Bolton

Day

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, Needless said:

Maybe, but if a principled stance costs the club it's existance and everyone working there their livelihood? Pyrrhic victory. 

Will players and staff turning out for nil money just to fulfil the final fixtures really prevent it?

Surely if the club is that close to going under then it wont make a jot of difference if the games get played or not.

Have the EFL or anyone stated that they have to play the final two games or go out of business?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well as none of them are Bolton fans, then yes, if that's what it comes to.

I would guess you wouldn't turn up to your place of employment to work for free, potentially risking your ability to earn in the future through your own health, just to stop them from going bankrupt would you? This isn't any different just because it's a sports team that has fans.

If my employer needed 4 hours of my time, for free, in order to have a fighting chance of staying in business and helping my mates (and maybe me) continue to have a workplace to go to then yes, in a heartbeat. Why is that even a question to you? You'd let your employer fold in that circumstance? 

They're insured, by the way.

Also, this isn't an ordinary workplace. There are tens of thousand of people who'd be heartbroken if it folds. I'd give half a day to help prevent tens of thousands of people avoid that, even if it wasn't my employer. You wouldn't? Astonishing.

8 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Who's fault was it?

Not angry per se. Just had enough of clubs spending what they don't have.

It's about time a stop was put to it. Why not Bolton?

Why Bolton? How will them folding make one iota of difference to any other club?

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Will players and staff turning out for nil money just to fulfil the final fixtures really prevent it?

Surely if the club is that close to going under then it wont make a jot of difference if the games get played or not.

Have the EFL or anyone stated that they have to play the final two games or go out of business?

If they don't complete their fixtures, as I understand it, they'll be expelled from the league. It has been mooted (hence the IF) that this would be the end for them. If they can limp through to the end of the season then they get at least a couple of months to try to find a solution.

Sith Happens
Just now, Needless said:

If my employer needed 4 hours of my time, for free, in order to have a fighting chance of staying in business and helping my mates (and maybe me) continue to have a workplace to go to then yes, in a heartbeat. Why is that even a question to you? You'd let your employer fold in that circumstance? 

They're insured, by the way.

Also, this isn't an ordinary workplace. There are tens of thousand of people who'd be heartbroken if it folds. I'd give half a day to help prevent tens of thousands of people avoid that, even if it wasn't my employer. You wouldn't? Astonishing.

But they haven't been paid for 2 months? How long would you continue going into work for having not been paid? It takes more than 11 footballers 4 hours work to put a match on, home or away. I doubt football stadiums and their offices sit empty Saturday from 6pm through to the following saturday at around 1 pm.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Needless said:

If they don't complete their fixtures, as I understand it, they'll be expelled from the league. It has been mooted (hence the IF) that this would be the end for them. If they can limp through to the end of the season then they get at least a couple of months to try to find a solution.

I dont want them to be expelled, but i don't see pointing the finger at the players and staff who havent been paid as being responsible for it. Surely its the owners who are.

If the players had done this as a knee jerk reaction the first time it happened i would have agreed with you, but this has been ongoing now for ages.

5 minutes ago, Needless said:

Why Bolton? How will them folding make one iota of difference to any other club?

I don't care if it's Bolton, Burton Albion or any other club.

They've broken the rules for too long. If they don't get the book thrown at them then it really is open season.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

But they haven't been paid for 2 months? How long would you continue going into work for having not been paid? It takes more than 11 footballers 4 hours work to put a match on, home or away. I doubt football stadiums and their offices sit empty Saturday from 6pm through to the following saturday at around 1 pm.

I get all that Paul.

The players and staff have gone above and beyond, no-one's denying it.

It's an awful situation brought on by incompetent administration at the EFL enabling shysters to destroy football clubs. I just want pain directed that way, not at the people I've got most sympathy for in all this...the Bolton fans. You'll be old enough to recall Stuart Webb finalising a deal with HMRC in the gents at the high court to keep us from going bust. I can still feel the despair and helplessness of those days now, nearly 40 years on.

If anyone is in a position to help them, I think they should. It's unfair, it's scandalous, but the first thing Bolton need is for the players and staff to make 2 more games happen. May not be enough, of course.

6 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I don't care if it's Bolton, Burton Albion or any other club.

They've broken the rules for too long. If they don't get the book thrown at them then it really is open season.

Even if they do get the book thrown at them, it's still open season until the ownership and spending rules are changed dramatically for the better.

On 27/04/2019 at 22:09, ronnieronalde said:

They effectively cheated us out of a place in the Championship

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment - Last season they payed the players and worked within the margins - They gained more points than Burton - And I'm pretty sure you took 6 points off them

33 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Not angry per se. Just had enough of clubs spending what they don't have.

By the same balance - We're not allowed to spend the money we DO have!

FFP and the regulations set out by the football authorities are designed to protect the FANS from things like the Portsmouth debacle - Are you saying the fans of Bolton Wanderers should suffer because the football league have either a) failed to regulate this guy or b) their chairman has let them down?

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment - Last season they payed the players and worked within the margins - They gained more points than Burton - And I'm pretty sure you took 6 points off them

By the same balance - We're not allowed to spend the money we DO have!

FFP and the regulations set out by the football authorities are designed to protect the FANS from things like the Portsmouth debacle - Are you saying the fans of Bolton Wanderers should suffer because the football league have either a) failed to regulate this guy or b) their chairman has let them down?

I'm saying Bolton Wanderers football club should be playing at a level they can afford to operate at.

If that means the fans having a couple of seasons of playing non league and winning games everywhere they go, then yes. Suspend them.

I'm sure there are kids all over Bolton and the North West who would dream of pulling on the shirt. 

Make them start again, rebuild it on an affordable level. Stop cheating.

11 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

If, and it seems a big if at the moment, Bolton's results were removed from the record as part of the sanctions the EFL may apply then I think we would lose 3 points but Villa and Boro would lose 6 points each. So a draw tomorrow secures play-offs and a win puts us level with Villa going into the final day.

11 hours ago, Srg said:

Works the other way, you all get given wins as far as I'm aware. We would be 3 points ahead of Boro if it were to happen.

No way to succeed though is it? I can't say that I'd be filled with pride if that was the way we made the playoffs.

Two updates on Bolton over the last few days:

Bassini's bid to takeover the club is now off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48140125

and their game against Brentford won't take place and has been given as a 1-0 walkover win to the other side

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48151016

With those two stories and the fact that Bolton are in court again on the 8th of May, I think the league must be thinking it's quite likely that they will go under and want the loose-ends of their season wrapping up. I worry this could make things more awkward though, because if we were to not do enough on Sunday to get into the playoffs and Bolton were to be liquidated on Wednesday, I wouldn't be surprised to see us put some sort of complaint in on the basis that if Bolton's games were chalked off we would have enough points to get in the playoffs, and that because Bolton won't have fulfilled all their fixtures and will have gone under before the season's end, the EFL should allow us in. Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

22 minutes ago, JfR said:

Two updates on Bolton over the last few days:

Bassini's bid to takeover the club is now off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48140125

and their game against Brentford won't take place and has been given as a 1-0 walkover win to the other side

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48151016

With those two stories and the fact that Bolton are in court again on the 8th of May, I think the league must be thinking it's quite likely that they will go under and want the loose-ends of their season wrapping up. I worry this could make things more awkward though, because if we were to not do enough on Sunday to get into the playoffs and Bolton were to be liquidated on Wednesday, I wouldn't be surprised to see us put some sort of complaint in on the basis that if Bolton's games were chalked off we would have enough points to get in the playoffs, and that because Bolton won't have fulfilled all their fixtures and will have gone under before the season's end, the EFL should allow us in. Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

Reading that article does imply that the EFL rues have not been properly thought through at all in this scenario.

Bolton now guilty of "misconduct" and so the EFL will investigate. What a waste of time that sounds. And some sort of pointless sanction may very well ensue whilst the real issue is not addressed. 

Sorry for the Trotters fans that the uncertainty will continue.......

That leap frogs Brentford with those 3 points from 15th to 12th. Not sure how I would feel as a Hull, Preston and Blackburn supporter? Without kicking a ball they go up 3 places.

I bet one of those 3 teams dropped points vs Bolton this season. Doesn't seem fair to me.

5 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

That leap frogs Brentford with those 3 points from 15th to 12th. Not sure how I would feel as a Hull, Preston and Blackburn supporter? Without kicking a ball they go up 3 places.

I bet one of those 3 teams dropped points vs Bolton this season. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Yep, Preston got 4 points from 6 from them. It's also not that likely Brentford would have beaten Bolton in a real game, this walkover win is only their third win away from home this season. I get why the league's done it, but it's a bit of a shambolic situation and I can't see this passing without some backlash. 

This is just so wrong - how can one club be given 3 points because they (by chance) were due to play Bolton on the day their players refused to turn out? - either all the fixtures need to be played, or all the results chalked off - the League have left themselves wide open to finding themselves in court trying to explain why Hull, Preston and Blackburn have potentially got less prize money than they were due because of an arbritrary decision to award Brentford points they didn't earn.....

Archived