Soldier F

StockholmRam

41 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

You need to do some research.  Both sides committed murder, however when it was committed by the UDF, and associated groups, it was massively under reported.  UDF would go house to house, hunting alleged IRA members, and the Police and Military just stood off, and did nothing.

It is such a difficult thing to expect families on all sides to give up the search for justice for loved ones killed over the length of the troubles. But it was such a hate filled mess with senseless killing and revenge killing rolling on and on that I’m really not sure you can find peace there unless all sides accept amnesty for the greater good and the future children of Northern Ireland  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/04/2019 at 12:19, StockholmRam said:

There are very real instructions ( dunno about today but im my time a yellow open fire instructions card you carried with you) to be followed. 

I think most of us thought that with the good friday agreement that a sort of amnesty for both sides, in that particular conflict, had been given. How wrong we were.

Good luck getting the right stuff to sign up and serve in the future. Good luck getting modern serving members having a feelgood factor about the current government they serve under. 

The 'Rules of engagement' still exist (different colour nowadays).

But they are there supposedly to protect those in combat, however like any legal document, they are open to interpretation.

48 minutes ago, eddie said:

Just to demonstrate that you shouldn't ever look at the Troubles as one-sided...

The UVF (another Protestant paramilitary group) murdered 33 in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings in 1974 - almost all women and children who were enjoying a day's shopping - and over 500 overall during the Troubles.

The first leader of the UVF was Gusty Spence - he was still leader and direct controller of the organisation (from inside Maze Prison) at the time of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

Spence was a former British soldier.

Yep, think most are aware neither side exactly covered themselves in glory. Back to the op, do you think that any amnesty should cover both sides of just the one?

9 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Yep, think most are aware neither side exactly covered themselves in glory. Back to the op, do you think that any amnesty should cover both sides of just the one?

I refer my right honourable friend to the answer I gave earlier (which was 'yes' - an 'amnesty' that offers cover to one side or faction only is not an amnesty).

37 minutes ago, eddie said:

I refer my right honourable friend to the answer I gave earlier (which was 'yes' - an 'amnesty' that offers cover to one side or faction only is not an amnesty).

If it covers both Unionist and Nationalist terrorist activity (to your own earlier point) then it does cover both sides. If any amnesty is broadened to include things like armies, police forces then that is another dimension all together. I've made my point on that so won't go on about all of that again but I just wanted to comment that you can have a meaningful amnesty without involving any involvement of individuals like soldiers.

On 22/04/2019 at 12:43, Gritters said:

I don’t know much about what happened but was the person who got shot an innocent victim who just happened to be walking to the shop for a packet of fags and a few tinnies.

My dad served and said he almost shot someone who was walking, almost running, towards him and had his arm tucked up under their armpit. My dad had to pin him against the wall and search him to make sure he wasn't in any danger from this guy. In the end, it turned out the guy was walking home from the chippy and had his tea under his armpit to keep it warm until he got home.  

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

If it covers both Unionist and Nationalist terrorist activity (to your own earlier point) then it does cover both sides. If any amnesty is broadened to include things like armies, police forces then that is another dimension all together. I've made my point on that so won't go on about all of that again but I just wanted to comment that you can have a meaningful amnesty without involving any involvement of individuals like soldiers.

Seeing as the Dublin and Monaghan bombings 'seemed to' involve personnel related to, or even directly involved with the British forces, and may have been even undertaken with the tacit approval of high-ranking British forces (MI5 etc) and possibly even government, I have a feeling that we will not see movement on that until everyone involved is dead.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather confused approach to resolving this. In essence you can be protected from future investigations unless you served in Northern Ireland. Wrong on many levels for me. 

- You can't have geographic exceptions to what is, and what isn't, outside acceptable. The hidden text here is that it's OK to be protected from having committed crimes against foreigners but if it's our own people (possibly who have the right to vote for you) then we should be prepared to listen to them.

- What about future conflicts now? I don't believe you can treat this like a speeding offence in that if you haven't been caught within a time period then you are effectively free from prosecution. I also wouldn't want us in a place where we are constantly rehashing over old events - especially if we are now judging them with the lens of current opinion - but this gets us to neither place.

In general, messy and poor direction - how are politicians able to consider this work done? If I released something like this, with more holes than Swiss cheeses, I'd get rightly mauled for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/15/mordaunt-vows-introduce-amnesty-military-veterans

Archived