Jack Marriott

i-Ram

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Bit tricky that between Leeds and Wembley.  He might be one of those who needs a full pre season and we didn't have that luxury with our final fixtures. 

Yeah, I meant he should have played to get fit sooner - I know this is guessing but FL did seem to be trying to prove a point by picking Nugent instead of Marriott. 

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, eve1112 said:

Don’t understand the 75k bit Is that for every goal Jack scores  or for every goal above a certain number  ? And If so is this a normal clause  to have in a contract these days ?  Another question  does it carry on for the rest of Jacks contract just seems to me (with FFP in mind)  a lot of money to  pay per goal

Posh Chairman has explained on Twitter - its' £75k per 10 league/playoff goals

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I meant he should have played to get fit sooner - I know this is guessing but FL did seem to be trying to prove a point by picking Nugent instead of Marriott. 

And he possibly was - having set himself up somewhat by emphasising what players did in training..

Marriott didn't start for a while and I wondered if that was why.

Hope Marriott comes through next season. ??

43 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

You have to be completely single minded to maintain peak fitness. 

For the money that professional footballers are on, maintaining peak fitness is the minimum that I'd expect, particularly before an international tournament. People would give absolutely anything to be in their position.

I do sometimes wonder how hard footballers work compared to Olympic athletes. 

17 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

For the money that professional footballers are on, maintaining peak fitness is the minimum that I'd expect, particularly before an international tournament. People would give absolutely anything to be in their position.

I do sometimes wonder how hard footballers work compared to Olympic athletes. 

I sort of agree except it is important to recognise that they are human and prone to weaknesses and lapses like all of us. For me it’s about whether there is a habit.

i am boringly responsible 99% of the time but you know, sometimes there’s a point when something gives. 

On 11/04/2019 at 11:32, McLovin said:

All this about Marriott’s attitude is simply hearsay. When he first came here he said in one of his first interviews that he  watches Agueros clips  because they are in similar in height and stature and he likes to improve himself to be the best he can. A typical arrogant footballer wouldn’t be humble enough to admit that. All we have to go off is that he was left out of the squad due to tactical reasons. Just because Nugent runs around a bit in training and shows a bit of ‘fire’ by going around calling opposition players poo, doesn’t mean he deserves to play. In no way shape or form are Bryson or Nugent more deserving of being in the squad than Marriott if we assess their quality. You could Bennett deserves his spot because he can play in more than one position, but even then he is nowhere near as good as Marriott. If Lampard just came out and said that Marriott isn’t trying as hard in training then there is more room for him to be forgiven and fans would be more understanding, but saying he was left out due to tactical reasons leaves room for all this speculation because we all know it’s balls.

Criticising players in public DOES NOT go down well on here at all. Even semi criticising them gets the manager accused of poor man management.

I'm also really enjoying reading the thread, there are many more who think they know better than even i suspected. Only in football can total novices convince themselves they're absolute experts.

I've got to page 12 and managed to bite my tongue but seeing you say he should come out and tell the fans Jack isn't trying is the same kind of logic as the bloke who lied when he said he'd have preferred to have lost the final 7-0 while having a real go.

You lot change your mind and your argument to suit any angle that fits whoever you want to have a go at next.

Incidentally I saw Jody Morris's tweet about reading what the fans think of the season and Frank tactical naivety. I hope he's laughing his balls off.

He must be gutted to see people turning against his mate so quickly.

Fickle fickle football fans.

I hope I can bite my tongue for the rest of the thread.

Congrats to @Archied for pointing out some brilliant things around just what can be measured player performance wise these days. A fact missed by a lot.

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think Darragh MacAnthony is a bit classless, commenting on a manager's tactics like that. 

Not to mention blabbing about confidential clauses in a contract to some random fan on twitter.

If I was a chairman of another club I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Or I'd make him sign and NDA to get him to keep his big gob shut.

Having said that, Peterboro have a history of Chairmen who do weird things. You only need to look at Barry Fry and his "big ron manager" experiment where he made his own manager quit when he picked the team for a crucial game after telling his manager he didn't know what he was doing.

He somehow justified it and was surprised when the lad walked out of the team talk Fry was giving in his place.

Car crash of a club ran by a car crash of a chairman.

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I always figured that decision was because we were previously playing well with Waghorn holding the ball up, Nugent is usually better at holding the ball up than Marriott so FL wanted him as a like for like replacement. He kinda forgot Nuge isn't half the player he was and as a result Cooper had him in his pocket seemingly without breaking a sweat. I guess it was more to do with Marriott's fitness too.

But it was moving away from 4-3-3 in the second leg that really allowed Marriott to shine. I'd love to see us use that 4-4-2 diamond more next season with Waghorn and Marriott up top, that could be lethal.

11 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I always figured that decision was because we were previously playing well with Waghorn holding the ball up, Nugent is usually better at holding the ball up than Marriott so FL wanted him as a like for like replacement. He kinda forgot Nuge isn't half the player he was and as a result Cooper had him in his pocket seemingly without breaking a sweat. I guess it was more to do with Marriott's fitness too.

But it was moving away from 4-3-3 in the second leg that really allowed Marriott to shine. I'd love to see us use that 4-4-2 diamond more next season with Waghorn and Marriott up top, that could be lethal.

Me too but I think it depends on having the right midfield to really make it work and I think that’s the area we have been makeshift in this season , hudds is not mobile and energetic enough and though Bradley has done well in spells he has been playing a role that is not his natural position 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Me too but I think it depends on having the right midfield to really make it work and I think that’s the area we have been makeshift in this season , hudds is not mobile and energetic enough and though Bradley has done well in spells he has been playing a role that is not his natural position 

Makeshift is precisely the right word for it.

At the beginning of the season, the two midfielders ahead of Ledley - who had never proven himself as the single pivot ahead of the back four - were Mount and Bryson. There was no one obvious to rotate with them, despite demanding a high-press in a gruelling 46 game season. It stood to reason that Mount and Bryson wouldn’t always be fit and when the former was out for a spell, our form took a real dip.

Ledley was both unfit physically and unfit for purpose. This left us with Huddlestone and Johnson. We set up smartly in a way which hid many of their limitations, but neither is an ideal candidate for the role. A contemporary version of Thorne or Mascarell would be perfect.

I think Lampard’s got a lot of thinking to do this summer. His signings were very successful in the short-term, but the majority of the investment so far has been top heavy, with his big permanent acquisitions both being forwards. We need another CDM, replacements for Mount, Bryson and potentially another more attacking midfielder for the busy periods.

To bring it back, Marriott had his best form with a fully fit Bryson and Mount behind him and a boisterous Waghorn out wide. In that spell, we didn’t create many chances; we just took them very well.

At the end of the season, Waghorn hit form and some of the key players in Marriott’s spell were either out injured or playing a different role. That, combined with his lessened fitness, explains why he never properly got back in the team in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

At the end of the season, Waghorn hit form and some of the key players in Marriott’s spell were either out injured or playing a different role. That, combined with his lessened fitness, explains why he never properly got back in the team in my opinion. 

Except as soon as he did he scored.

9 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Jack is the most clinical striker we’ve had in a long long time. I don’t care if he doesn’t give his all in training, when he gets on the pitch he gives everything. He needs to be up front every week 

Can’t be done ,, you allow one player no matter how good to cut corners in training and the whole house starts to crumble ,maybe no right away but it does 100% crumble , you get players who aren’t as good but think they are as good believing they shouldn’t have to put 100% in too 

sorry but you are wrong and for the life of me I can’t understand how after the few years we’ve been through with constant rumours of player power ,bad apples , players going above the manager to complain any Derby fan would want to change the work ethic and team spirit frank has brought back , 

this whole Marriott poor trainer thing may be exaggerated and or something that frank and Marriott can put easily right with a full pre season and my guess is just that but if it’s not and Marriott is not prepared to match the rest of the squad in terms of work rate commitment and attitude then he is not for us , cash in and move on

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Except as soon as he did he scored.

Yes and he scored a very well taken goal at Leeds too. Your point is?

If your point is that he scored and it’s proof that he is fully fit and that he would be banging them in is playing, then I have to disagree. 

He came on at a time in the match which suited attacking play and in both he could chase down what he pleased, knowing he had less than an hour on the pitch. Against Leeds in particular, the space opening up suited him a treat.

Marriott was sacked at Ipswich for being unfit.   He wasn't match fit at the start of the season, hence he never started until Oldham away and then still never started in League.  He was ill at Xmas and then did not look fit for sometime.

I would hazard a guess Frank want him to train harder so he can get fitter and start games and not slowdown.

Marriott is a great goal scorer, no doubt and if totally match for and scoring I am sure Frank would pick him and build a formation to suit him.  

I certainly trust Frank's judgement, it's hard for any manager to not start a goal scorers who is in form.  So we can spedualate on the reasons, but all we definitely know is Frank preferred Nugent and Bennett in out last three games. 

Archived