15K a week wage cap?

With our recent last few season's wage bill reportedly around the £37million mark, does anyone think anyone in our squad is worth  north of 15K a week.?

With a squad of, say 25 players at 15K a week wage cap, with an allowance of 2 players of up to 30K a week, the average being about 8-10, we could shrink our wage bill to about the £17m mark.

For an upper Championship team, do we think we have a single player who warrants a wage above 15k? I know we're tied into old contracts, but a lot of them are expiring at the end of this season.

Nobody in our squad has warranted a salary above £20k, let alone 30 plus.

If we unearth a gem, let them benefit financially, but based on at least a season and a half of consistent performances.

We've paid top dollar wages, but, in the main, we're getting average championship performances that don't warrant near Premiership wages.

Time to regroup and pay proportionate wages, only increased by performances out of our league.

Start where we are, then reward upwards in a measured way.

Brighton, Bournemouth, Huddersfield. They got out of our league without paying near Premiership wages.

Wages should reflect performances, not club expectations and the personal wealth of the owner....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

With our recent last few season's wage bill reportedly around the £37million mark, does anyone think anyone in our squad is worth  north of 15K a week.?

With a squad of, say 25 players at 15K a week wage cap, with an allowance of 2 players of up to 30K a week, the average being about 8-10, we could shrink our wage bill to about the £17m mark.

For an upper Championship team, do we think we have a single player who warrants a wage above 15k? I know we're tied into old contracts, but a lot of them are expiring at the end of this season.

Nobody in our squad has warranted a salary above £20k, let alone 30 plus.

If we unearth a gem, let them benefit financially, but based on at least a season and a half of consistent performances.

We've paid top dollar wages, but, in the main, we're getting average championship performances that don't warrant near Premiership wages.

Time to regroup and pay proportionate wages, only increased by performances out of our league.

Start where we are, then reward upwards in a measured way.

Brighton, Bournemouth, Huddersfield. They got out of our league without paying near Premiership wages.

Wages should reflect performances, not club expectations and the personal wealth of the owner....

£17m drops us to bottom 6 wage territory. Only Millwall (£13m), Preston (15m), Burton (£10m), Brentford (£17m), and Barnsley (£11m) were at or below that figure last season. Two of those got relegated, whilst another may drop this year. 

Given we’re above the bottom 6, and a bottom 6 side having an average wage of £15k, then I would say our regular players deserve more than £15k pw

Current ave player wage would be around £1m a year (£20k a week) once the 123 non-playing staff have been removed from the calculation.

Too many senior players has been the biggest problem in my opinion, rather than necessarily the average wage paid which is likely to be similar to our competitors.

In pretty much all other walks of life, employees are paid as low as the bosses can get away with paying them or based on how much profit they help generate. Football appears to be the complete opposite. 

There's very few measures that can be used to assess how much a player is worth, the general rule appears to be as much as the agent can squeeze out of the club.

I'd be much more in favour of low basic wages with heavy incentives. This way you're only going to be splashing out the cash if your team is doing well and hopefully your players would always be motivated to put the effort in. Would hopefully make it easier to shift players that weren't performing or were no longer part of the plans.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

In pretty much all other walks of life, employees are paid as low as the bosses can get away with paying them or based on how much profit they help generate. Football appears to be the complete opposite. 

There's very few measures that can be used to assess how much a player is worth, the general rule appears to be as much as the agent can squeeze out of the club.

I'd be much more in favour of low basic wages with heavy incentives. This way you're only going to be splashing out the cash if your team is doing well and hopefully your players would always be motivated to put the effort in. Would hopefully make it easier to shift players that weren't performing or were no longer part of the plans.

If that is what you are demanding, how are we ever gonna persuade players of the quality of Butters, Johnson, Anya or Blackman to join??

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If that is what you are demanding, how are we ever gonna persuade players of the quality of Butters, Johnson, Anya or Blackman to join??

I really don’t see why Johnson always gets lumped in with those others. He’s always given his all, always battles and has done well imo 

4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I really don’t see why Johnson always gets lumped in with those others. He’s always given his all, always battles and has done well imo 

Agreed. 

We overpaid for him in the context of how he has been used but personally I think that applies to all of the players that were mentioned.

I think if you look at the cvs of them players,  it is only at Derby where they have been huge failures (although Butterfield has probably failed to shine a few times now)

13 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

We've clearly been living beyond our means salary-wise for many a season. Performances haven't matched that. Surely just a cost versus benefit, back of a fag packet simple economic conclusion?

A major problem has been the size of wages being payed to players nowhere near the first team.  Anya, Martin, butterfield, Blackman, nugent, wisdom etc.. that’s where it has gone wrong. 

What we are paying our first team regulars is probably similar to the rest of the “bigger” championship clubs.

Firstly, let’s get rid of the £12m+ wages that haven’t kicked a ball for Derby this season!! Should make good in roads into the wage bill with Blackman Butterfield Olsson Pearce all going. Nuge and Johnson I think will also go. We’ll still be saddled with Anya Martin and Thorne for another season. 

New recruits, £15-20k per week and no more, but more importantly right age or with a point to prove. Signings like Shinnie are spot on for where we are right now 

Wages are relative irrespective of how eye watering they may appear to normal hard-working folk. I believe in hindsight ( what a wonderful thing) we have overpaid certainly on transfer fees and wages more often than most clubs in this division.Can't blame the players for that but should look more at home into who were negotiating contracts and signing these players.

In footballing terms, Keogh is certainly worth more than 20k a week and Carson on his previous season's performances. Other players may very well be worth it on their day but unfortunately consistency seams to plague us. Can't think of many signings in recent years that haven't been considered positive on here yet many players have either not managed to perform or improve to meet our expectations on a regular basis. Only need to scour this forum to see how one week Lawrence,Keogh,Bradley,Carson and the likes are God's and the next week get slaughtered for their efforts.

obviously the fact that we haven't been able to unload some players suggest that other clubs consider their present contracts too generous .But if these players were achieving ,meeting our expectations their contracts would presumably Seam resonable. So did we get screwed over time and time again? Or have we failed to utilise these players correctly in order to maximise their worth both financially and on the pitch.?

Archived