Grand National 2019

Day

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

Is it a good day out?

I've been a couple of times recently to Uttoxeter and to Cheltenham. Not being into the racing itself it's a lot of standing about, waiting to see if you've lost money or not. In general admission the food is expensive and only a slight increase in quality to a football match, the beers are ludicrously priced and there's the problem of being surrounded by people. Some are fine, but it's mostly a mix of lads charged up like Scarface, even more annoying ladettes on hen-parties drunk out their minds and well-to-do but extremely smug people in brightly coloured corduroy trousers. It also goes on for ages and it's hard to find a seat anyehere.

If you went in hospitality and the racing was more of a sideshow to a meal or something I reckon it would be good though.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/04/2019 at 12:13, Malagaram said:

Can't see anything other than Tiger Roll,he can emulate the great Red Rum and win consecutive Nationals

Apparently the owner(him of Ryanair fame,Mr O'leary) is keen to win the cross country chase at Cheltenham in March 2020,so this is the race he will be trained for,not the 2020 National.He did win this race this year

18 hours ago, Boycie said:

The missus opened an account at William Hill with 10 minutes to go before the race started.

She was just visiting a friend down the road who asked if she’d put a bet on the Grand National, She put a fiver on the winner.

My gob has never been so smacked! Then she withdrew the winnings and carried on as normal.

Did anyone else win? First double winner since Red Rum apparently, can’t believe how carried away we got watching the horses on the tv.

Is it a good day out?

Been up Aintree 4 or 5 times now (was there Thursday), always great fun.

13 hours ago, Boycie said:

How much do you pay to get in?

Think it's only £20-30 for the Thursday, be more for Ladies Day and the actual Grand National day, but still won't be that much more. I have to admit that I get tickets through work, but I have been to Doncaster before and paid.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Think it's only £20-30 for the Thursday, be more for Ladies Day and the actual Grand National day, but still won't be that much more. I have to admit that I get tickets through work, but I have been to Doncaster before and paid.

Looked loads there on Saturday 

35 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Looked loads there on Saturday 

Very expensive when you're there, food is about a 10er for most things, and I was lucky to get 5 pints free from work but i paid £5.60 for 3 more!

Archived