The Colours of The Rams: The shirt colours of Derby County Football Club

loweman2

25 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Just came across a photo of Asanovic wearing a kit i've never seen before. If it's real, must be the 96/97 3rd Kit but can't find any other mention of it online. Does anyone remember it/have any info cos I'd love to get my hands on one if they made replicas?

image.png.519e5d6afdbeeadcdd5bcbbcfbc5315d.png

Those look a lot like the home shorts from 96/97.

image.png.d517540fc7e9833651e9cb6d5b4b0a5a.png

Although as I wasn't old enough to notice such things, I don't know if it would be weird to have a different shirt with the same shorts? Would be very strange in modern football.
But if it was anything like modern day it seems to suggest its not real.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Those look a lot like the home shorts from 96/97.

image.png.d517540fc7e9833651e9cb6d5b4b0a5a.png

Although as I wasn't old enough to notice such things, I don't know if it would be weird to have a different shirt with the same shorts? Would be very strange in modern football.
But if it was anything like modern day it seems to suggest its not real.

I think it's somehow a badly transferred image of the home kit but can't find the original photo of it being white either. Having reverse image searched it, there's multiple versions of it in yellow but no white...

My only other theory is that it was a prototype/never officially used top and this shot was taken in a friendly or somewhere obscure (which'd also explain the mismatched shorts?)

Proper mystery ?

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think it's somehow a badly transferred image of the home kit but can't find the original photo of it being white either. Having reverse image searched it, there's multiple versions of it in yellow but no white...

My only other theory is that it was a prototype/never officially used top and this shot was taken in a friendly or somewhere obscure

Proper mystery ?

WAIT A MINUTE!

image.png.1c44ca268920111de3c65eb5006a0f93.png

Here it is in all its grainy glory.

I assume therefore @Ghost of Clough that we played a game against someone in yellow shorts and switched to our home shorts. I seem to remember that happening from time to time.

1995-96-Puma-Yellow1884.png

95-97 away, according to our main man.

He also shows the home shirt for the same 95-97 period, along with (more familiar) away shirts for each of the 95-96 and 96-97 seasons, so assume the yellow one is third kit?

http://est1884.com/the-bbg

EDIT:

It's the end of the BBG era, so you'll need to scroll down to the very last 2 lines/4 shirts on that link.

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

95-97 away, according to our main man.

He also shows the home shirt for the same 95-97 period, along with (more familiar) away shirts for each of the 95-96 and 96-97 seasons, so assume the yellow one is third kit?

http://est1884.com/the-bbg

EDIT:

It's the end of the BBG era, so you'll need to scroll down to the very last 2 lines/4 shirts on that link.

11 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Great work finding those haha, never ever seen any replicas of this though but craving owning one of these bad boys now ?

I've brought up all the videos from our 1996-97 season, and in all our away games we're either wearing our home kit or this one 

image.png.9e23ce684c24b51d91d39bf80ee78ac7.png

So twas only used during the 1995-96 season based on the videos. Also, Asanovic wasn't a Derby player until the 1996-97 season - so I think therefore that picture of Asanovic must be pre-season? Unless we happened to wear it in one of few games I can't find video for.

EDIT: Scratch the "Only wore" bit, we also apparently wore a dark blue top that season.

If we wore that yellow one as well at some point we must be getting close to a record for most different kits worn in a season? ? 

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I've brought up all the videos from our 1996-97 season, and in all our away games we're either wearing our home kit or this one 

image.png.9e23ce684c24b51d91d39bf80ee78ac7.png

So twas only used during the 1995-96 season based on the videos. Also, Asanovic wasn't a Derby player until the 1996-97 season - so I think therefore that picture of Asanovic must be pre-season? Unless we happened to wear it in one of few games I can't find video for.

EDIT: Scratch the "Only wore" bit, we also apparently wore a dark blue top that season.

If we wore that yellow one as well at some point we must be getting close to a record for most different kits worn in a season? ? 

That's insane, cheers for digging through all that. Is it likely that no replicas were ever made of that particular yellow variant then? I've seen the home one come up semi-regularly online, along with the maroon away strip but never, ever seen that yellow beauty haha

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

That's insane, cheers for digging through all that. Is it likely that no replicas were ever made of that particular yellow variant then? I've seen the home one come up semi-regularly online, along with the maroon away strip but never, ever seen that yellow beauty haha

Well the yellow one was our proper away shirt during our promotion season, apparently - so I'd have expected replicas of that to exist. But I suppose they'd be less common as we weren't a Premiership side? 

Did we have a club shop back then? ? 

Did fans wear kits to division one games? 

Did anyone even make replicas for non PL sides?

How young am I?

29 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Great work finding those haha, never ever seen any replicas of this though but craving owning one of these bad boys now ?

Here she is ! Proper rarity as it was used as the third kit and worn in around five games over those two seasons, they never made a replica kit of it, really nice quality shirt.

6B7FE817-D78C-4095-878E-3F073C2C77F8.jpeg

F669B433-4F99-4EED-9D2D-A975A5EA6E16.jpeg

586AAE23-2543-4E1B-85BC-CCD759ECED90.jpeg

C0C891D0-0300-4CC6-9A5C-DC839314E88E.jpeg

1 minute ago, loweman2 said:

Here she is ! Proper rarity as it was used as the third kit and worn in around five games over those two seasons, they never made a replica kit of it, really nice quality shirt.

6B7FE817-D78C-4095-878E-3F073C2C77F8.jpeg

F669B433-4F99-4EED-9D2D-A975A5EA6E16.jpeg

586AAE23-2543-4E1B-85BC-CCD759ECED90.jpeg

C0C891D0-0300-4CC6-9A5C-DC839314E88E.jpeg

Looks like i'm getting in touch with Puma then for a custom job then ? that's a seriously nice kit though

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Looks like i'm getting in touch with Puma then for a custom job then ? that's a seriously nice kit though

Get yourself a copy of the book aswell, never leave home without it, never get caught short again ???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1727616618/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+colours+of+the+rams&qid=1556395100&s=gateway&sr=8-1

1 minute ago, loweman2 said:

Get yourself a copy of the book aswell, never leave home without it, never get caught short again ???

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1727616618/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+colours+of+the+rams&qid=1556395100&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Will grab a copy as soon as I can because I do appreciate the help, would have convinced myself it was a photoshop job otherwise haha

• 3 months later...
On 10 July 2019 at 16:56, loweman2 said:

its a great idea however im not sure that I have the inclination to go through the whole thing again but with track suit tops !!

I do love that umbro one, the ones on ebay are just standard umbro retro tops that somebody has paid to have the ram embroidered on, the give away for this is that the ram is on the wrong side, the white one at Wembley had the badge on the correct side if I remember correctly, however it if had of been from the 70s it would have been blue and white not black and white, old cloughie used to wear some nice early umbro track tops.

good to see that you are keeping the old grey matter ticking over @Inverurie Ram!!

I was wearing this at Charlton on Saturday @loweman2 and yes I know which side the Ram is on, not that anyone else noticed!

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I noticed it was in the club shop a few days ago when I was umming and arrghing about getting some new Christmas Baubles and wondering when the Christmas Jumper would land in store, the excitement, suspense is just killing me at the moment!

It's surely time for an orange Christmas Jumper with Patrick emblazoned across the front!

Might just buy a bag of hazelnuts instead.

Archived