The Politics Thread 2019

David

4 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Can we have a general election whereby none of the current MPs are allowed to be re-elected? Start afresh.

I want proportional representation, or at the very least 'none of the above'; if not both.  Also with that, I would make it illegal not to vote.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The favourite to become our next Prime Minister. As over the last three years he's been shown to be a liar and a cheat. Someone who as done more u-turns, more changes of direction in the support of May, his own party and government. He was shown as inept and ineffectual while holding the post of Foreign Secretary. A man more concerned about himself than that of the country.

Is this really the person that we want to be hand this country's highest office.

He's perfect for the Tory party.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

And we were desperate to do so. The country was crumbling at the time as our exports were not competitive so we needed somewhere to sell our goods.

The Conservatives today bear increasingly little resemblance to the Conservatives then. I was reading an FT article that said that 50 years ago the Conservative party had 2.7m members with Labour at less than 1m. Now Labour is still less than 1m at about 600k, BUT the conservatives are at 124k, with an average age of 71.

It is not a representative party of the UK population any more.

It would be my guess that the membership of any political party is not representative of the uk population - if any of them ever were 

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The favourite to become our next Prime Minister. As over the last three years he's been shown to be a liar and a cheat. Someone who as done more u-turns, more changes of direction in the support of May, his own party and government. He was shown as inept and ineffectual while holding the post of Foreign Secretary. A man more concerned about himself than that of the country.

Is this really the person that we want to be hand this country's highest office.

If you ignore all the non-political reasons to despise him, his actual political record is so weak.

He was sacked from the shadow cabinet for lying to the leader of the party.

He was London Mayor which was probably his least worst period in politics. That garden bridge debacle was a fisaco, likewise those water canons he ordered. The main things he is remembered for are Boris Bikes and London Olympics, both that were planned and organised before he was in office. If there are any things he did well in office, I have not heard of them, but assume it couldn't have been all bad.

His infamous 2 columns on Leave or Remain surely exposed him as totally without conviction, purely deciding on the way to give him more publicity. If he had backed remain, he might have held high office in a successful Tory government and be the next obvious leader.

His actual performance as Foreign Secretary was erratic, making regular gaffes and seemingly copying Trump as a role model. If he makes it into Number 10, then we can laugh at America no longer.

He changed his mind on May's deal too.

This is an attempt at a balanced assessment of his political life.

If you bring in the whole host of other behaviour, he goes from been an incompetent schemer to something far more sinister.

Still, remember when he was on Have I Got News For You eh! What a larff.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

I want proportional representation, or at the very least 'none of the above'; if not both.  Also with that, I would make it illegal not to vote.

I was trying to read up on the potential consequences on "NOTA" it seems it's been tried before in India and a couple of other places, to be honest there wasn't anything I could find that would explain what would happen if we voted them all OUT by using that option.

Would the economy immediately fail and chaos ensue if there was no one governing us and is that even a legal possibility?

Could we vote for "no-one" to be overall government?

I like the idea of a re-start but would still have huge concerns that every layer of potential politician under the actual politicians would be just as bad and just as self serving.

Is there anyone who is prepared to lead the country for the good of it's people and not for the good of themselves and their cronies.

37 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If you ignore all the non-political reasons to despise him, his actual political record is so weak.

He was sacked from the shadow cabinet for lying to the leader of the party.

He was London Mayor which was probably his least worst period in politics. That garden bridge debacle was a fisaco, likewise those water canons he ordered. The main things he is remembered for are Boris Bikes and London Olympics, both that were planned and organised before he was in office. If there are any things he did well in office, I have not heard of them, but assume it couldn't have been all bad.

His infamous 2 columns on Leave or Remain surely exposed him as totally without conviction, purely deciding on the way to give him more publicity. If he had backed remain, he might have held high office in a successful Tory government and be the next obvious leader.

His actual performance as Foreign Secretary was erratic, making regular gaffes and seemingly copying Trump as a role model. If he makes it into Number 10, then we can laugh at America no longer.

He changed his mind on May's deal too.

This is an attempt at a balanced assessment of his political life.

If you bring in the whole host of other behaviour, he goes from been an incompetent schemer to something far more sinister.

Still, remember when he was on Have I Got News For You eh! What a larff.

You're obviously just downright biased against him. He did so much good, so, so much.

Did you miss him rugby tackling that 10 year old kid and fouling that German in an England "celebrity" match.

For god's sake's man, give your head a shake and get behind him. His wavy in the wind hair and his bumbling alone will see him established as the ultimate leader at World level.  Not to mention how good he looks in a sky diving outfit. We should thank our lucky stars he's thick skinned enough to ignore tthe idiots who wouldn't recognise a leader of men if it hit them in the face, it takes a real superman to whitewash over all those wrong sackings and reshuffle moves in order so that he can rightly be the man to make us great again.

Come on England!!!!

The worrying thing is while Johnson is the bookies favourite. All the other candidates that are vying for the leadership, don't appear to be any more capable of doing the job. We will have a new Prime Minister, a Prime Minister voted into power by a few thousand members of a single political party, isn't our democracy a wonderful thing.

14 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The worrying thing is while Johnson is the bookies favourite. All the other candidates that are vying for the leadership, don't appear to be any more capable of doing the job. We will have a new Prime Minister, a Prime Minister voted into power by a few thousand members of a single political party, isn't our democracy a wonderful thing.

Taste the sovereignty ?

18 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Has Grayling thrown his hat into the sea - I mean ring - yet? He'd get it - especially if he thinks he's sending an application in for a 'Lollipop Lady' job.

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

You're obviously just downright biased against him. He did so much good, so, so much.

Did you miss him rugby tackling that 10 year old kid and fouling that German in an England "celebrity" match.

For god's sake's man, give your head a shake and get behind him. His wavy in the wind hair and his bumbling alone will see him established as the ultimate leader at World level.  Not to mention how good he looks in a sky diving outfit. We should thank our lucky stars he's thick skinned enough to ignore tthe idiots who wouldn't recognise a leader of men if it hit them in the face, it takes a real superman to whitewash over all those wrong sackings and reshuffle moves in order so that he can rightly be the man to make us great again.

Come on England!!!!

As someone at work said, might as well give it Boris.

They're all incompetent, but at least he's amusing.

It's pretty poor that I couldn't find a decent argument against.

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Taste the sovereignty ?

Given the demographic of the people who will elect the leader, I think that's probably wee.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Given the demographic of the people who will elect the leader, I think that's probably wee.

Unlike the considered thoughts and balanced views of the £3 followers who elected Corbyn twice 

22 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Taste the sovereignty ?

Can we get to vote for the royalty?

If we have to have a new king. Can it be Harry as I don't want his 'dad', old jug ears or his Villa loving git of a brother.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Unlike the considered thoughts and balanced views of the £3 followers who elected Corbyn twice 

Yet another poster who thinks that I am a Labour supporter.

37 minutes ago, eddie said:

Has Grayling thrown his hat into the sea - I mean ring - yet? He'd get it - especially if he thinks he's sending an application in for a 'Lollipop Lady' job.

I think we should elect grayling for PM. Why not? What could possibly go wrong? 

I don't think I've referred to or implied any political viewpoint you may hold in any post just comparing the voting rights for both leaders of the major parties 

Just now, Monty said:

I don't think I've referred to or implied any political viewpoint you may hold in any post just comparing the voting rights for both leaders of the major parties 

Ah, right. There is one person who is always trying to assign labels to everything that isn't him.

Oh, wait - that's me.

Archived