Waghorn or Marriott?

Archied

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fully fit, in form with his eye in, and up to full strength, Marriott is undoubtedly the better player. In fact, he could be one of the best strikers in the division with his talent when he fully on his game. But it’s been a long while since he’s been that fit, and he looks a lost cause atm. Dunno whether he’s got a poor attitude to training or fitness, but he ain’t up to championship levels at the moment. So for this season at least, despite his inferior quality, Waghorns superior fitness and strength puts him without a doubt our first choice number 9.

Waghorn played very well v brum

marriott looked a natural finisher earlier in the season.

oh for the days when we played two up front and the midfield had to win their own battle without the benefit of the extra man. Dare i even suggest that the luxury widemen should tuck in and drop back as required.

very retro i know. 

44 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Fully fit, in form with his eye in, and up to full strength, Marriott is undoubtedly the better player. In fact, he could be one of the best strikers in the division with his talent when he fully on his game. But it’s been a long while since he’s been that fit, and he looks a lost cause atm. Dunno whether he’s got a poor attitude to training or fitness, but he ain’t up to championship levels at the moment. So for this season at least, despite his inferior quality, Waghorns superior fitness and strength puts him without a doubt our first choice number 9.

Not sure I agree ,for me waghorn is the better player by some way

You have to compete in the championship and waghorn does that Marriott needs space in behind and when it has been denied he has totally disappeared but it’s his first taste of the championship yet he scored against man united Chelsea and Southampton because he had space in behind this season

Both have strenghs and weakness's personally not fussed one or the other .But I would only have bought one and spent somewhere else if we are only playing one up top..

We have played too many games with Waghorn out wide and Marriott in the middle and it's not the answer.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Not sure I agree ,for me waghorn is the better player by some way

Fair enough, I just don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near what marriotts capable of, only glimpses which show to me his potential. Waghorn at the moment is clearly the better player, but he’s playing at maximum, both at maximum and I think you’ll see Marriott is better... if he ever gets himself fit enough, of course.

Marriott is a natural goalscorer plays with pace on the shoulder of the defender. Problem is, he just hasn't been getting the service because we've been playing in a way that doesn't suit him and his style. I've said it numerous times before you can't just lump the ball forward and hope he gets something on it, we have to look back at performances like Chelsea away and start incorporating his talent into the squad again.

Waghorn for me. He's been given opportunities up front in recent months and looked the part, wasn't too keen when he was stuck out wide but he was clearly out of position. Leads the line brilliantly when our midfield support him. 

Marriott was red hot for a little spell but really tailed off, a lot of that is probably down to our lack of identity and inconsistent performances as a team. Confidence has been sapped out of him. He doesn't have the physical presence to cause teams problems when things aren't going for us which is why I'm going for Wag. 

Archived