Waghorn or Marriott?

Archied

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see them both together playing down the middle, with fullbacks who can push on, to give us width, which we've have in Bogle and Malone.  Then a midfield four that is capable of competing physically with the opposition midfield while supporting the front two and providing cover for the fullbacks. The problem is we haven't got the players who can form such a midfield unit.

On current form then the answer is unequivocally Waggers. Bit unfair to compare them like for like as they are such different types of players that bring different attributes to the table. Having just said that, I realise the OP is not necessarily comparing them like for like. All depends how we set up as to which is the one to go with. Quite like the idea of trying them both together but I feel that JM needs to get his match sharpness back for this to bear fruit. Will Frank be brave enough to gamble on a change of formation at this crucial point? Doubt it, so this may be the master plan for next season.

Thought waggy was brilliant against Birmingham. Exquisite finish, very hard to execute so fair cop to him. 

His centre forward play all day was top draw. Carried on his good work from the Bolton game and against tougher defenders at Birmingham. We needed to play it into the channels more and gain territory. We did this on occasions but not enough. There isn't anything wrong with playing direct football, we need to understand in some situations it's the way to go. 

Hoping he can keep the form going and reckon 15 goals for the season should be a target for him now.

5 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

On current form then the answer is unequivocally Waggers. Bit unfair to compare them like for like as they are such different types of players that bring different attributes to the table. Having just said that, I realise the OP is not necessarily comparing them like for like. All depends how we set up as to which is the one to go with. Quite like the idea of trying them both together but I feel that JM needs to get his match sharpness back for this to bear fruit. Will Frank be brave enough to gamble on a change of formation at this crucial point? Doubt it, so this may be the master plan for next season.

Yep can’t compare like for like but as all round players waghorn for me is head and shoulders above and brings far more than Marriott at this point , not saying Marriott hasn’t shown potential and can’t go on to be as good or better but at this point he has a long way to go as after a really bright spell he has looked out of his depth and frustrated too often ,losing the ball and fouling the defenders needlessly , yet to prove he can step up the level for me , really hope he can but there’s a lot of work to be done 

Waghorn is the best for to play the 433 currently favoured by lamps.....it works very well and requires a decent hold up striker in that role.

Marriott is a very different style of striker and doesn't fit that system...

I questioned why we had even bought waggers earlier in the season but since we have reverted to 433 it makes perfect sense but leaves Marriott and nuge as impact strikers.

I just hope waghorn doesn't get injured as we don't have any like for like backup and that left us in the brown stuff back in 2015.

I'm not convinced we have an effective alternative system in place that Marriott would thrive in,fit or not.

I don’t think we have seen the best from either player, so it’s pretty even for me.

Marriott has struggled with fitness all season and so he’s been in and out of the side, but looked good in spells.

Waghorn has been played out of position for two thirds of the season, so with an extended run up front, who knows how he might perform?

Two good players, good enough for a midtable Championship side. If we have aspirations above and beyond that, we’ll need to find better.

On 20/04/2019 at 16:18, Archied said:

Not sure I agree ,for me waghorn is the better player by some way

Agree completely 

all round game is significantly better, Marriott when in form has shown to be a very good finisher but waghorn is far from shabby in that respect , tbh from what Iv seen he’s pretty sharp himself 

both are identical mind, like all strikers ... or at least the vast majority that without the right service look ineffectual 

Waghorn for me and by some distance. Wasn't that fussed about Waggy's signing initially but delighted nonetheless that he's proved me wrong. Marriott has serious potential and when our midfield is fully firing, he can be lethal but his game is currently quite one-dimensional. This said, he still has serious scope for improvement and provides us with a different option to Waghorn so we will see how progresses from here. With the right kind of service, I still feel certain he can get 20 goals a season but he has a bit to prove right now. 

Waghorn seems to me to have a much more fully rounded game; he's shown he can score goals but most recently we've seen him holding up the ball well too, allowing others to makes runs around him. This seems to be a facet to our game that we've missed since Chris Martin was first loaned out and unlike Marriott, whose form has dipped sharply, he is finishing the season really strongly. He's a proper unit too and is far harder for opposition defenders to push off the ball, at least when played to feet. He also seems to have settled into the side well and plays with heart and a smile on his face and is very much a Lamps type of player IMO. I also really like the way he is always at pains to encourage those around him, especially the younger players, though I did note he seemed quite frustrated in the Brum game. I put this down to him understanding the importance of that match, however and the lack of protection being afforded to our players by the officials against a very physical outfit. 

On 20/04/2019 at 15:33, Millenniumram said:

Fully fit, in form with his eye in, and up to full strength, Marriott is undoubtedly the better player. In fact, he could be one of the best strikers in the division with his talent when he fully on his game. But it’s been a long while since he’s been that fit, and he looks a lost cause atm. Dunno whether he’s got a poor attitude to training or fitness, but he ain’t up to championship levels at the moment. So for this season at least, despite his inferior quality, Waghorns superior fitness and strength puts him without a doubt our first choice number 9.

That's a joke right ? Waghorn is a streets ahead , all round better player /centre forward.

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

That's a joke right ? Waghorn is a streets ahead , all round better player /centre forward.

You’ll see yet... if Marriott ever gets fit. That’s no dig on Waghorn who right now is better and is certainly a good player without a doubt, but I think Marriott has serious potential and is only playing at less than 50% his ability imo from what we’ve seen in the main so far, aside that one good spell. 

Trust me, I was right on Vydra when most this place was writing him off and I’m pretty sure I can see a player in Marriott. However I do wonder about his attitude.. we’ll see I guess.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You’ll see yet... if Marriott ever gets fit. That’s no dig on Waghorn who right now is better and is certainly a good player without a doubt, but I think Marriott has serious potential and is only playing at less than 50% his ability imo from what we’ve seen in the main so far, aside that one good spell. 

Trust me, I was right on Vydra when most this place was writing him off and I’m pretty sure I can see a player in Marriott. However I do wonder about his attitude.. we’ll see I guess.

Takes the moral high ground...peddles a baseless rumour that he couldn't possibly have any idea about as he doesn't know him on a personal level moments later

Genius.

dcfcfans.uk, you never fail to amaze me.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

Takes the moral high ground...peddles a baseless rumour that he couldn't possibly have any idea about as he doesn't know him on a personal level moments later

Genius.

dcfcfans.uk, you never fail to amaze me.

You not heard any of Lampards comments then? Hardly baseless to have some suspicions, especially when you add in mccarthys comments about why he let him go.

43 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree totally on Vydra , and again did from the start and I don't think Marriott is a bad player by any stretch . But I really really rate Waghorn as an all round striker I think he's got everything. 

I prefer Waghorn, I personally think he's better at hold up play, and helps us physically when we start him, and I don't think Marriott has looked good for quite a few months now. Waghorn is the best hold up striker we've had since Martin, and he works really hard for the team.

Archived