Nick Powell

jimbobram

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who then? 

Marriott was nailed on, but now? Waghorn has had one good game and bits in some, but was a snip at £5m. Holmes? Evans? Malone? easy to say no as yes for them.

Loans have been the best of the lot but bottom line is they do better for their own ambitions than ours, unless we get promoted.

You can't ignore loans because it still involves the staff being able to identify and then land players they think are going to improve a side for a single season - Arguably that's actually more challenging - If you have 3-4 years to get a player to adapt to your system you can take a punt on someone who might turn into a good player whereas a loan you have to know they're going to deliver the good immediately 

It's all opinion - And I think you're a harsher critic than I am - But I'd say:

Good

Waghorn, Marriott, Holmes, Cole, Tomori, Malone, Wilson, Mount

Indifferent

Evans, King, Ambrose

Bad (but have seen flashes of a player in there so probably just needs time)

FloJo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I've seen him play,  which admittedly is only when we play Wigan or on the telly, strikes me as a lot of hype because he was once an up and coming player at Man U, but not much product. Mid table sort of player. Though he has struggled this season with his hamstring, so I might be doing him a disservice. 

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's all opinion - And I think you're a harsher critic than I am - But I'd say:

Good

Waghorn, Marriott, Holmes, Cole, Tomori, Malone, Wilson, Mount

Indifferent

Evans, King, Ambrose

Bad (but have seen flashes of a player in there so probably just needs time)

FloJo

interesting topic, I think there is something about potential rather than just immediate assessment

Good

Marriott, Holmes, Tomori, Wilson, Mount

Likely to be good

Waghorn,  Malone,

Unknown (or temporary)

King, Ambrose, Cole,

Likely to be poor

Evans

Poor 

FloJo, 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

interesting topic, I think there is something about potential rather than just immediate assessment

Good

Likely to be good

Waghorn,  Malone,

Unknown (or temporary)

King, Ambrose, Cole,

Likely to be poor

Evans

Poor 

FloJo, 

I choose to give FloJo and Evans the benefit of the doubt - FloJo has had a couple of very good games when we've played well and a couple of very poor games when we've been poor - That's been the whole attacking unit this season though - Seems they're either all good or all terrible at the same time - With the odd game where Wilson is poop most of the game and then bangs one in from 800 yards ? 

I bloomin' love Marriott but would like to point out:

Marriott - 10 goals, 3 assists - 227 mins per goal - Shots on target 56%

Waghorn - 11 goals, 4 assists - 211 mins per goal - Shots on target 65%

Waggers I feel is being criminally underrated by vast swathes of our fanbase

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I choose to give FloJo and Evans the benefit of the doubt - FloJo has had a couple of very good games when we've played well and a couple of very poor games when we've been poor - That's been the whole attacking unit this season though - Seems they're either all good or all terrible at the same time - With the odd game where Wilson is poop most of the game and then bangs one in from 800 yards ? 

I bloomin' love Marriott but would like to point out:

Marriott - 10 goals, 3 assists - 227 mins per goal - Shots on target 56%

Waghorn - 11 goals, 4 assists - 211 mins per goal - Shots on target 65%

Waggers I feel is being criminally underrated by vast swathes of our fanbase

like you say, just an opinion.  I feel he is not just commanding enough and I am often underwhelmed by him.  We have failed to replace the original version of Chris Martin and before anybody says it the current version is not of the same standard as the original

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

Good

Likely to be good

Waghorn,  Malone,

Unknown (or temporary)

King, Ambrose, Cole,

Likely to be poor

Evans

Poor 

FloJo, 

There’s a bit of a love in rose tinted view of Marriott with a lot of our fans ,, he has a lot to prove and fits the likely to be good group , he has shown a bit of promise but very early days yet indeed given he is not established in the manager and coaches eyes as a must in the 18 let alone 11

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

like you say, just an opinion.  I feel he is not just commanding enough and I am often underwhelmed by him.  We have failed to replace the original version of Chris Martin and before anybody says it the current version is not of the same standard as the original

Yeh, appreciate where you're coming from - But I find the comparison to Martin a little too simple - I think they're very different players - Waggers for me is somewhere in between a Martin and a Marriott - He can do the 'back to goal' hold up play, neat little passes, understanding the flow of the game that Martin has - But he also gets down the channels, can beat a man and has the 'hustle' which Marriott has too - The yards Waggers covers in a game must be high as he's constantly chasing down defenders where Martin was more about finding his own space

I love Martin and always will - Think he's been screwed by a series of managers at the club and I think his form has suffered for it - But I don't think we can directly compare Waghorn to him as they're stylistically different players

FWIW

Excellent - Mount, Tomori

Nearly Excellent - Holmes, Wilson

Good - Marriott, Waghorn,

Fair - Cole, Malone 

Disappointing - FloJo, Evans

Inspired Promotion From Youth - Bogle

I think a good few of the above can show better form in the future too so not a B + rating from me. I still think that George Evans can show he is far better than we've seen too.

As a side note, I've mentioned before that my lad is still in touch with a couple of the Chelski youth team players and Derby are apparently to be offered first dibs on any Chelsea loans (outside the prem assuming we don't secure promotion) as they are delighted with the way Mount and especially Tomori have been handled in their time at the club which bodes well for next season. Frank was obviously favoured to a large degree in any case but he's more than cemented that relationship this season which has to be a big positive. 

Back on thread, I'd think Powell is something of a longshot but would be a great signing for sure if Lamps can charm him into joining us.

I haven’t seen enough of him to make a definitive view, but he’s not shown anything in the games I have seen to make me believe any of the hype that seems to surround him.

He looks like a luxury player who hides when the going gets tough from what I have seen so far...

On 17/04/2019 at 13:48, Archied said:

There’s a bit of a love in rose tinted view of Marriott with a lot of our fans ,, he has a lot to prove and fits the likely to be good group , he has shown a bit of promise but very early days yet indeed given he is not established in the manager and coaches eyes as a must in the 18 let alone 11

Still think we need someone with a bit of height up front, I think Marriott would do well running off a larger forward, we might even score from a corner 

• 2 weeks later...
BuckTaylor64

Commands high wages and not got a good injury record.

Nice to see Evans put in a performance on Saturday!

On 16/04/2019 at 10:05, RamLad1884 said:

At the bottom of a very long list of decent clubs there. Can't see him turning his nose up at any of those clubs for us unless we were a Prem team. 

Get your poiint but probably a bit of DET dartboard journalism going on there as well. Either that or wild speculation as they have cut and pasted some post from 'ITK-Latic' on the Wigan board.

On 18/04/2019 at 23:53, 86 points said:

FWIW

Good - Marriott, Waghorn,

Fair - Cole, Malone 

I agree with almost all of that. I would put Wilson in the excellent category though, as he's won us more points on his own than any other player this season. I know he goes missing a bit but I feel that he's slightly underrated by our fans. He also continues to score even when he's not playing that well.

I'd put Marriott in a category of his own. Good, with the potential to be excellent. To fulfil this potential I reckon he needs a good pre-season. The same could be said of Holmes as well to be fair, who I absolutely love.

On 18/04/2019 at 23:53, 86 points said:

FWIW

Good - Marriott, Waghorn

Fair - Cole, Malone 

Pretty much spot on, but to be fair, at the end of last season a lot were calling for Bogle to be promoted.

Holmes and Waghorn should be graded according to their cost as a bargain and adequate respectively.

Flojo and Evans have so far been pricey squad/utility players, and Ambrose is off the chart.  May as well have kept Pearce. Thorne and Thomas here. Evans could yet turn out to be a gem in the coming game(s).

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Pretty much spot on, but to be fair, at the end of last season a lot were calling for Bogle to be promoted.

Holmes and Waghorn should be graded according to their cost as a bargain and adequate respectively.

Flojo and Evans have so far been pricey squad/utility players, and Ambrose is off the chart.  May as well have kept Pearce. Thorne and Thomas here. Evans could yet turn out to be a gem in the coming game(s).

FloJo vs Thomas - Thomas needs to play games to improve and that was unlikely to happen. FloJo has been a useful (but slightly expensive) squad player.

Evans vs Thorne - Evans is probably on 1/2th of what Thorne is on.

Ambrose vs Pearce - Ambrose is probably earning 1/5th of what Pearce is on

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

FloJo vs Thomas - Thomas needs to play games to improve and that was unlikely to happen. FloJo has been a useful (but slightly expensive) squad player.

Evans vs Thorne - Evans is probably on 1/2th of what Thorne is on.

Ambrose vs Pearce - Ambrose is probably earning 1/5th of what Pearce is on

What fraction is this haha, a halfth? 

Archived