Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DarkFruitsRam7

Bryson

Recommended Posts

I thought his celebration was strange if not misjudged. Most fans would consider him one of their favourite players over recent years, but im sure most would also think that this year hasn't been his best. He runs so much that at 32 maybe he's burnt out, the ball seems to just bounce of him at times . 

Cupping his ears to the north stand after a goal (which was a goalkeeping error) was unsavoury, especially with at most 5 games of his Derby career left. I think some of the more vociferous abuse he receives is obviously unnecessary but fans are entitled to not want him in the team. Bouncing one under the arms of the Bolton keeper hardly now means he's had a good year. 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I thought his celebration was strange if not misjudged. Most fans would consider him one of their favourite players over recent years, but im sure most would also think that this year hasn't been his best. He runs so much that at 32 maybe he's burnt out, the ball seems to just bounce of him at times . 

Cupping his ears to the north stand after a goal (which was a goalkeeping error) was unsavoury, especially with at most 5 games of his Derby career left. I think some of the more vociferous abuse he receives is obviously unnecessary but fans are entitled to not want him in the team. Bouncing one under the arms of the Bolton keeper hardly now means he's had a good year. 

Totally agree with this.

Bryson has been my favourite player since we signed him, I love him, but if you are reading this Craig, you let me down mate.

In the front rows of that North stand, or any stand, there are probably children, lots of kids.  You could make their day, year or life if you just ran and high fived one of them after a goal, or jumped the advertising hoardings and let them swamp you, but instead you make the gesture as if to say 'have that you duckers'.

I'd say at least 90 percent of derby fans still love you and you will forever be a Derby Legend, ignore the boo boys, put in your all until now and the end of the season and leave this club on a high!

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, cannable said:

If, at 32, Bryson doesn’t have a range of passing and doesn’t turn to face up the pitch why would he start now? Just because he’s paid a lot of money? 

I know it won't happen. It should have been something he decided to learn a long time ago, because he's a very limited footballer. The main point I was making is the reason he's getting criticism, is he hasn't played well enough this season. He can give it the fans all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been up to standard, and when Holmes is back fit I'd like to see him slot in because I feel he's the better player.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I know it won't happen. It should have been something he decided to learn a long time ago, because he's a very limited footballer. The main point I was making is the reason he's getting criticism, is he hasn't played well enough this season. He can give it the fans all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been up to standard, and when Holmes is back fit I'd like to see him slot in because I feel he's the better player.

But he’s been played in the linking role all season. It’s not his fault the job he’s been assigned to requires stuff he’s not good at. 

Holmes is better there because he’s good at carrying the ball through the thirds and has a bit of a passing range. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, cannable said:

But he’s been played in the linking role all season. It’s not his fault the job he’s been assigned to requires stuff he’s not good at. 

Holmes is better there because he’s good at carrying the ball through the thirds and has a bit of a passing range. 

Yeah, but he could still have done a better job in that role. His control is largely woeful, his passing is painfully limited, and he generally speaking will always take the negative pass. All this, whilst managing to run around like a headless chicken and rarely put a tackle in. He's a long way past it.

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't the bigger crime being the manager who keeps playing Bryson despite the completely below par performances.

He spent the 75 minutes or so against Blackburn trying to foul the shadows behind the opposition as he couldn't actually get near them.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, but he could still have done a better job in that role. His control is largely woeful, his passing is painfully limited, and he generally speaking will always take the negative pass. All this, whilst managing to run around like a headless chicken and rarely put a tackle in. He's a long way past it.

Just thought I'd check. Tackles per 90 mins:

  1. Lowe - 3
  2. Bogle - 2.6
  3. Wisdom - 2.5
  4. Evans - 2.4
  5. Tomori - 2.3
  6. Malone - 2.2
  7. Bennett - 2
  8. Johnson - 1.8
  9. Forsyth - 1.6
  10. Ledley - 1.6
  11. Huddlestone - 1.6
  12. Wilson - 1.5
  13. Cole - 1.5
  14. Bryson - 1.4
  15. Holmes - 1.4
  16. Lawrence 1.4
  17. Davies - 1.3
  18. Mount - 1.3
  19. Waghorn - 1.3
  20. Nugent - 1
  21. Jozefzoon - 0.8
  22. Keogh - 0.8
  23. Bird - 0.8
  24. Marriott - 0.6
  25. Roos - 0.1
  26. Others - 0

He does however rank 2nd for "dribbled past" with 1.7 per 90. Mount, Wilson and Holmes are all 1.1

 

On an unrelated note, Evans surprisingly ranks high for his defensive contribution compared with our other CMs. Perhaps we've ben a bit harsh when judging him.

  • Tackles - Best (2.4)
  • Dribbled past - Best (0.4)
  • Interceptions - Best (2.4)
  • Fouls - Worst (2.4)
  • Clearances - Best (3.1)
  • Shots Blocked - 3rd (0.4) [Ledley is 2nd]
  • Passes Blocked - Best (2.2) [Holmes is 2nd with 0.9]
  • Aerials Won - 4th (2.2)
  • Aerials won % - 6th (52.4) [Bird and King 100%, Ledley 66.7%, Johnson 64.5%, Huddlestone 56.4%]

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really understand this forum at times - Bryson was brilliant on Saturday doing the exact role he's done so well for years - Providing space, energy and cleaning up after everyone else - Almost every time the ball spun free he was the one picking it up - Exactly the way he scored his goal to be honest - Yet people are complaining about the rest of the season

The entire team was great and he was a big part of that - His constant movement and always being open for a pass meant Wilson, Lawrence and Mount had more room to play and someone in space at almost every opportunity - Plus his hustle meant we regained the ball so many times when a pass didn't quite work out and a defender somehow got a leg to it

I think people seem to forget that Bryson is the ultimate team player - The other guys must LOVE playing with him because he puts in the hard yards to try and make their lives easier - He's not a match winner most weeks but loads of players aren't

Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bogle, Huddlestone - All potential match winners with the way they play - Just because Bryson doesn't do the 'spectacle' stuff doesn't mean he's bad

Share this post


Link to post

I really don't get all this faux outrage at a footballer putting his hands behind his ears when he scores.  Nobody knows why he did it because no one has asked him that I can see or if they have he hasn't answered.  

Perhaps it was because we were quiet (which we were, it was that sort of match); perhaps he had a bit of water in his ears and wanted to hear the cheers better; perhaps he had a bit of an itch; perhaps the players had an agreement that the first one to score waggles their tabs at the crowd; perhaps he just felt like it.

Who knows, who cares? The guy scored for us and we won and I didn't see it because I was too busy hugging young Ilkley. He's been value for money over his time here, has given his all and given us some great moments in our entire history (which not too many have done). If he goes at the end of the season then he will always get a warm welcome back. He's let no one down.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't really understand this forum at times - Bryson was brilliant on Saturday doing the exact role he's done so well for years - Providing space, energy and cleaning up after everyone else - Almost every time the ball spun free he was the one picking it up - Exactly the way he scored his goal to be honest - Yet people are complaining about the rest of the season

The entire team was great and he was a big part of that - His constant movement and always being open for a pass meant Wilson, Lawrence and Mount had more room to play and someone in space at almost every opportunity - Plus his hustle meant we regained the ball so many times when a pass didn't quite work out and a defender somehow got a leg to it

I think people seem to forget that Bryson is the ultimate team player - The other guys must LOVE playing with him because he puts in the hard yards to try and make their lives easier - He's not a match winner most weeks but loads of players aren't

Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn, Bogle, Huddlestone - All potential match winners with the way they play - Just because Bryson doesn't do the 'spectacle' stuff doesn't mean he's bad

It’s because an awful lot of people have a real complex about occasionally admitting they were wrong. This means that when they were wrong, they dig around the goalposts, pick them up and move them until they’re essentially arguing with themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Andicis said:

Bryson himself should know he's been below average this season, instead of gesturing at fans he should look at his own crappy performances and improve his play, he's certainly paid enough. 

 

On 30/01/2019 at 14:50, Andicis said:

Yup, more than happy to dish it out but if a player dares to give any back they cry. Our fans have never warmed to Lawrence for some reason.

What a difference a few months makes.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Anon said:

 

What a difference a few months makes.

I'm not that upset about Bryson gesturing, more his bad performances. If he played fine regularly and wanted to gesture that I'd be okay with it.

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/04/2019 at 10:08, David said:

Do you think this is warranted? Tagging the player to ensure he sees it. 

I would imagine these are the types of comments that players feel the need to cup the ears to.

I’m sure this isn’t the only one, whoever is behind the clubs twitter account will have seen them all, they haven’t posted this over one comment. Clearly there has been a significant amount to cause this reaction.

As fans if we’re prepared to give it, be prepared to take it. 

 

I thought he was just getting the wax out so as to better hear the adoration of the masses 😲

Share this post


Link to post

Has Bryson got anything between his ears? This ‘gesture’ was no both unnecessary and pointless, and only going to alienate fans further. Far better to run over to the fans,  pat some kid on the head and get them onside.

This season has been a season too far for Bryson. First touch has never been great but gets worse as he tires. His passing ability is very average but he has always been able to run all day. Trouble is he now looks half a yard short or half a second late.

Time to go was the end of last season, sadly, and he probably knows it.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a slightly different view of the ear cupping. When he scored I suspect 90 % of the crowd were looking at the "penalty" incident immediately before Bryson, alert and lively, hit the goal. So we didn't really register it, we were still yelling at the Ref. 

Consequently the normal cheer for a goal didn't happen. No wonder he had to listen extra hard by cupping his ear!

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Ive got to say im not a huge Bryson fan but he played well on Saturday. glimpses of the Bryson who played for us in 2014. Getting up the pitch and into the box and working hard for the team to track back. His best game this season IMO.

He wasn't that great - and it was Bolton - but you're right, it's probably his best game for at least 2 years.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.