Waghorn or Marriott?

Archied

3 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I agree totally on Vydra , and again did from the start and I don't think Marriott is a bad player by any stretch . But I really really rate Waghorn as an all round striker I think he's got everything. 

Yeah I certainly rate Waghorn without a doubt at this level, and he certainly brings the balance to our side up front. Just get the feeling if either is gonna reach the level above, it would be Marriott.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both, Marriott , instead of Lawrence. Scrap the 4-3-3 and play the diamond instead. Not like our wingers provide the width anyway, like Russell and ward used to.  Bogle and Cole provide that. That would allow Wilson to move more centrally where he is far more effective behind a forward two

On 21/04/2019 at 20:34, Millenniumram said:

You not heard any of Lampards comments then? Hardly baseless to have some suspicions, especially when you add in mccarthys comments about why he let him go.

On reflection I was probably a bit rude - my apologies. I don't like negativity around the club, but probably in reality I was the negative one there.

I do think though that we can't help things by speculating on player's temperament and attitude when we don't really know them aside from what we see and hear in the media. I think a person's attitude is quite a personal thing to speculate on if you don't know them.

You might wonder about my attitude if you looked too deeply at my comment to you as a matter of fact. A bit of irony there ?

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

Both, Marriott , instead of Lawrence. Scrap the 4-3-3 and play the diamond instead. Not like our wingers provide the width anyway, like Russell and ward used to.  Bogle and Cole provide that. That would allow Wilson to move more centrally where he is far more effective behind a forward two

You know, I was actually a bit disappointed when Waghorn came off, I’d have loved to have seen Marriott playing off him. Whether Wilson moved in, Lawrence goes off whatever. 

In the end it all worked out well but unless Waghorn was tiring badly, I just thought it a shame we ended with Nugent and Marriott playing up top together, when it could have been the other combination; just to see if they could play off each other.

53 minutes ago, Tombo said:

On reflection I was probably a bit rude - my apologies. I don't like negativity around the club, but probably in reality I was the negative one there.

I do think though that we can't help things by speculating on player's temperament and attitude when we don't really know them aside from what we see and hear in the media. I think a person's attitude is quite a personal thing to speculate on if you don't know them.

You might wonder about my attitude if you looked too deeply at my comment to you as a matter of fact. A bit of irony there ?

Aha no worries mate, Tbf some of those comments did go slightly under the radar and it’s more reading between the lines than anything else particularly solid. In all fairness, jack looked a bit sharper when he came on today, if there ever was doubts on his fitness perhaps he’s shown to frank he can reach the required levels now. Seems to be returning to favour whichever way up.

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

You know, I was actually a bit disappointed when Waghorn came off, I’d have loved to have seen Marriott playing off him. Whether Wilson moved in, Lawrence goes off whatever. 

In the end it all worked out well but unless Waghorn was tiring badly, I just thought it a shame we ended with Nugent and Marriott playing up top together, when it could have been the other combination; just to see if they could play off each other.

That was my sentiments exactly at the time. I thought Waghorn was having his best spell of the game when he got subbed. He'd had a couple of decent exchanges with Mount which looked like unlocking the door for us. However I bow to Franks superior knowledge as we ultimately went on to win the game. I still think Waghorn and Marriott as two would be a real handful for any defence in this league.

On 21/04/2019 at 20:15, RiddingsRam said:

That's a joke right ? Waghorn is a streets ahead , all round better player /centre forward.

How can you even say that they are 2 completely different types of strikers waghorn has the all round game and is better at holding it up but clinically/goal scoring marriott is better! You put marriott in the right team with players who and thread the ball through to him and he would score more then waghorn waghorn is just better in our team

Thought it showed yesterday how Marriott’s confidence has dropped.

Clean through you would have thought he would have relished the opportunity to bang one in. Before Christmas he would have.

Instead, he played a pretty average ball to Wilson whose scuffed effort seemed to wrongfoot the keeper.

If we get the old Marriott back, he should start without a doubt. At present he looks like Waghorn’s number two. 

Archived