The Rise of Skywalker

maxjam

On 17/12/2019 at 10:17, ThePrisoner said:

Chapter 6 of the Mandalorian was great. I'm starting to get used to it being more episodic with the arc being slowly done in the background. Two episodes to go and a couple of big things I expect to happen in those last couple.

Just watched episode 7... ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, cannable said:

Last line made me cringe so hard as well.

Yeah I was half cringing and half welling-up (must have been the emotional music!)

I did think it was odd that they called it Rise Of Skywalker when there is barely any Luke in it, so I guess that last line was just to underline the point

I would add that the kids said they really enjoyed it, although they were messing and shifting in their seats at times. 

There is no doubt these last 3 films are much better than the likes of Attack of Clones, but I just can't connect with them. 

I sometimes try to imagine what I would make of them if I hadn't got the love and loyalty from the original franchise and just watched them at the cinema in isolation i.e. I was taking the kids cos they wanted to see them. I have to think I would feel they were a bit of a mess...lots of overly complicated story threads which always culminate in the same way. Not bad but just not something I could care about. 

In short....if you love the films, especially the previous 2 then you will really enjoy it, if you don't then this won't change your mind. 

3 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

I’m a bit lost after the revenge of the sith I have seen the one after but not sure what I have missed after that. Do I need to watch the others before this one?

I would say so if you want to really get into them.

The length of time inbetween meant I was struggling to recall 'who was who' but generally there are lots of the same themes /ideas regurgitated so you will kinda get the drift regardless. 

On 21/12/2019 at 08:49, Van Gritters said:

I’m a bit lost after the revenge of the sith I have seen the one after but not sure what I have missed after that. Do I need to watch the others before this one?

My mate watched the remastered ones in wrong order when they came out again around mid 90s. He was confused why Luke was kissing his sister.

51 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We all enjoyed Rise of Skywalker. Was good fun and wrapped things up nicely. Watching with kids makes them much better, even those darn prequels.

Agree.  

I think a lot of angry Star Wars vets forget that they themselves were kids when the original trilogy came out.  Just because we grew up with Star Wars doesn't mean we own Star Wars, imo you have to watch them through the eyes of your younger self and suspend disbelief a bit.  

Thats why these spin off tv series have the potential to cater for all fans, some can be edgier than others to cater for a more mature audience - the upcoming Cassian Andor series could be good if they explore the darker side of the resistance.

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Agree.  

I think a lot of angry Star Wars vets forget that they themselves were kids when the original trilogy came out.  Just because we grew up with Star Wars doesn't mean we own Star Wars, imo you have to watch them through the eyes of your younger self and suspend disbelief a bit.  

Thats why these spin off tv series have the potential to cater for all fans, some can be edgier than others to cater for a more mature audience - the upcoming Cassian Andor series could be good if they explore the darker side of the resistance.

I read a good comment yesterday that the hardcore moaning Star Wars fans only like 2 of the 11 films!

If you are about 40 like me, you would have adored the first 3 films, tried to be cool by saying the prequels were dire in your 20s (I didn't actually, quite liked them, especially 2 and 3), then perhaps watched the recent ones with kids.

The original 3 weren't exactly critically acclaimed, but that was when huge films were art (Godfather, Deerhunter etc).

The people who analyse things like Star Wars and Marvel to death should probably use their incredible intellects for more important things.

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I read a good comment yesterday that the hardcore moaning Star Wars fans only like 2 of the 11 films!

If you are about 40 like me, you would have adored the first 3 films, tried to be cool by saying the prequels were dire in your 20s (I didn't actually, quite liked them, especially 2 and 3), then perhaps watched the recent ones with kids.

The original 3 weren't exactly critically acclaimed, but that was when huge films were art (Godfather, Deerhunter etc).

The people who analyse things like Star Wars and Marvel to death should probably use their incredible intellects for more important things.

exactly...

when all said and done, it is just a great kids film about space, spaceships, aliens with goodies and baddies.

On 20/12/2019 at 21:55, Chester40 said:

Best of the 3 in the last trilogy.... But still doesn't feel on a par with the first trilogy to me. 

Yes agree but

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

We all enjoyed Rise of Skywalker. Was good fun and wrapped things up nicely. Watching with kids makes them much better, even those darn prequels.

Absolutely loved taking my 2 teenagers today, like my folks took me. It’s best viewed as as a good v evil family movie, years ago it would have been Cowboys v Indians or Allies v Germans, now film land has moved to space with special effects.

Sure there’s a fair dollop of cringe but hey having watched Star Wars since knee high, I just love the whole lot. Even my ids say the original ones were the best but they still enjoyed their pre Christmas movie outing.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it with my daughter and really enjoyed it. Might go again with a mate next week. 

I’m going to have to watch them all back to back at some point. They really did seem to strike episode 8 from the record entirely with this one, so it will be interesting to see how they all fit together in quick succession. 

Just watched rogue one again the other day on tele too. Definitely my favourite of all of them. 

And finished the mandalorian too. Really good series, looking forward to more stuff in that vein on Disney plus. DM me if you want to know the ways of the dark side. 

Sith Happens
14 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Finally saw it last night & actually a bit disappointed.
I just thought everything seemed a bit rushed & it occurred to me this morning it’s like watching someone playing a Star Wars game. 

It was very busy.

I think this was because a lot of what happened should have been set up in the last jedi.

I really enjoyed it and was glad to see so much was fit in however I do feel they could have done a 'Harry Potter/Hunger Games' and split chapter 9 into a part 1 and 2.

There was enough material no doubt cut to do this and could have ended Part 1 with the cliffhanger we didnt get with the previous movie. Hopefully some sort of directors cut will be released which will slow it down a bit.

Archived