The Pursuit For Pereplotkins

HuddersRam

So just over a year ago, I decided that the relative misery of another late-season collapse wasn't enough punishment for me as a Rams fan, and I set in motion the *very* early stages of planning a book about Derby County's last 20 years.

A year later, I'm just about finding the time to get somewhere with it. As part of this, I'm speaking to former players, managers, supporters and anybody else who might have a real story to tell. I've spoken to a number of former players so far (Morten Bisgaard, Paul Peschisolido to name a couple) and am in the process of arranging dates with a lot more. These do not include Andrejs Pereplotkins, despite what the title may suggest. He just has an alliterative name.

Basically, I'm wanting to make this as individual and changing room led as possible. As fans, we all know the frustrations of the last couple of decades (and beyond). So I'm taking it out of our hands as onlookers and going behind the scenes.

I've reached out to players who I think have fascinating stories to tell, but I'd really like to open this up across the fanbase and find out who you'd really like to hear from. Whether that be players or those behind the scenes, if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to shout up. ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raul Albentosa for me. 

How did he forget his insoles, what was it like to be snatched away during an away trip to a La Liga match and spirited to Derby, how were the dressing room and manager with him etc etc.

Why didn't it work out, does he regret it?

Liam Dickinson would be interesting

Robert Earnshaw too

Rob Hulse - we met him once and he told us some interesting things, Ellington was deeply religious and it got in the way of him being a good footballer due to fasting etc. Rob Hulse himself said that whilst he played for Derby he really fell out of love for the game. 

15 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Liam Dickinson would be interesting

Robert Earnshaw too

Rob Hulse - we met him once and he told us some interesting things, Ellington was deeply religious and it got in the way of him being a good footballer due to fasting etc. Rob Hulse himself said that whilst he played for Derby he really fell out of love for the game. 

Explains why he turned down a 4million move I guess.

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Explains why he turned down a 4million move I guess.

He actually said that was true, he was on the coach ready to go to a game or something and we accepted the bid from Boro, he said he was told he was expected to move on but he just didn't want to, he was settled, didn't need the money and wasn't fussed about footy.

He was a really nice bloke though.

He said Savage was a bit of a plonker.

Thanks for all the replies so far you lovely lot. 

Heard a few interesting things from a couple of players and staff around the Three Amigos time already. I'll open questions to the floor if I manage to hunt down Jeremy Keith. 

Claude Davis. As his nickname suggests he always comes up close to the top of any list of Rams players that fans think of as being useless but when he first arrived he came with a half decent reputation.

I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to talk to you about his time with us such was the abuse he used to get but I would love to know what he really felt, what effect it had on him as a human being and off the pitch, how the players/dressing room/manager helped him through it, whether there were times when he just wished he could not play.

I've no time for the 'they're all wealthy footballers, we pay their wages and can give them whatever stick we like' arguments that some fans put forward. Regular readers will know that there's only one Rams player I would ever accuse of not trying; there are loads who have been largely incompetent in our shirt, but every single one of them has done something that I wasn't ever remotely skilled enough to do. And I often think we underestimate the negative effect we can have on their performance and the cumulatively negative impact we can have on their life.

Archived