Bolton

David

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Phil Gartside dying in 2016 is protecting his role in all this. Nobody want to speak ill of the dead (except Maxwell) for doing damage to football clubs, but Bolton were chancing things more than Portsmouth ever were!

Though, much though it pains me to say so, Maxwell (and Stuart Webb) saved us from a very similar fate only a few long years ago.

And it's only Mel's largesse that is stopping other fans of other clubs from saying similar about us now, lest we forget.

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

just goes to show the excitement and heartache of being a football fan , today we have the buzz of taking on our local rivals in the cup , and Bolton fans today dont even know if they will ever see another game , i truly hope this famous old club gets saved

They were hardly kicking at the gates to get in on Saturday, despite the potential historical aspect of the game, should it prove to be their last.

One last hoorah from their fans?... nah, it seems they couldn't be bothered!  

30 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

They were hardly kicking at the gates to get in on Saturday, despite the potential historical aspect of the game, should it prove to be their last.

I doubt our fan base would be any different.  Christ, our gates are down despite not finishing outside the top ten since Nigel left, 4 play off runs, and 2 trips to Wembley.  It's not the hope that kills you, it's the apathy...

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Phil Gartside dying in 2016 is protecting his role in all this. Nobody want to speak ill of the dead (except Maxwell) for doing damage to football clubs, but Bolton were chancing things more than Portsmouth ever were!

Gartside's problem was picking a decent manager.  Out of all of them who followed Allardyce, only Owen Coyle & Neil Lennon were (considered at the time to be) good appointments, and even those turned out to be flops, Coyle especially...

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I doubt our fan base would be any different.  Christ, our gates are down despite not finishing outside the top ten since Nigel left, 4 play off runs, and 2 trips to Wembley.  It's not the hope that kills you, it's the apathy...

Gartside's problem was picking a decent manager.  Out of all of them who followed Allardyce, only Owen Coyle & Neil Lennon were (considered at the time to be) good appointments, and even those turned out to be flops, Coyle especially...

Gartside was also one of the buffoons that wanted to close of the Premier League in to a two tier system and get rid of relegation. 

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Gartside was also one of the buffoons that wanted to close of the Premier League in to a two tier system and get rid of relegation. 

Of course he was, no relegation means no loss of that lovely Sky money...

50 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

12 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Oh, no doubt. 
My comment was in response to @Premier ram's sympathetic post towards the Bolton fans.  Having seen their paltry attendance, I guess I was hinting that maybe they (as a collective) don't deserve such sympathy... and neither would we, if we didn't force our stadium to overflow on our "last ever match" (Perish the thought!)

Much respect for every one of the 5,454 that did turn up though. Those few will get my sympathy, should the inevitable happen.

57 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Oh, no doubt. 
My comment was in response to @Premier ram's sympathetic post towards the Bolton fans.  Having seen their paltry attendance, I guess I was hinting that maybe they (as a collective) don't deserve such sympathy... and neither would we, if we didn't force our stadium to overflow on our "last ever match" (Perish the thought!)

Much respect for every one of the 5,454 that did turn up though. Those few will get my sympathy, should the inevitable happen.

Was it a possibility at that point though. Up until a couple of days ago the takeover bid was still on, just taking its time. It’s only really come out of the blue that it’s off completely. Maybe if they could just scrape over the like for one more game, once the writing really is on the wall, they might entice one or two more fans.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

no Bolton fan , whether they were at the game on Saturday or not deserves to lose their football club, it will be a sad day for Bolton and football in general if we lose such a famous old club due to rank bad boardroom level descisions

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

We just made up all of our attendance figures when Sam rush was here though.

However if our first team was basically made entirely of youth players, we were cancelling matches because of concerns for their welfare, we had no management team, we started the season with a 12 point deduction and we conceded 5 goals in 3 of our 5 games so far this season I very much doubt there would be very many fans turning up.

And now it looks as though Bury are f'd as well with their deal falling through.

6 hours ago, Premier ram said:

no Bolton fan , whether they were at the game on Saturday or not deserves to lose their football club, it will be a sad day for Bolton and football in general if we lose such a famous old club due to rank bad boardroom level descisions

I totally agree.  A very sad day indeed, and one that could have us all uttering mention of "But for the grace of God", etc

...But when someone says, and I quote "...and Bolton fans today dont even know if they will ever see another game..."  just after I have read that a mere 5,454 turned up to watch their game on Saturday... a record low... in a stadium with a capacity in excess of 27,000... Hmmm, well...

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Was it a possibility at that point though. Up until a couple of days ago the takeover bid was still on, just taking its time. It’s only really come out of the blue that it’s off completely. Maybe if they could just scrape over the like for one more game, once the writing really is on the wall, they might entice one or two more fans.

It's been inching ever closer for months now.  I'd argue they should be turning up in their droves even when it's "only a possibility".  Why wait until it's confirmed as being over?  Once it is confirmed, then it's too late anyway (to ever see their beloved club play again), as there won't be another game!

Don't get me wrong, I feel for them, I really do, but if any Bolton fan was to come to me in the future, (assuming they do fold some time soon) moaning that they never get the chance to see their team play anymore, my first question would be "Did you get to their last game"?  My sympathy would be somewhat diminished if the answer was nay! 

See they have signed quite a few today, pleased they have been saved but don't understand why they didn't receive a further points deduction for failing to play Doncaster. Surely sets a precedent that if you don't want to bother then just call it off.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

See they have signed quite a few today, pleased they have been saved but don't understand why they didn't receive a further points deduction for failing to play Doncaster. Surely sets a precedent that if you don't want to bother then just call it off.

Or just blame the snow ?

Archived