The Politics Thread 2019

David

40 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Funnily enough you could read your words and apply the exact same statement to Jeremy Corbyn don't you think?

Probably, but does he have the right of reply or has he been deplatformed everywhere?  Does he have words in the things he's said deliberately changed to say something else and published as fact?  Doesn't he also benefit from large sections of the national media actively backing him and pushing his agenda?

For example, several of Tommy Robinson's words in an interview with Sky's Jason Farrell were deliberately changed and published as fact and the accompanying video edited in such a way that it implied he said something else entirely.  Also as violence erupted at a recent MEP rally of his the narrative implied it was him and his followers that caused the problems rather than them being the victims - I'm sure the same thing doesn't happen to Jeremy Corbyn and in my mind at least, media deception and manipulation is far more scary and dangerous than anything anyone says.

But anyway I don't care today, I've got a few chores to do before I start to think about making my way down to London to stay at my sisters before the big match.  Lets all declare a forum truce and see each other on the other side.

COYR!

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Funnily enough you could read your words and apply the exact same statement to Jeremy Corbyn don't you think?

I agree with that as well. 

I'm not a Jeremy fan.

Some of the slander and mud slinging against him goes way too far.  They're all at it and that is where I'm now finding myself leaning, whoever it was who said the labels are being diluted and thrown around too cheaply was 100% spot on.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I don't think that you did.

I think that you voted to leave because you wanted somebody to blame other than yourself.

Whereas one of the reason I voted leave was to stop our politicians having somebody else to blame.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I don't think that you did.

I think that you voted to leave because you wanted somebody to blame other than yourself.

I think that you stated as fact that a no deal was closer than ever a few weeks a go.

Only to state as a fact that there is no chance parliament would ever let a no deal through only yesterday.

So maybe you don't know a lot?

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

So why did you vote leave? What benefits are you expecting?

Why did you vote to remain. 

The EU is everything a left winger should hate.

For example, it promotes austerity. We know how much you hate that.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

But anyway I don't care today, I've got a few chores to do before I start to think about making my way down to London to stay at my sisters before the big match.  Lets all declare a forum truce and see each other on the other side.

COYR!

I've just done the garden. 

See you on Monday at 3pm....at Speakers' Corner ?.

@StivePesley will be there. It's going to be one hell of a match.

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Our depleted forces are no longer a player in the world stage, you can thank the tories for that.  We built two aircraft carriers that have no planes and won't be operation for a decade, because we have no Navel forces skilled to man them.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/14/cuts-have-left-army-20-years-date-forces-not-fit-purpose/

Presented without comment.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/study-finds-uk-is-second-most-powerful-country-in-the-world/

52 minutes ago, Norman said:

Why did you vote to remain. 

The EU is everything a left winger should hate.

For example, it promotes austerity. We know how much you hate that.

Yet again, I am no Labour lefty.

You answer my question first.  As for austerity, you should spend within your means.  Collect tax correctly, and expect the wealthy to pay more.  Stop tax havens etc. We are expected to make sure the roof is on the house, bills paid, food on the table etc. and not run up massive debts (bar a mortgage) and to a similar effect, that's what I expect a government to for the country.  Only in this country, austerity, is being played out the way it is, where the poor and vulnerable are the ones suffering.

It also cuts trade deals that have massive benefits to companies and individuals.

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Yes.  Do you?

No, I'm not that privileged.

In fact I pretty much live hand to mouth which is strange considering how brilliant being part of the EU is supposed to be...

Could be worse though I suppose, I could be Greek.

3 hours ago, McRamFan said:

You do know that we massively rely on imports?  The EU has negotiated and created virtually tariff free trading with all the major markets throughout the world.  Outside of the EU we will pay tariffs, they will be more than what we pay now.

Well maybe it's time we became less reliant on imports. This obviously won't happen overnight.

Tariff free trading with all of the major markets, any reason we cannot do the same.

You should have pointed out that your last sentence is personal opinion rather than presenting as fact.

We do control our finances. 

Excellent, let's remain in the EU then and stop sending them our money and choose what we spend it on. 

Borders will be shredded.  France will let the cordon at Calais go, I take it you have seen the camps of people trying to get in the UK?

Yep, luckily we are surrounded by water.

The retirement argument is the an utter non-starter.

Why? Present us with some more facts.

Question, leavers - how do you hold the United Kingdom together when we leave with no deal at the end of October (which I think we will)?

On 22/05/2019 at 19:00, GboroRam said:

I could use some help understanding this, to be honest. To my understanding, British Steel got EU cash to counterbalance the cost of an EU tax on emissions, all approved via the government. 

The Brexit decision led to the EU removing the cash. 

Why are we still paying an EU tax if the cash rebate is being withdrawn? After Brexit, perhaps a hard brexit only, I'm not sure, do we still have to pay the tax or does that stop being a responsibility we need to consider? 

I'm not talking about the responsible approach to controlling emissions - I'm just surprised that an EU tax is the root cause and nobody is challenging it. 

I must be missing something, and I'm sure someone will put me straight. 

Heard a stat from Andrew Neill on the BBC on Tuesday.

He said that in the last 2 years, China has manufactured more steel than has been made in the UK in all of history.

They are also undercutting global steel producers by government subsidy, effectively dumping steel on the global market. No way can UK steel compete on a global stage or even remain viable without protectionist measures. 

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Question, leavers - how do you hold the United Kingdom together when we leave with no deal at the end of October (which I think we will)?

Flip the question on its head.

I've not heard of anyone who wants a hard border.

Our politicians have obviously done their research and think it is possible.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Flip the question on its head.

I've not heard of anyone who wants a hard border.

Our politicians have obviously done their research and think it is possible.

Really?

The European "Research" Group is probably the biggest oxymoron in British politics. The fact that you actually think that Rees-Mogg, a man who has moved his business headquarters to Dublin, is going to do anything to serve anybody apart from Rees-Mogg, is bizarre.

Still, at least he is openly working for the complete destruction of the Tory party, so he can't be all bad.

57 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Yet again, I am no Labour lefty.

You answer my question first.  As for austerity, you should spend within your means.  Collect tax correctly, and expect the wealthy to pay more.  Stop tax havens etc. We are expected to make sure the roof is on the house, bills paid, food on the table etc. and not run up massive debts (bar a mortgage) and to a similar effect, that's what I expect a government to for the country.  Only in this country, austerity, is being played out the way it is, where the poor and vulnerable are the ones suffering.

It also cuts trade deals that have massive benefits to companies and individuals.

Only in this country. Are you sure?

Because the EU is pro-austerity. And the description of the austerity you do not like being imposed on you in this country looks an awful lot like the austerity the EU likes to hand out.

54 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Which video? Can you link?

I'm not risking linking that kind of vid BBB, this thread is delicate enough without me doing that, I'm sure it wouldn't go down well and I don't want to cause @David any issues or reasons to be stressed.

Google Tommy Robinson rally Oldham, watch the rebel media video and then look at all the other links and stories on google page one and how it's portrayed in every other story. (it's the 19m 37 second vid with him as the youtube preview pic)

Like I say, it's causing me issues in my own head because I don't want to be thinking anything other than I was thinking before.

It's confused me beyond belief. I really dislike the bloke and what he stands for but am I even a little bit wrong and a little bit unfair?

I've got to find out for myself which means watching and reading a lot of tough stuff. Maybe I'll give up today ' cos whether I watch, research or care eitther way, nowt will change.

Archived