Steve McClaren Sacked Again

David

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Frank could do worse than to bring him in to help.

The best thing he ever did was teach Sturridge how to use his arse and turn ahead or with the ball. 

If I was Frank he would be the last person I would look to.  ex England manager as your subordinate closer age group to owner, always whispering in his ear.  Holloway, rightly or wrongly, refers to this.  I agree on paper he should be able to add something to the coaching team but for me he has far too much baggage

1 hour ago, DJFern94 said:

Just out of interest, who did he sign for us? All I can remember were Roos, Nugent and loan signings of Ibe, Ince, Thorne, Lingard. 

I'd argue his signings were pretty good for us, he struggled with some of the dross bought by our other managers. 

I was referring in general, at Middlesbrough towards the end I remember their fans were a bit concerned, and at Forest he didn't have a particularly good record. For us his permanent signings that I remember were Thorne, which would have been an incredible signing but for his injury in his first pre-season game. Dawkins always looked good to me, but others weren't impressed. Albentosa is certainly best forgetting, however I don't think he was as bad as some say. Nugent was more than useful early on, but he's struggling now so still a plus for Mac I suppose. Roos I imagine was down to Eric Steel, but Mac still gets the credit as manager. Those and the loan signings aren't actually a bad record with us, it's just his record at other clubs that worry me. Even at national level he certainly won't be remembered as a success for his team selection.

47 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Ill give you that one! How on earth did I forget about him. 

And there was the loan of Omar Mascerall

Tbf they were nothing compared to the legendary signing of Leon best. The man signed to replace sammon who turned out to be the only footballer on this planet worse than sammon

1 hour ago, DJFern94 said:

Just out of interest, who did he sign for us? All I can remember were Roos, Nugent and loan signings of Ibe, Ince, Thorne, Lingard. 

I'd argue his signings were pretty good for us, he struggled with some of the dross bought by our other managers. 

I'd point to all his defensive signings as being a problem. We all know that McClaren encouraged his Derby team to play out from the back, yet he repeatedly signed defenders who were very poor passers of the football. Albentosa, Shotton, Whitbread. All of them all perfectly capable at Championship level, but all utterly hopeless at fitting into Derby's system.

41 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'd point to all his defensive signings as being a problem. We all know that McClaren encouraged his Derby team to play out from the back, yet he repeatedly signed defenders who were very poor passers of the football. Albentosa, Shotton, Whitbread. All of them all perfectly capable at Championship level, but all utterly hopeless at fitting into Derby's system.

The one I always turn a blind eye to is Shotton. 

We needed a cover right-back and Bucko would regularly get torn apart by pacey strikers and so Shotton would often play in this situation. 

He did a job in that regard. 

Albentosa was a shocking signing but his profile was so high and he cost so little that we made a profit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived