owned by the club.

The owner of that club, be it an individual or group should be formally registered by name with the league in the percentage of the club they own. 

Each club can spend whatsoever amount of money its owners see fit and are able to beg or borrow at any time without restriction.

The owner is responsible for any and all debt accrued. If the club can't pay its bills, it is immediately transferred to the ownership of the league, with the owners removed from any further association with the club but retaining the debt they've built up.

At this stage contracts for all staff revert to some nominal wage and they have complete freedom to leave or renegotiate subject to transfer window rules (which should be abandoned anyway). (Players agents - do some homework about who you're signing for)

The league invite interested parties to take over the club for free, with the league and a representative panel of supporters 'in good standing in the community' choosing the best fit.

The clubs remain safe, the supporters keep their club, and any chancer wanting to play with a train set gets a reality check in his own bank balance.

That's off the top of my head, and despite the fact it's almost certainly not legal and I can see about a dozen gaping holes in it already I wonder if anyone can pick it to bits and come up with a better idea to prevent Portsmouth/Bolton type situations?? Easy to criticise the EFL failure on this topic, but what should they do???

I'd make football clubs repay whatever debt they have at the end of every financial year. April 5th the "owner" dips his hands into his pockets and pays his bills.

You must have a clear set of accounts to compete in next seasons fixtures. Any club who can't pay it's debt is immediately banned from signing new players, or of adding to their wage bill.

I'd relegate Bolton tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'd make football clubs repay whatever debt they have at the end of every financial year. April 5th the "owner" dips his hands into his pockets and pays his bills.

You must have a clear set of accounts to compete in next seasons fixtures. Any club who can't pay it's debt is immediately banned from signing new players, or of adding to their wage bill.

Unfortunately, you are completely rewriting the company's act to apply to a subset of companies. There would be a flight of capital from football and no cash for anyone.

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Unfortunately, you are completely rewriting the company's act to apply to a subset of companies. There would be a flight of capital from football and no cash for anyone.

I didn't say I'd be a very good EFL CEO. My economic ideas are usually over simplified to the point of being foolish.

Something has to change.

Just now, ronnieronalde said:

I didn't say I'd be a very good EFL CEO. My economic ideas are usually over simplified to the point of being foolish.

Something has to change.

sounds you are thinking along the lines of the German model which mandates that football clubs have to have a certain ownership structure that is NOT a company as we would understand it.

The League could do it - insist that clubs must be charitable trusts or something - they have very strict rules and limits on how much they can borrow (very little usually)!

Whether there would be appetite to is very debateable - the League CEOs are now used to being remunerated as though they wee bosses of multinational companies. Would they willingly go back to earning national average wages (or just above)?

would take a big leap of faith!

42 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Better idea than mine! 

Wish you'd said something about Bolton before though. ?

Archived