Predict the play off race

Rammy03

Call me optimistic but here's how I see it...

The race for the play offs is between 4 teams: Villa, Bristol, Middlesbrough and Derby.

Borough have robbed 6 points from us this season and I know we ourselves haven't been great as of recent but personally I think they are crap. 

For me Bristol have come out of nowhere and like us, can be a bit on and off. The game we play against them will be huge but when it comes down to it, I don't think they have it in them. I am tipping Bristol to bottle the play offs and finish seventh.

Aston villa look too good at the moment and are churning out results even when the performances over the course of 90 minutes aren't great. Them beating Bristol play a big part in this so I think they will solidly finish 5th.

We are great at pride park but awful away. I don't know whether this is to do with the timing of the game or the preparation but at Blackburn, we were poo. I'm glad that we knocked 4 past Bolton because now I think the players will wake up, smell the danger and perform. 

Sheffield United will be the unfortunate team to finish 3rd, West Brom 4th, Villa 5th and Derby 6th.

We have played Sheffield United and beat them at home however they have done the same. It will be a tight couple of games but they don't have as much about them as Leeds for example so we will beat them and progress to the play off final. Sliding West Brom will fall even further and lose to villa in their semi final.

That leaves a Derby Vs villa play off final. History will repeat itself and villa will fall at the final hurdle again. Derby go up. 

Right?

Screenshot_20190413-212543~2.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope your right, it's not too likely we will go up but if we can scrape into the play offs who knows? I think we can beat any of the teams in the current top 6 if we are on a game, the problem is our away form has been that bad it will be a great achievement just getting in the play offs.

You’re right it’s between those four teams, but unfortunately I’m not as optimistic as you with how things are going to go. I think unfortunately we’ve left ourselves too much to do and our appalling away form will kill us. Villa will piss it in and I think boros struggles in front of goal will allow brizzle to take that final 6th place. Think whoever finishes third (probably sheff U) will Kane brizzle but villas form will see them beat the stuttering West Brom. Sets up sheff U vs Villa final, of which I think Villas experience will see them up.

Hope I’m wrong but being realistic that’s where I see the season going. FWIW I think we’ll pip boro to 7th but it’ll all be over before the final day aside from that.

Sounds lovely @Rammy03

It's so hard to predict. Villa are nailed on so there's one place to fight for. Boro were on such a pleasing run of defeats but they've just recorded back to back wins so they're in the mix just in time. Bristol City lead but are just as capable as we are of collapsing at any moment. Derby are just Derby. 

If, and it's a massive if, we get into the playoffs, and Sheff Utd finish 3rd then yeah I agree with you, our big names ought to turn up and we should progress to the final. 

Mount v Grealish?

I wouldn't want to call it.

But yeah there's hope.

In reality we havent been great all season,with the exception of half a dozen performances. Consistency  has been poor and improvement since the beginning of the season not evident.

However if we can scramble into the play offs and Leeds gain the autos i think we have a fair chance of obtaining promotion in the play offs.

Beating Bristol city could be the hardest game in achieving promotion and we need to ensure performaces  such as the Blackburn game are a thing of the past.

I would love nothing more than to beat Villa at Wembley. Following the loss to us they lose Grealish, Abraham, El ghazi and  McGinn as they can't afford to keep them. This is a dream scenario and its unlikely to happen but it would be the perfect end to the season. We need to improve our away form though, I fear that's what will trip us up unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Hate to be a mood killer but at the minute I just can’t see us beating Bristol City away. If we played them at home then I’d be feeling a lot different.

We don’t beat them away then no play offs...

If it makes you feel any better, Bristol's away form is the 5th best in the league while their home form is only the 14th best

Though they sit on that home form table between Blackburn and Stoke...

1 minute ago, JfR said:

If it makes you feel any better, Bristol's away form is the 5th best in the league while their home form is only the 14th best

Though they sit on that home form table between Blackburn and Stoke...

A little better...although I think we have to probably get at least 4 points from Birmingham and Swansea away for anything against Bristol City to matter! 

I predicted 8th at the start of the season, and although I am hopeful, I still think that's where we will finish.

Come on, Derby - surprise me.

Maybe Villa will walk it but it'd be grand to be in the mix. For me that'd be a good end to a tricky first season for Frank and Jody and it would give us fans something to look forward to next season after the re-build continues over the summer.

There's always the outside chance of an upset too. We did absolutely dismantle a similar Villa side in terms of their personnel last season and whilst they might be favourites, it's not an impossibility that we could turn them over.

COYR

3 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Call me optimistic but here's how I see it...

The race for the play offs is between 4 teams: Villa, Bristol, Middlesbrough and Derby.

Borough have robbed 6 points from us this season and I know we ourselves haven't been great as of recent but personally I think they are crap. 

For me Bristol have come out of nowhere and like us, can be a bit on and off. The game we play against them will be huge but when it comes down to it, I don't think they have it in them. I am tipping Bristol to bottle the play offs and finish seventh.

Aston villa look too good at the moment and are churning out results even when the performances over the course of 90 minutes aren't great. Them beating Bristol play a big part in this so I think they will solidly finish 5th.

We are great at pride park but awful away. I don't know whether this is to do with the timing of the game or the preparation but at Blackburn, we were poo. I'm glad that we knocked 4 past Bolton because now I think the players will wake up, smell the danger and perform. 

Sheffield United will be the unfortunate team to finish 3rd, West Brom 4th, Villa 5th and Derby 6th.

We have played Sheffield United and beat them at home however they have done the same. It will be a tight couple of games but they don't have as much about them as Leeds for example so we will beat them and progress to the play off final. Sliding West Brom will fall even further and lose to villa in their semi final.

That leaves a Derby Vs villa play off final. History will repeat itself and villa will fall at the final hurdle again. Derby go up. 

Right?

Screenshot_20190413-212543~2.png

I know I’ve had a few tonight but I think Boro have robbed 4points off us. We did get two points off them.

I actually think Friday’s match is the toughest one we have left. Birmingham are very organised defensively and have that physicality we haven’t dealt with away from home all season, and I’m not sure we have the players to deal with it. 

Win it and we’re in great shape, the fans will start to believe we’re going to do it. Draw or Lose, then many fans will say it’s over.

It won’t be over even if we lose. It will require performances at Bristol and Swansea but they are two teams that are made for us given how they set up, we’re more likely to get a Brentford type performance which will give us chances to win.

Bottom line, we need some away performances please!! 

Archived