Blackburn Rovers v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

24 minutes ago, Pottig said:

Does Frank really expect us to believe that leaving Marriott out of the squad was a tactical choice?

Depends how you read the word tactical ie tactical in a one off game where you want your best 18 in the squad? Or is it  tactical in that you take a player out of the firing line who has struggled with the championship (not in terms of goals but physicality and contribution to the side possibly) to help get his head right in the long term rather than keep throwing him in to watch him struggle and eventually lose confidence?

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It's his ability to succeed as a championship manager that concern's me .   Very similar situation to Lee Johnson at Bristol city .   He will sink or swim next year .   At the minute he's blowing up the flotation aids. 

It's similar in terms of the fact they are both human beings and manage football teams. I think other than that it's pure conjecture. 

5 minutes ago, KCG said:

Obviously nowt at all to do with Frank, he's just the manager after all.

I don't think anyone's said he's had 'nothing' to do with it, just that some big players who take a lot of praise need to take some of the blame on the chin too. Pretty sure Frank didn't tell Wilson to not pass to a team mate all night, nor tell Mount to lose the ball in every situation where a simple pass was on, Waggy to not hold the ball up, Lawrence to not aim for Preston's stadium with free kicks, Roos to flap at every cross...

You get my point.

Maybe he shouldn't have thrown in Bryson but apart from that, it's the same team pretty much who have been playing better of late. He didn't change anything drastic enough for a performance level drop of that magnitude to be blames for IMO. 

Well I watched the first half at my folks for free on the Sky Red Button. I had the pleasure of not chasing around the local public houses trying to get the Rams on one of the screens whilst distracting and upsetting folk wanting to watch Liverpool, Spurs, Man City etc in the Champions League. 

So there I am watching a Derby team playing a Blackburn team without David Speedie, Mike Newall, Alan Shearer, Colin Hendry etc, etc, a team playing in an empty ground, in 16th place without anything really, a team that looked devoid of anything, unless Derby gave it to them or allowed them to cross the ball in, nothing much at all, a team that looked very ready for the taking. 

Then 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 mins and so on mins of nothing football soon passed, where Derby played from the back and created their own problems once again and some players opted to run around and get nowhere near the ball, and I wondered whilst Bristol City were 3-0 up, where our desire, spark, hunger, will to win, will to realy get a hold of it in midfield, set the tempo, grab the game by the scruff of the neck, want to make things happen, all of such seemed to be hiding very well once again.

I was quite comfortable on the sofa and I thought I was achieving more than our midfield were, and I was wanting the ball more, and wanting to attack more than our players were. Blackburn were allowed to grow into the game and our passing and decision making and lack of desire and work ethic to achieve anything more than a draw, soon brought us all to half time, in a soulless, dour, game of what looked like two mid table championship teams going through the motions for a pointless mid week game.

Then came the most positive moment of the evening, my mother was recording two programmes at the same time on Sky, so the football had to go off. And I was left with a mad dash 15 minute drive home, and the decision of either chasing around the local pubs or wasting another £10 on Rams TV to watch the second half and more of the painful football I've watched Derby County play over the years. My heart usually wins every time, but on this occasion, I could see what was going to happen, and for a change, I opted to use my head and keep the £10, chill out with my kids and to stick the second half of the Spurs v Man City game on in the background, without even checking the BBC Football website, this forum or anything else for updates etc. 

My eldest lad was heading to bed and was checking his electrical gadget for his latest score of the Liverpool game, and then he had the great delight of shouting out "Dad, do you want to know the latest score of the Derby game?"........my reply....."only if we are winning son, which I think is very doubtful"...........his reply whilst grinning and smirking....."oh I can't tell you then, oh I suppose I can, Blackburn are winning 1-0......oh another goal.........Blackburn are winning 2-0"...........

Thanks Mum.

25 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Alright for you lot..... I’ve just got stuck in a hotel lift for 20 minutes and the fire brigade have just come out to save me. 

Been there fella .  Twice in fact  .  First time three hours in a metal  lift in Majorca where it was that hot I thought I may have to drink my own piss.  Second time in a Newcastle hotel after the Sunderland away 06/07.  Someone puked in it and another bloke who weighed about twenty stone freaked out and started kicking crap out of the door.  Surprisingly, I now use stair's if available.

8 minutes ago, KCG said:

Obviously nowt at all to do with Frank, he's just the manager after all.

Are we saying that none of it is Frank's fault? Of course we aren't. All we're saying is that it cannot possibly be all Frank's fault for the lack of tempo, movement etc from tonight after seeing what happened in the previous 2 games, where all that was seen and in an abundance.

Sometimes you can say that a manager's tactics were the sole direct cause of a poor performance, but tonight I don't think that was entirely the case, although, as I've already said, his decision to start Bryson did contribute quite a lot to the poor performance imo, but was not in any way the sole reason.

I think its just 2 mid-week wins in the last 7 months.

For some reason, this team can't seem to perform sat- wed - sat 

A very disappointing result and performance,  the thing that worries me most is not missing out on top 6 as we are nowhere near good enough to go up anyway. Next season could be a real struggle and possibly a bottom half finish if we don't spend very wisely in the summer and completely reshape the squad on a budget, if we loose out on the likes of Mount and Wilson whilst not bringing in much quality things won't be looking too good. Hopefully for once we spend very wisely and can find some hidden gems from lower or foreign leagues, but I don't hold too much hope based on recent evidence of mostly poor or overpriced signings.

36 minutes ago, Pottig said:

Does Frank really expect us to believe that leaving Marriott out of the squad was a tactical choice?

If it's because of a fallout or something to do with Jack's attitude recently, then he can't really say as much, can he? Even if a player is kissing you right off, you can't hang him out to dry if you have a sense it'll blow over. If he claims his electric gate is broken then that's the exception to the rule! You have to protect your players even if that means you end up on the receiving end yourself. 

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

It's similar in terms of the fact they are both human beings and manage football teams. I think other than that it's pure conjecture. 

Why?  Lee Johnson went straight from player to manager at a championship club .  City did very well in the league and beat premier league sides including Man Utd in the cup. Then they went tits up last ten games of the season.  Back in the play off picture this year having spent little .  Clearly a lot more than conjecture .

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

If it's because of a fallout or something to do with Jack's attitude recently, then he can't really say as much, can he? Even if a player is kissing you right off, you can't hang him out to dry if you have a sense it'll blow over. If he claims his electric gate is broken then that's the exception to the rule! You have to protect your players even if that means you end up on the receiving end yourself. 

Is that what Frank does though? He makes a rod for his own back by only wanting to talk about players he's 'picked'. He swaps players at the drop of a hat, yet expects consistency. ETC...

16 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Are you in Spain ? I hear they have two famous twin brother firefighters HoseA and HoseB.

Just a shi@e joke to match our performance.?

In comparison to our performance tonight. This joke should be the winner of the Edinburgh festival joke of the year.

Well that was a very poor and toothless display. What happened to the team that scored 9 goals in two games? They definitely did a job on us by stopping us playing out from the back and wanting that 2nd ball more. Hard to pick anyone out for praise from that performance. If I had to pick anybody then it would have to be Bogle. At least he didn't hide unlike some of his senior team mates. Gonna have to do some hiding myself at work. I'll have a baying mob of Roverites after my blood for the rest of the week. Have a save journey home all you dedicated fellow Rams that made the trip.

Few things from me and not just based on tonight at all.

Roos - Has come in and done well. Can't deny that. Not at fault for any goal tonight. But if anyone can possibly think he's a better keeper than Carson then well I give up. 

Marriott wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference to that scoreline tonight. But how he doesn't get on the bench over Nugent & Bennett us absolutely staggering. Nugent more so. He's finished and won't be here next season. 

Bryson & Johnson. Everytime they have played together this season it's been bad. Really bad. Huddlestone is a better player than both of them put together. Neither of them will be here next season. Why bother with them? Our best performances this season have come with a midfield of Huddlestone, Mount and Wilson and the 3 in front of Lawrence, Waghorn and Marriott. Yet we've never gone back to it. Find it bizarre.

We're an absolute country mile off being a play off side and the fact we've not won away this year and are still in touch with the top 6 just shows how poor this league is. Absolutely no point in getting in the top 6. Because Leeds or Sheffield United would have a field day against us.

Roos (Might not be here)

Bogle (Highly unlikely to be here. Cos if we have to sell someone he's top of the list in terms of what we could get)

Tomori (Not here next season)

Keogh (He'll retire here. We should get rid but we never will)

Cole (Won't be here)

Johnson (Won't be here)

Bryson (Won't be here)

Mount (Won't be here)

Wilson (Won't be here)

Lawrence (Probably will be but another one that could fetch money)

Waghorn (Will be here)

Of the 11 that started tonight. 6 definitely will not be here next season. 

Include Nugent and 7 out the 18 will be gone and possibly 8 because I'll be amazed if Bogle is here. 

Almost 50% of that squad tonight won't be here next season.

Recruitment is going to be absolutely huge for next season. 

11 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Are we saying that none of it is Frank's fault? Of course we aren't. All we're saying is that it cannot possibly be all Frank's fault for the lack of tempo, movement etc from tonight after seeing what happened in the previous 2 games, where all that was seen and in an abundance.

Sometimes you can say that a manager's tactics were the sole direct cause of a poor performance, but tonight I don't think that was entirely the case, although, as I've already said, his decision to start Bryson did contribute quite a lot to the poor performance imo, but was not in any way the sole reason.

Keeps Chatting Guff isn't really interested in any reasoned arguments on this score. Manager #8 in 6 years (or whatever the number is now) is the only way forward to his rather limited way of thinking. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is that what Frank does though? He makes a rod for his own back by only wanting to talk about players he's 'picked'. He swaps players at the drop of a hat, yet expects consistency. ETC...

My post is specific to Marriott

Archived