Martyn Waghorn

Poynton ram

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-6937643/Five-years-death-Elena-Baltacha-inspiring-new-generation-play-tennis.html

Nice article in today's Daily Mail about the emotional support MW has given to Nino Severino, husband of the late tennis player Elena Baltacha. Severino became Waghorn's sports science coach, after a chance meeting when Waghorn was looking for somewhere his young son could play tennis and says of him "I've never met any athlete like Martyn with such an awareness about the technicalities of sport and how to improve."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played exceptionally well today. A wonderful goal obviously, held the ball up well bringing others into the game, and ran himself into the ground to pressurize the Birmingham defence. Second half was more difficult obviously as we were starved of good possession until the last 10 minutes. On this form, he should be an automatic choice for the number 9 slot for the last 4 games. 

6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Played exceptionally well today. A wonderful goal obviously, held the ball up well bringing others into the game, and ran himself into the ground to pressurize the Birmingham defence. Second half was more difficult obviously as we were starved of good possession until the last 10 minutes. On this form, he should be an automatic choice for the number 9 slot for the last 4 games. 

I feel we should rest him for the QPR game which comes around very quickly, have him fresh for Bristol game.

46 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I feel we should rest him for the QPR game which comes around very quickly, have him fresh for Bristol game.

Maybe, but if we don't beat QPR then even winning at Bristol City might not be enough for us. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not much kop in the air.

Doesn’t need to be though Roy, his strength and power make up for his height/aerial ability, like CM he uses his body well and knows how to get between the defender and the ball to control it well enough. Give him some service and he’ll do well. Good pace and mobility for a unit too, left those Brum defenders for dead earlier. 

We don’t need a big lump up top who’s good at heading the way Frank is trying to play. Saying that I can think of a couple of headed goals this side of Xmas from Waggy which were decent. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Doesn’t need to be though Roy, his strength and power make up for his height/aerial ability, like CM he uses his body well and knows how to get between the defender and the ball to control it well enough. Give him some service and he’ll do well. Good pace and mobility for a unit too, left those Brum defenders for dead earlier. 

We don’t need a big lump up top who’s good at heading the way Frank is trying to play. Saying that I can think of a couple of headed goals this side of Xmas from Waggy which were decent. 

This is the Championship, players need good aerial ability. He's a decent goalscorer with some okay ball skills. But to liken him to Martin is a joke, fans with short memories and a penchant for 'jolly smilers'.

Had a feeling Waghorn would play a crucial role in the second half of the season and boy is he proving it!! Yes we might have paid over the odds but no doubt he is a class player at this level.

Marriott looked good when he came on today as well, I’d play both of them with Lawrence in a three and drop Wilson who was piss poor again today!

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is the Championship, players need good aerial ability. He's a decent goalscorer with some okay ball skills. But to liken him to Martin is a joke, fans with short memories and a penchant for 'jolly smilers'.

I’m a big Martin fan......well the Mac era Martin.

Anyways I wouldn’t say Martin was a real aerial threat, his talent was with his feet and his positioning!

15 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’m a big Martin fan......well the Mac era Martin.

Anyways I wouldn’t say Martin was a real aerial threat, his talent was with his feet and his positioning!

Won plenty of freekicks from aerial balls kicked his way. Compared to Waghorn Martin's a real aerial threat! ?

I like Waggy a lot. You can see how game time is polishing his control. He had a few fluffed touches 2-3 games back but he’s on song now. He can kill a ball well and as someone else said .. he is very good at getting himself between ball and opponent. And ...he ain’t half a worker. It’s a while since we had a genuine muscular CF with some skill to boot.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Depends how you play if aerial ability is a necessity, you just need to be able to put it in the net more often than not in multiple ways. Vydra was pants in the air yet ended up top goalscorer, Pukki looking like the same and he'll be in the Prem net year. Play to peoples strength's, hoofing balls 2 yards above his head isn't playing to Waggy's strengths, as it wasn't Martin's when he was getting stick. 

No short memories here, I'm an absolute Martin fanboy til death but I'm not going to pretend he was something he wasn't. His heading ability was something criticised whilst here and the arguments the same for Waghorn as it was for Martin. Both pretty steady in the air, nothing to shout home about but not terrible either. 

Whilst there's plenty of excuses/reasons to give Martin's form over the past 2 years a bit of leeway I don't think comparing a striker who's scored 24 more goals than him in the same amount of time is a joke. He's the closest thing we've had to a Chris Martin type pivot for our team and he's banging in the goals. 

Archived