British Gas Boss Pay Rise

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47850775

British Gas boss receives 44% pay rise. Up to 2.4 million.

While I usually am understanding of the large salaries some top bosses earn, after all they are rarely 'not at work' even when at home or on leave, and usually these jobs come with a significant amount of stress and long hours.

However this does seem somewhat obscene, at a time when a 3% pay rise , if at all, is considered generous. In addition when 4000 employees have been put at risk of losing their jobs, it just doesnt sit well with me.

It makes me wonder who makes the decisions on the pay rises, or is it a self awarded reward?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47850775

British Gas boss receives 44% pay rise. Up to 2.4 million.

While I usually am understanding of the large salaries some top bosses earn, after all they are rarely 'not at work' even when at home or on leave, and usually these jobs come with a significant amount of stress and long hours.

However this does seem somewhat obscene, at a time when a 3% pay rise , if at all, is considered generous. In addition when 4000 employees have been put at risk of losing their jobs, it just doesnt sit well with me.

It makes me wonder who makes the decisions on the pay rises, or is it a self awarded reward?

Ultimately its the large shareholders who are usually big investment funds who pay private pensions to millions and I guess must "ok" pay rises if the company earns money in terms of its profits and share prices. .. Fundamentally there isn't anything wrong with this … BUT 

It ought to work and be self limiting, but it doesn't - I suspect there is a lot of "you ok my rise and I'll ok yours" as so much of the mega business world is inter linked. What is worse to me is that British gas is still effectively a monopoly .. oh yes you can buy your domestic gas from trading companies but it all goes back to the root supply with Transco or whatever BG linked organisation holds the key assets. They will cry their eyes out saying their retail gas margins are paper thin but its all an exercise as they clearly make substantial profits from wholesale trading. I see nothing wrong with a free market .. but  like most of the utilities any claim to competition is a fudge. They are near monopolies.

The regulators of all these industries need to be given sharper teeth .. Teeth that insist on investment in large scale long term infrastructure .. The water co's are a laugh .. they haven't built a major reservoir for years and their pipes leak like sieves but they cheerfully tell us to all sorts of handy ways to reduce our consumption.  

Sith Happens
46 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Clickbait headline!

OK, he may have gone up from £1.7m to £2.4m, but the year before that, he earned £4m.  Where were the headlines then, eh?

Poor bloke's practically on his knees after the last two years!  :-)

Maybe we should start a gofundme page for him.?

It’s a funny world. I don’t begrudge anyone a shed load of money. Great stuff, good for you .. enjoy .. I know I would 

I do get grumpy about certain industries public and private that are near enough monopolies, where your customers come to you .. be it the NHS or the railways.

in essence you are an organiser, a policy maker ... you don’t have to create to get someone to “buy” your product or have a huge issue making sure you get paid. Senior level jobs in these industries are in many cases over rewarded. Take local council CEO’s it’s a merry go round of golden good byes and golden hellos all with gold plated pensions for juggling the status quo. These folk earn more in say 5 years than a highly skilled technical  Joe or Joellene  will earn in a life time and have a state underwritten pension as well. They aren’t that special. 

54 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s a funny world. I don’t begrudge anyone a shed load of money. Great stuff, good for you .. enjoy .. I know I would 

I do get grumpy about certain industries public and private that are near enough monopolies, where your customers come to you .. be it the NHS or the railways.

in essence you are an organiser, a policy maker ... you don’t have to create to get someone to “buy” your product or have a huge issue making sure you get paid. Senior level jobs in these industries are in many cases over rewarded. Take local council CEO’s it’s a merry go round of golden good byes and golden hellos all with gold plated pensions for juggling the status quo. These folk earn more in say 5 years than a highly skilled technical  Joe or Joellene  will earn in a life time and have a state underwritten pension as well. They aren’t that special. 

Spot on about the local councils.

How many are removed from post/retire/resign with a nice pension contribution etc, only to turn up at a different council a few months later, and keep sticking their trout's in the snough?

10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Spot on about the local councils.

How many are removed from post/retire/resign with a nice pension contribution etc, only to turn up at a different council a few months later, and keep sticking their trout's in the snough?

When you type something, knowing something's not quite right but can't put your finger on it!

5 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Think of the tax he pays though , sucker ?

This is a very good point ! Despite left wing moaning we actually have a very fair and distributive tax system. The only gripe is its enforcement and open the loopholes used by too many to avoid tax legally - I mean the fundamental spirit of our tax law is just and fair, but the mechanics of making that law "fiddle proof" have not (and probably never will ) been solved.

Archived