False economy examples

FindernRam

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1983, the Sunday Times recalled their expert from a European trip in order to cut costs (on Rupert Murdoch's orders) before the expert had had the chance to authenticate some documents they had been sent to inspect.

The Sunday Times went on to pay for and publish extracts from those documents, the Hitler Diaries.

No false economy - real economy.

My favourite go-to chilli sauce at the moment is Encona Carolina Reaper, which last year was on sale at Tescos for around £1.20 a bottle. So I used to buy 4 or 5 at a pop, every couple of months.

Last month, my local co-op started stocking it, priced up at £1.70 a bottle. Needless to say, none shifted - well, not to me anyway. This morning, I noticed that they had reduced it to £1.

There are none left - well, not after I had walked down the aisle anyway.

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

BOGOFs. Now you have 2 or more of the things that you would never consider buying singularly in the first place.

Costco can be a bit like that, you end up with a case of something that cost you 20p less than you wouldn't have paid for one in the supermarket.

some you lose...some you win.....

Some you lose.....

last year when a whole load of things all went wrong at once, i thought i'd save money by buying a replacement tv and washing machine in an auction. Cost me £300 delivered. Tv was ok but the washing machine was making a bad noise. Tried to get some money back and the auction house weren't interested. So i paid out another £25-30 to sue them through the small claims court. Suddenly they couldn't phone me quick enough. I think i got about £180 back. The fookin thing died this weekend and i had to buy a new one afterall. It lasted 6 months.

Some you win.....main dealer quoted £1000 plus vat to replace the condensers on the wife's car's air conditioning. Found a bloke in mickleover who did it on easter sunday morning in two hours for £350.

Yes.....back of the net.

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Costco can be a bit like that, you end up with a case of something that cost you 20p less than you wouldn't have paid for one in the supermarket.

Exactly. And there's a reason the supermarkets do it as well as they know how our minds work as consumers

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

That was my understanding.

I have the auto version, so it kicks in whenever the car comes to a halt (assuming engine temp and battery is all up to temp/power, of course).

Unless I'm surrounded by crowds of pedestrians, I always switch mine off (so the engine continues to run).  Main reason is because I just find it so bloody annoying!

It does auto re-set each time the ignition is switched off/on though, so it normally takes a "stall" before I remember to cancel it again!  

Stop / start is the most annoying thing out ,it's also counter productive as fewer cars get through traffic lights as everyone hesitates for their bloody engines to start.

Archived